What Do You Feed Your Betta?

Erren

I was wondering what food did you guys feed to you betta and how many times a day do you feed them. I've feed my giant solely on bloodworm. Result? They pumping each day. I aware the fact that, high protein food like bloodworm will pump the size but at the same time it may result in kidney problem. I've tried pellets and brine shrimps but my betta just won't eat it and spoiled the water. I just don't have the heart to strave and trained them eating other food since young. More input will be much appreciated. Female giant is more tolerate to other food as they are kept together and eat almost anything due to the fact that they are in competition for food in community tank but male giant :rant: ........

My adult fish get pellets in the morning (2) and blackworms at night (around 4-6). The half-growns get HBH fry bites in the morning and blackworms at night... same amount as the adults... they're all little fatties. If I go away for the weekend etc, I don't feed them or arrange fish sitters, and it's those couple of days starving every now and then that keep them eager to eat the pellets.

i rotate pellet brands. Sometimes if i have live food they get that, and very rarely I can be bothered with frozen food (it is downstairs and the fish are upstairs and it's all out of sight out of mind). I don't believe that a high protein diet is bad for them, they are natural carnivores. However lack of variety is likely to result in nutrient deficiency so variety is a good idea.

My lot that are in the barracks get frozen bloodworms, Betta bites and mushy peas. The community tank, they get bloodworms, betta bites and steal algae wafers, shrimp pellets and zucchini. I feed the ones at home every 2nd day (because one cube of bloodworm is too much for one day so they get more one day and none the next). The ones at work eat everyday reduced amounts except for weekends and public holidays. Amazing what competition will do though, Erren. Have you tried to feed them uncarded?

I feed pretty much what everyone else has listed. As a general rule I feed twice daily. One feed being frozen bw or live foods, the other being pellet or pea. I only feed 6 out of 7 days though. I do this with all my fish (Roy gets a bit annoyed :) ) and I've found I've had very little problem with constipation since I started this a few months ago.

Mine are fed Brineshrimp (frozen) bloodworm (mostly frozen although I do get some live ones sometimes) 3 different types of pellets, live mosquito wrigglers (in season, see above for bloodworm) and whiteworm which I culture.

I feed a variety to all my boys, Hikari Bio-GOld pellets, frozen, dried or live bloodworm, live blackworm and mozzie wrigglers. Not much though, I agree with the whole "less is better" thing. ;) The girls in the community tank are just like Mishys', they get the same as the boys, but also like to pinch algae wafers, zucchini and cucumber. :) Poor BN's don't have the firepower to beat them off.

I mainly feed frozen food and dry/pellet foods. I know I have been keeping bettas a long time, but I still don't know what the correct amount of food to feed a betta is. I just stop when their belly is nicely rounded, most of the time :) This could mean 10-20 BS/bloodworms, or 10 grade12 TA pellet/dry food. Is that too much?

I feed Tim Addis pellets, Cichlid protein granules, differing brand betta bites and flake in a varied pattern with bloodworm/Daphnia or Mytsis(?) shrimp 2 times a week and pea's/algae disks weekly (ish) adults are fed once a day with a fast day about once every 10 days. Young ones get 2 times a day except on fast days when they get 1 feed. Babies 3-4 daily every day. Every boy has a snail in his bottle to eat excess. Cheers Deb

Baby bettas up to 1 month get BBS, Tim Addis fry pellets, frozen daphnia, newly hatched mosquito wrigglers, Nutrafin growth food, sometimes orca pellets and rarely sera micron. Big bettas depending which tank they are in get frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, chichlid flakes, tropical flakes (general), betta pellets (hikari, aquarian, pen plax and vita pet) freeze dried blood worms, big mosquito wrigglers, freeze dried tubifex worms, small bits of algae wafers, shrimp pellets and live baby german cockroaches, termites and moths when they are convinient to collect. Their staple diet is the frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp in the afternoon and the rest is given randomly as breakfast. This way I ensure if I am ever unable to care for them I have not conditioned them on a paticular food. They love termites, I collect them every summer on their annual miragtion in a butterfly net, they migrate in thousands!!! Their wings fall off when you catch them and they are a nice size for bettas to eat, it's a real treat for them. Most insectivors love termites, in the morning you can see all the spiders webs covoured in termite wings and termites wrapped in spider web. It's the only time of year you see almost every garden and fence skink out during the evening.

Since there is heaps of pellets available for betta, i was wondering which brands are you guys feeding on. I'm currently using Betta bites granulas and only females like it. I have strave my male for 1 1/2 day and just take a bit on it and spit it out. There is heaps of pellets for bettas and obviously varying price as well.

• 5 months later...

I've been feeding everything and anything. Frozen foods (brine shrimp, myesis shrimp, bloodworms, daphnia), live foods (microworms, mozzie larvae), flake food (HBH flake frenzy), super soft foods (HBH krill and HBH spirulina), and betta pellets (Wardley) For the frozen foods, they get about 4 'creatures' each. They'll probably get some peas some time, too. :dontknow:

mine get fed pea (to help avoid constipation) they get frozen bloodworms as a treat but mostly they get wardley betta pellets. i've had one of mine not like the pellets, he'd spit them back out or just ignore them but i broke the pellet into smaller pieces and he ate it no worries after that so maybe yours justs wants a smaller bite!

I feed my fry chopped live blackworm as soon as they can handle it, so I can get them off BBS and MW as quickly as I can. Then all my betta are fed live blackworm only, except when I put in a few wrigglers just to watch them chew something else, which only every blue moon. I never feed pellets or dry food at all as I do not believe it is good for them. The only back-up food I will give for a feed or two when I run out of blackworm would be large frozen bloodworm.

it's funny how so many people feed peas to bettas to avoid constipation. I have never fed a betta a pea, and I don't believe I have ever had a constipated one. Having said that, i bet the buggers will all be constipated tomorrow ^_^ I had 2 bettas this week succumb to dropsy after feeding blackworms I had pre-treated with myxazin. Makes you think there may be some merit to the old wives tale that blackworms cause dropsy. Then again many people feed them exclusively and have not had a problem. It is interesting to see how it works for other people ^_^

Yes Lilli I think that is one of the great things about fishkeeping. Seeing how someone does things totally different to each other and ending up with the same goals ie: live and happy fish. Working out what suits every fishkeeper and their fish is a very individual thing. And so it should be, with each person finding out what works for them and an easy routine to stick to etc. I must say that forums are excellent to learn from and try new stuff. It can save a lot of trial and error when I know that something has worked for someone and how they went about it.

mine have a mixture of live bloodworm, freeze-dried bloodworm, hikari(sp?) betta pellets, flake, cichlid sinking granules that dont sink... those staple food tabs from JBL as well as some algae wafers ^_^, but usually whatever is on hand, and they eat like pigs.

I mainly feed frozen blood worms about twice a week. Once a week i feed them Hikari cichlid gold floating baby pellets. For a treat i give them live black worms or adult brine shrimps or bbs left over from the fry. Once in a blue moon i give them cooked peas.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering what food did you guys feed to you betta and how many times a day do you feed them. I've feed my giant solely on bloodworm. Result? They pumping each day. I aware the fact that, high protein food like bloodworm will pump the size but at the same time it may result in kidney problem. I've tried pellets and brine shrimps but my betta just won't eat it and spoiled the water. I just don't have the heart to strave and trained them eating other food since young. More input will be much appreciated.

Female giant is more tolerate to other food as they are kept together and eat almost anything due to the fact that they are in competition for food in community tank but male giant :) ........

i kinda noticed that the boy doesn't like anything but frozen bloodworm, but he DID eat some brine shrimp i'd mixed in with the BW yesterday :) he's the pickiest eater i've ever had to deal with! now because of his example ALL my males are refusing anything except frozen foods and mushy pea T_T good thing the girls are easier to deal with LOL

i never knew BW could affect their kidneys, why would this be??

but why o.o one would think that the body would simply pass excess protein out in the faeces? and since the kidney's main functions are to clean the blood through the removal of toxic wastes such as ammonia (which is then changed into urea) and to regulate the homeostasis of water and salts in the body, excess protein shouldn't affect it because it doesn't serve a function related to protein intake/excretion?? you'd think the liver would be more affected than the kidneys :)

I'm not sure I agree with the theory that chronic feeding of excessively high protien can cause kidney damage/disease as I haven't found any data to that either proves or disproves it and there are just as many people saying it is bunk as there are saying it is real. The theory goes that certain forms of protien aren't as easily digestable as others and there is a nitrogen by-product produced when it is broken down which goes into the blood stream. The less digestible the protien, the higher the levels of the nitrogen by-product produced, so excessivle levels of protien mean extremely high levels of the nitrogen by-product, which is what causes the damage.

Archived