What's in Shadoh's spawn tank

shadoh

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed the best betta breeder in the world doesn't mention anything about water changes in his videos. I've just sent him a message. Hopefully I will get an answer soon :D

He said to add a 1/4 of a gallon daily till the bucket is full once the eggs are hatched i think wich is a litre a day.. he doesnt use a filter until they are a week old either i think.

What he says is to add 1/4 of a gallon every 24 - 36 hours. It should take 1.5 weeks to fill the bucket. Once bucket is full, add sponge filter. Keep fish in bucket for 6 - 8 weeks before transferring to growout tank. No mention of how often (if at all) he does water changes during the 4-6 weeks after fresh water has stopped being added. I personally would assume to do my regular 50% every 2 days, but for the sake of the experiment, I want to emerse myself in his technique and do *exactly* what he does. After all, if you don't learn from the best, how can we ever learn at all... :P

Edited by shadoh

Um... OK, I have my answer. Wish me and my unborn fry luck....

ThaiTyBeta has replied to your comment on betta breeding-learn from #1 breeder on earth pt3:

@BrisbaneBettas hey - ok if youd of watched them all in ordr start to finish youd of heard akeady that you not have to do any water changes only additions its too hard to renove water without hurtin fry you follow my instructions on water additins begining roughly day 3 or whenever you begin feedin the fry and in roughly 2 weeks the bucket be too full add more thats when you need add sponge filter at this 2 week point then fine rest of the months till grown no "changes" just "additions"

As I will be trying for 3 spawns, we can compare results.

I will raise tub A as I would normally would - start topping up slowly once free swimming, 50% water changes every 2nd day and 2-3 feeds a day with live foods, then wean onto pellets around the 2 - 3 month mark.

Tub B will be raised using his technique to the letter. BBS for first 2 weeks then onto high quality flake food. No water changes and only one feed per day.

Tub C will be a blend of the 2 techniques. Live foods until big enough to take pellets, once a week water changes (50%), 2 feeds per day.

All fry will be moved to a larger grow out tank at 6 weeks. As it will be difficult to take photos of fry in a black bucket, the 6 week mark will be the benchmark of which technique is producing the biggest, healthiest fry.

I am really looking forward to this experiment now :D At first, I was only going as far as using the spawning technique. Now I really am intrigued as to the growing out method he employs...

I will start a new topic for the experiment.

Really looking forward to breeding betters with tiger blood and adonis DNA *lol*

winning.png

Just in case I didn't get the point the first time around...

ThaiTyBeta has replied to your comment on betta breeding-learn from #1 breeder on earth pt3:

@BrisbaneBettas #2 so thats the point there are no "changes" you do "additions" only starting at roiugjly 2 weeks old which is about time bucket can no longer have any aditions then add sponge filter at this 2 week point thats it just sponge filter from that point out no changes needed or required as long as you not poison water by over feeding. YOU CANNOT RAISE FRY SUCCESSFULLY WITHOUT SPONGE FILTER so at the 2 week point when its full you add sponge filter then fine- watch the vids-

You CAN raise fry without a sponge filter!

My last spawn is testament to that. Fair enough I left them all in the grow out tub and there are quite a few still in there (about 50 and only girls left me-thinks)... and some are a little runty... but you CAN raise a spawn without a filter.

But then who am I to challenge "the number 1 betta breeder in the world"???

Heres another great vid on how the thai's do it,only thing is its not in english,but some great breeding footages.Also notice how giant bettas are being bred using only very size tanks? Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0CvIQhWaxU&feature=related

cheers

• 3 months later...

Just remembered I had this thread. Thought I'd post what pairs I am hoping will spawn...

Wish I'd remember to clean the glass before recording :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUHLGvJ0N6c

I've got a video of another pair that I'm waiting to upload... If successful, the offspring of these pairs will be in the September show with my Blue HMs :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYXNTGnK6RQ

Hey Jarrod did I see that boy on Jodies channel? If not I like him anyway good to see you have somthing nice for you CTPK line I hope there is a spawn on the way so I can see whats hapening when I get over there LOL

Cheers

Les