What's in Shadoh's spawn tank

shadoh

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heya Jarrod,this is what I was trying to explain to ya mate.Also the ideal bucket size would be a 5 gallon bucket.

Cup for housing\holding bubble nest.

xcel3dli883.jpg

The container in the middle is where female is placed.

Water height from 10cm-12cm.No hiding spots at all for female when due for release.

xcel3dli885.jpg

ill continue later on mate when I get home.

cheers

Is this like the Thai method where they release the male and female into a shallow tub/bucket with a piece of IAL, put the lid on and just leave them to it?

I've always wondered how successful a method that is. Seems to have a pretty high rate of success when they do it on the big farms.

Would be interested on reading/hearing more too :lol:

Continuing on.. I usually have my spawning bucket marked with a pen from the outside 12cm from the bottom increasing upwards approx 2cm spacing points right to the top of the bucket(will explain why later).

So once female is released she should be right under the bubble nest with the male doin thier thing,like I mentioned before if nothing happens within 20mins,separate them and try again in a day or two.

Before I start on anything else,I came across this betta breeding tutorial on youtube that probly covers similar techniques(and alot more)that I used in the past with success,and its alot more easier to understand than I could ever explain.

Hope it helps.

cheers

Thanks Jim. Just finished watching all 9 parts of the video. A lot of the info goes against everything I have been told and experienced with my successful spawns, but hey -- at this stage, I am willing to try anything.

Off to Bunnings tomorrow to grab a couple of buckets :D

Thanks Jim. Just finished watching all 9 parts of the video. A lot of the info goes against everything I have been told and experienced with my successful spawns, but hey -- at this stage, I am willing to try anything.

Off to Bunnings tomorrow to grab a couple of buckets :D

What my mum calls nappy buckets are about the right size :) 5 gallons.. about 19L nappy buckets are about 20 :)

:) thanks for the tip!

To test this technique, I have decided to try to spawn a fish I swore I would never let near a spawn tank again... The yellow CT, curse of the fishroom. I'll also set up a CT x HMPK cross. Bring it on!!!

*lol* glad it wasn't just me that thought so. If he stopped going on and on about how he is the best Betta breeder on the planet (for those who haven't watched- his words, not mine...), he might get his message across. Regardless, I am willing to give it a go. If it works, it will be much easier to get more spawning tanks if I want to increase my spawn output :)

Hey Jarrod

I liked that yellow CT boy of yours what are you putting him to? this method would be so much easyer and you could bain-marie the buckets and only use one heater and a pump it sounds like a win win Ill try it when my new pair arive next week

Cheers

les

Yeah, I'm happy to let the poor deluded fella think he is the best in the world. If this works consistently, I'll be claiming to be the best in the universe :rofl:

This is the CT's last chance. The funny thing is that I almost kept the black orchid pair and sold Paul the yellow apache's. How different things might have been now... All I want is one CT spawn. Not too much to ask, is it?

A bad breeder always blames the fish :P

How do I know this? I have been shown the light by the best betta breeder on the planet, whose fish have the best DNA in the world (is that the betta version of tiger blood and adonis DNA?) I am one step closer to ruling the betta breeding universe, one pair at a time!

Beware puny humans!

I got through about fifteen seconds of video and had to turn it off.... the word douche continued to ring through my ears.

Exciting about trying a new method - J, will you document it for us? (You know I love a step-by-step DIY instructional!)

I've got fins crossed for you, I'd love to see some more quality CTs around- there's just not much around the LFS that are worth looking at.

And I still want my orchid CT bussy - I'm crossing fins for that spawn to come through!

While I've got my hands bloody full with growing out, there's still plenty of pairs in the spawn tank(s) that aren't gettin' busy with their bid'ness.... I'm too superstitious to mention much about them till I get wrapping - even then I've peaked too soon (i.e. Turq PK/koikoikoi etc)

Good luck Gents!

Thanks Ness. Once you remove the ego from his videos (and believe me, the tutorial could have been condensed into 3 parts, not 9 if he didn't spend most of the time big noting himself and trashing the Thai breeders for being in a 3rd world country), there are some quite interesting claims that I wouldn't mind putting to the test. If this method hadn't been recommended by Jim, I probably would have passed it by. I'll make a few adjustments, like feeding live foods for first 3 months (don't want to spend "half a decade searching the planet for the best flakes on the earth...")

I have returned from Bunnings with 3 spawning buckets. They were out of white 20lt buckets, so I had to settle for black. The good part is that they were CHEAP! $4.50 each. The bad part is that it will probably be hard to see the fry, but I can live with that. Especially if they grow bigger and faster by swimming in circles and not getting stuck in corners...

I still have a little running around to do, but will take step by step photos as I set everything up this afternoon...

Edited by shadoh