What's in Shadoh's spawn tank

shadoh

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stuck my face (and iPhone) into the front of the spawn tank to check on progress. He is slightly more subdued and although still rubbing himself up against the chimney like a dog on a leg, he is finding time to sneak away to build a nest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHez8SxJDpM

I'll leave them like this for a couple of hours while I go out, then will let her out this afternoon :D

Let the female out over an hour ago. They had a bit of a chase, but no fin nipping :D

They are currently doing circles under the nest. I used to get excited that this meant they were getting ready to wrap. I've had it happen too many times now and it has not progressed any further. I will keep checking on them and updating their progress!

Too curious not to check out what's going on under the cup, but not wanting to flip upside down, the female has worked out the perfect way not to wrap... Play dead! I was a little worried at first that she was actually dead, then she gave me a wink and shimmied away. I grabbed the phone to capture it all over again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCq__AWKoUs

One or two eggs on the floor of the tank this morning. He is hanging under the nest. She is still huge and hanging around, fins clamped. No damage to either fish.

Doubt they have spawned. Will leave em in today. This is as close as I get. My boys are all &?!@#%!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you have had better luck mate.

Had to pull the female out in the end. He was getting so frustrated that he was getting too visious with her. She was too badly beaten to continue. Perhaps she is too old to be interested in breeding... I have to admit, I've never noticed any female betta go limp and just float there when approached by a male...

Edited by shadoh

Not sure mate, she looks full of eggs though...,..

No shortage of girls available. I am thinking about wrestling my wife to the floor in front of the tank to try and give him an idea what to do. Trick is not to tell her what I am doing. Lol. I wouldn't be game. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

First up is my Big Ears HM Salamander boy and the HM Salamander girl.

He had a decent nest yesterday, so decided to let them out together today. The female swam straight up to him and immediately tried to wrap with him. Big doofus fins gets all shy and insists on doing a wiggle dance before even contemplating trying to wrap (something he has not been able to achieve in 6 spawn attempts...) During his dance of stupidity, his fins swish through his beautiful nest and destroy more than half of it... Cherry 2000 won't take no for an answer and continues trying to wrap the Dumbo while he thinks he is seductively dancing for her. He did attempt 1 wrap early on, but never got himself close enough and curled himself into a tight U shape and floated to the top stunned. After 20 minutes of trying to get the male to wrap her, the female got increasingly frustrated and started to attack the male. 6 hours on, he is sulking under the nest and she is glaring at him from the opposite corner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mijKChchIf0

Next up is my Lemon Meringue HMPK pair. I've tried spawning this pair twice before with no luck. I am hoping this time will be different. This is the biggest nest this male has built, so things are looking better in that respect.

This is slowly progressing. I let the girly out this morning. They have circled under the nest a few times. A little chasing and the female continues to approach the nest. Fingers crossed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oESpiY3UQcU

Yes highly recommend it.Put the female in the centre of the bucket(in her isolation container)so the male and the female constantly sees each other no matter where they move,that way it would stimulate them to get into spawning mode.By doing this you will also see the female build up with eggs very quickly within the matter of a week.When its time to release her,both the m and f should be under that bubble nest doin thier thing within the time frame of 20mins.If not separate them again-they are not ready.Try again in a day or two.

Do no put plants or hiding places for the female in this method,just put the base of a foam cup so the male can build his bubble nest under it(so instead of cutting a foam cup in half straight down the middle,just cut the base of it so when done you have what looks like a cookie jar or container lid,if you know what I mean?)and turn it upside down,it will float and hold the bubble nest very securely.

Geez I hate typing lol. Ill try explain myself better if you choose to try this method.

cheers

Hey Jarrod love the vids I am with Jim on the no plants if the girl is redy then shes ready and she can always go under an IAL leaf as far as I am concernd

I dohope this Lemon merange pair get it together soon for you as you have been trying with them for quite a while

Cheers

Les