My New Addition!

Anasfire

Ok here is a few photo's of Logan's tank. I don't think there is a decent pic of him in it though. I'll aim to get some decent photo's over the weekend. He also has some tank mates now too. I put my school of 12 tiger barbs in there to grow out a little and he's too small to see them as food yet anyway.

Enjoy!

100_1625.jpg

100_1624.jpg

I make sure he always eats some food from my hand at least once a day, usually some dried shrimp that I can hold between my fingers. I used to just hold it in the water without my fingers in the water but now I submerge my entire hand and he has to come eat it literally out of my hand to get it, which he does still reluctantly but he does it coz if he doesn't the tiger barbs do...they have no shame.

• 2 months later...

Here are some more photo's of Logan. He's about 15cm now and has started turning on his tank mates, found him swimming around with a tiger barb sticking tail end out of his mouth so they have now been re homed. I also found him with the BN in his mouth today so annoyed him with a gravel vac tube until he spat it out. I was hoping it'd be ok but it was headless :thumbs:. I haven't seen the peppermint pleco in a while either and it was smaller than the BN so I'm hoping it hasn't met the same sticky end. I'm currently emptying his tank and putting him somewhere else until we move just coz it'll be easier to move the 4ft if it doens't need emptying first. He's sulking at the moment so the photo's of him aren't that great but enjoy nonetheless...well enjoy my crappy photography as best you can lol

100_2072.jpg

100_2073.jpg

100_2074.jpg

It won't be long lol, I've been using him to cull deformed betta fry since I first got him so neon's will go quick smart. Oscars can swim surprisingly fast when on the hunt.

Oh and good news, saw the peppermint pleco last night, hanging around the filter, so he's still alive and not yet eated!

I would but have you ever tried to catch a pleco in a 2ft tank? difficult enough let alone in a 4ft!!! I gave it a go last night (now that the water level is lowered) but he's still too quick for me and it doens't help that there's large river stones in there as the substrate so he hides between them. I'm hoping that the only reason the BN got eated is coz he might have already been dead :thumbs: . Will have to catch him soon anyway so I can empty the tank for the move.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I've worked out that Logan is indeed a male! The guy at the LFS said that males can have a larger head and get a little lump thing happening as they get older like other species of larger fish do. I took this photo of him and realised upon editing that he has a lump! What do you all think?

SUC30055.jpg

• 5 months later...

OK, more updates.. here's a recent photo of Logan

e40c5ec2.jpg

apologies for the blurryness, seems to be my speciality you can see his 'mate' Veronica in the background...she's now been removed to a 2ft tank as he thought she was moving food.

Here is Veronica, not a great pic as she just wanted food and wouldn't stop moving!

6408994a.jpg

and this is the newest addition, Yet to be named but some of the possibilities are Duncan, Weevil and Lily (don't know if I've decided if it's a boy or girl yet.

be9ae4d7.jpg

This little one was meant to be a black & white tiger oscar but clearly it's not

Sorry about Wevil :) He was very cute. It must be very frustrating.

Logan has indeed grown into a lovely boy. I'm so glad you updated this thread or I'd never have seen it. I have been considering getting an Oscar before I start breeding fish, to put unfortunate fishys to good use, but in all the places I've asked about oscars no one mentioned they would eat my hand too! Perhaps there is a less dangerous alternative, but I do so love the oscars, there's something about the way they look straight back at you I find captivating.

Archived