What's in Shadoh's spawn tank

shadoh

Jarod, sounds like your spawn tanks is about as busy (and as fruitful) as mine !

*sigh*

I'm crossing fins, toes and fingers for you - By the way - that HMPK Male (by you) is quite something else - he's AMAZING.

Part of me is glad you'se are so far away - you'd take all the blue ribbons at the table shows I tells ya.

Good luck with the next pair.

x

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too much going on Ness, but thanks :D

The male HMPK that I bred got white spot in the spawn tank and the females belly literally exploded while in the chimney this morning, so that pairing is out the window until I can get a replacement.

We may get a couple of ribbons for CT and HMPKs, so not really any threat to you southerners and your gorgeous HMs :D Hopefully we can get a national show up and running one day... Perhaps we should organise an online Ausaqua show. We all enter photos of our fish in different categories and we have a couple of guest judges...

All my hopes are now pinned on my mystery spawn...

Hi Jarrod

So as I was reading about Opaque and when refering to the whites its steel blue Opaques we are usualy refering to so will that have any effect on the mating with a Green girl? The book I was reading dosnt cover this type of match it will be intresting if any of the fry come out Royal Blue OP

as I havent seen any pics of them

Cheers

les

Hi Les, yes, you are right, opaque is steel based. As for the offspring, I am not 100% sure what I'll end up with as I really don't know what colour to call the female. Is she a blonde teal? I guess once the offspring colour up, we will be able to determine the true colour of the female.

Still nothing happening in the spawn tank. Pulling out opaque boy and green dragon girly tomorrow to recondition them. Hopefully I will have success from them at a later date. Probably won't have time to set up next pair until next week. It will either be my silver marble dragon VT x black dragon PK or my aqua CT pair. It has been a while since I had a spawn of long tailed fish.

Also thinking of pairing my Orange Marble PK male and Yellow PK female

Oh, and the mystery pair failed to spawn. Looks like they will be busy being reconditioned too...

I'm hoping some of the luck people on here have had lately will rub off...

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks since attempting a spawn. I need some success... I am going to set up round two of the Brisbane Bettas Spawn. Male bred by me, new female bred by Busman... Will put them in the spawn tank on Friday.

Male

1.jpg

Female

3.jpg

Good luck with 'em Shodoh. Hey, do you know if the black orchids are black lace, double black or melano with enough irid to keep the females fertile? It's just a thought regarding fertility of future generations, and colour of the first gen.

BTW, that boy's from a marble line... Busman is not gunna cope with the unpredictability of it all!

I think we worked out the orchids are melano (could this be why Busman is having a low hatch rate with fry?). This girl has a lot of irid in her body. From the transparence of the boys fins, I'd call him a black lace based marble. I like the yellow in his fins, but know that it won't show in next generation, as the orchids throw red devils. To be honest, I can't wait to see what we get colourwise...

Hi Sara, yes, that's the same girl. She got over her shyness once I left the pair uncarded for the day yesterday. I will do the same today.

And, yes, CTPK do look amazing. I am yet to see one in person. Was it you that said they were working on starting a CTPK line?

Did you breed your CTPK from scratch? If so, how many generations did it take to prove the finage?

Marble dragons are a favorite of mine (you might have noticed :D ) Marble dragon CTPKs would look amazing!

Just something to think about ;)

Really not sure why Paul's having trouble with second gen on his black orchids. Melano is supposed to result in failure of hatching of the eggs the girl lays. These are hatching but not surviving from what I understand. If it were melano related infertility I'd also expect that the first gen would have had the same issues...but Paul had to cull large numbers. Go figure.

I was thinking more if double black, then you may end up with some melano only blacks in future gens... But I just calculated this won't be possible if crossing with black lace. So just ignore my earlier comments.

I started off with some imported ctpk and infused the line with some F1 ct x pk

It's going to be an adventure (and a challenge) to start from scratch. Maybe we can exchange offspring further down the track :)

I've got a pair of red ct coming in the next import batch that have webbing reduction on their pectorals (like mini caudals) I think they could be interesting in a ctpk line, although I do't know why I want to set myself the challenge of working on webbing reduction in MORE fins lol.

Could the poor hatch rates and dwidling numbers be because of inbreeding? That is exactly what happenens in other species because no new blood has been introduced.

Good luck with this pair Jarrod!

Edited by Matt_95

I had forgotton the resulting fry would be long finned cT. I was lying in bed thinking of getting up to setup a long finned spawn as it has been more than 12 months since I spawned long fins *lol*

Ps: the female isn't too shabby either... :D