What are your breeding goals?

shadoh

I was just wondering about whether other betta breeders out there are working towards a specific goal ie: developing your own line or are you breeding for the fun of it with no specific goals apart from healthy, pretty fish?

I, myself didn't really start out with a goal in mind. I bought some quality stock to try different types of betta right across the spectrum with the idea of breeding each pair, then deciding whether to develop the line further once I see the offspring.

I know a few things so far - I like marbles and dragons. I am falling for plakats, despite my initial interest in HM's I LOVE my white pair.

From this I have decided I want to travel down a few different paths.

1. I want to develop a solid coloured dragon HMPK line.

2. I want to develop a marble dragon HMPK line.

3. I want to continue the White HMPK line.

4. I want to have the occasional "fun" spawn (ie: my DTHM orange/blue BF)

The goal would be to improve on finnage and form within the line to produce some show quality fish I could enter in competitions.

From this base, I would consider:

1. Crossing any of these lines with big ears bettas and creating a big ears version of any of the above lines.

2. Crossing any of these lines with a long finned betta and creating a HM/CT/VT version of any of the above lines

What are your plans?

Follow your bliss :D

You know mine mate. I breed for fun and for nice fish. I seem to drawn to CT at this stage but HM will happen when right pair appear. Always be aiming for better than what I start with and would love my own line. :-)

Sounds great Jarrod! :applaud:

I'm super new to breeding (haven't had a successful spawn yet, many attempts.. getting there though). So not sure if I actually have breeder goals - I just want a spawn with some decent fish! Busman's CT pair are stunning, I wouldn't call them decent - gorgeous things they are.. so I guess I could say CTs? I've always loved CTs, found this forum looking for local CT breeders.

Buutttttt... I would eventually like to work on Chocolates/Mustard Gas, with the strain name Cinnamon Ninjas. Oops, that's my dirty little secret I've been plotting on for quite some months haha. There goes Matt's tease on you all. *lol*

Well now you all know. I was thinking I MIGHT have to go to AB for that. Scary.

The main thing now is to remain focussed (for me, anyhow) I get too distracted by the purdy fishus :blink:

Sarah, Cinnamon Ninjas is an awesome name for a strain. You seriously have to try for it :D once you get them fixed, you could always cross them to a CT and create a CT version and call them Cinnamon Ninja Throwing Stars *lol*

Paul, like it or not, you are and will probably always be known as the CT breeder of the current breeders on here (that is unless you find the right HM pair that will make all your previous spawns pale in comparison :) A HM version of the Black Orchids would be nice :) )

My short-term breeding goal would be to actually raise the kids up to 3 months mark. I think at that point, the kids would be tough enough to actually be treated as adult and more resistant to changing water conditions. :lol:

Opposite to Busman, I'm drawn to HM at the moment, but I can see myself leaning towards CT; especially after seeing his orchids :lol:

I've only had one successful spawn, but my main goal is to just have fun and get lots of baby fishies!

Although, I'm trying a spawn now to get PKCT's, but it will take a few gens to get to that point, and I haven't even managed to get the original pair to spawn yet! That is my goal for now, but it is starting to test my patience so I might give up on it soon.

My breeding goals are to try breed bettas that wont fight, I'd cross some marble dragon pk's to a imbellis and bred the most peacefull of each spawn and cross back to the dad. I'd like to be able to house pairs together. I realise its a far off dream but thats my goal nver-the-less.

Jarrod, Sarah was going to use fry from my choccy dragon pair.

Busman Paul, you'll always be the CT guy *lol*

Kertaz: That's a perfect goal to start out with :) I'd love to try CT, but my yellow apache has made me so frustrated that every time I look at a CT, I feel stressed out *lol*

LMF: Crowntail Plakats :D I'd love to cross one of my Red Devil Dragons with a red CT female - one day perhaps :) I'll save it for a fun spawn. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on your progress and see what I have to look forward to...

Matt: Then you better get that male well and get them to me so I can create the future parents of Sarah's line *lol*

Actually, I want to try out CT, but I got no source of excellent CTs here. <_< Can I try your Yellow Apache? Lol, j/k :P

I have an empty spawn tank at the moment, and if I can get quality CTs soon enough, I'd use it to breed CT; if not, then it's either more half moon or maybe another species.

For me,

I aim to spawn betta that have a bit of spunk/personality. I know this depends on the environment. Imagine having a betta that say hello to you by waving his little tail as wave whenever you walk past. Or following your finger around the front of their jar like a little puppy dog. (A bit of imagination goes a long way)

Serious talk

Aim to produce white HM with prominent muscular forehead (bull dog fashion), would call it Bull terrier line :), Good form and fighting attitude

Also working on CT as well. Any Colour CT but with 4 rays extension instead of two rays extension. Just feel its more realistic to have evenly spread 4 ray extension in a crown like fashion. (Half moon form of course with plakat body shape).

My two cents.

I've only had once successful spawn- combtails, as a practise spawn- looking to get rid of them at the moment, thats proving a job. :blink:

But like Luv_my_fish, I want to develop a couple of lines of CTPK's; Dragon CTPK's with a lot of dorsal finnage ( not length ).

Eventually I want to depart a bit from the traditional body shape of a betta- I want to select for increased body length to get a more serpentine look.

Anyone selling some CT's at the moment? :lol:

Concentrating on wild types here at the moment - particularly the mouth brooders

I'd not only like to see more of the wild types being kept and bred but more keepers of these species to ensure good bloodlines in Australia and reduce the numbers taken from the wild. Where the wild populations are in danger to establish captive populations in Australia - especially species such as Mahachai and others on the IUCN Red List.

Also determined to get my rutilans and tussyae to breed (from the coccina group of reds)

And one day to breed a line of giants - black / copper / steel and if I get really adventurous to try for a giant CT - and later on to bring marbled and other traits in from selected fish. (dreaming about this one still)

Hi All

I would like to develop a sym and asym Red Platnum Dragon HM PK line with the same in copper and gold I just bought a Red gold Copper DT HM PK pair today that I have been looking for for a while now as far. As temprament goes I love the PK pluck they are fiesty and free spirited my goal with the Syms and Asyms would be to reach showable standards even though Perth dosnt have any shows I can always hope

Cheers

Les

hmm

I started with the aim to create solid pink betta with and without butterfly pattern but that died down a bit, going to resurect it soon with one of Ness lovely boys

Im also pursuing metalic marbles atm, with aims to have heavily coloured interesting fish no cambo/clear but who knows with marbles hey :P

Ive picked up many lines along the way but never had sucess continuing them :( i would love to start a lavender dragon line.

What a fantastic thread, I've always thought it's good to just articulate what your goals are with the breeding bit - as you've said Jarrod, even if it's to pair your fish and raise a healthy spawn... always good to have an idea of why.

I think I stated my goals somewhere recently... gah... my brain isn't that stretchy (Sarah?) I Seem to have misplaced it....

Anyhoo... Interested in those breeding for temperament, while it's not traditionally how people approach breeding, the Portuguese breed their Lusitano horses for their minds, compliant, willing, agreeable horses

There might be the most perfect looking stallion standing in a stable, waiting to kill the nearest rider... and it won't be given a second thought for the breeding program.

Then there's the "donkey" down the road who's ears prick up every time his rider comes near, and he's first in line.

The result are super intelligent horses that love their work.

(Never say never Matty!)

I like geometry (in fish) and healthy dispositions.. but with my recent frilly RT comb tail OHM show pony fish, my breeding principals are out the window - he's the romantic choice... but it'll just end in heart-break.

So I'll probably end up with the more 'correct' fish in the spawn tank.... *sigh*

I wish I was more rock 'n' roll.

-safeteyNess

As for the 'why' I tried to achieve my goal, it's pretty simple. If I can't raise a healthy spawn, then other goals won't be achievable :lol:

Once I can consistently raise healthy spawns; then I'll think about creating my own line :)

I was going for some pink/lavenders but as my spawn ended up all female and I lost my male I guess that wont be happening any time soon.

From my first spawn I am now working on a round tail line and seeing as I have the nice surprise of dt's in the latest spawn I will try following that line if I can get a nice pair out of them.

The other spawn I have is a red/blue CT spawn. Not sure how that is going to work out as the male is mostly red with a little blue and female is blue with a little red. Am thinking red/blue CT line obvioulsy but will wait so see what colours/patterns I end up with. The first spawn I had was also red/blue combtails so they may be able to be crossed into this line as well.

I would still like to find a green hm or dthm to go with my green dthm and follow that line.

I have no ultimate goals but will see what comes out of each spawn and then decide where to go next :)

From my past experience of fighting fish when I was young boy, I find for this time temperament as a breeding goal is a big thing for me. I love to see bettas or any fish that can interact with the customer or at least show some confidence. Majority of the time I look at the fishes in my LFS, not one of bettas show their true colours. I would only give a betta a second look if they show CHARACTER! :) then I will look at its form and colour.

This is why I am hoping I can get a my personalised breedline line of Bull terrier HM (Opaque colouring HM betta with much tenacity to match the actual pedigree name).

Thanks MT.

But,realistically, my short term goal is to get my pair to spawn. And like you and Kertaz as well to produce healthy spawn. Maybe one day I can show them up in future Vic Betta show. (That's my ultimate dream: to be in that show and also to get the Breeder's badge)

Yeah! I wouldn't mind bumping Razzi off the first place podium at a Vic Betta Show too! (the ladies have done it, but next time with one of my males!)

*eheheheh* nothin' like a little healthy competition!

Sounds like moves are being made for the whole showing and Aussie betta community to have more events and official shows.

So we can all enjoy sharing our goals in an official capacity.

And still - everyone's all moving in such great and different directions, it's amazing!

-Ness