Banana, My Axolotl

Sarah

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Shadoh & Busman. :)

Found this morning tiny little 'lotl footprints in the sand - adorable!

Thanks, Tenedor seems to look a bit better today... a little perkier than she has been maybe?

Busman, axolotls originated from both Lake Xochimilco and Lake Chalco, in the Valley of Mexico. Sadly, Lake Chalco has been drained, in an effort to prevent flooding, and for expansion. The only remains of Lake Xochimilco are canals. Due to this, axolotls are now extremely endangered in the wild (and I've heard Mexicans.... eat .... axolotls).

Since they are from Mexico, I couldn't quite understand how they need the cold.. turns out their lakes were glacial feed, so would be chilly at the bottom. :)

Edited by Sarah

Have heard they taste like chicken *lol*

Seriously though, I was watching a documentry on them a couple of months ago and the film maker spent 7 days trying to find some wild axies in what's left of Lake Xochimilco and couldn't find any. The water in the canals are now so heavily polluted, that the small population of axies left only live in a tiny part of the canal system.

In regards to eating them.... somebody was telling me, with details, how to prepare and cook an axolotl... and said that they taste like stringy, leathery, chicken. :eek: I think I'll trust them on that one.

Thanks for the article Jarrod, quite sad really. :(

Spanger, I'll try to as soon as possible.. but my camera batteries died and I don't appear to have spares.

:rip: Camera batteries.

Yes, true NannaJo!

Might borrow mum's camera later. :)

Just thought I'll let you all know Tenedor has had a HUGE improvement the past few days. Decided to add an IAL to her little hospital tub, why I didn't do so before - I don't know! :dance:

Happy to report Tenedor's fungus is 100% gone, and has been gone for three days - no chance of coming back... (should have mentioned a few days ago, but I er... forgot sorry :blush:).

Anyway, she is still separated, and I'll keep her as such for about a few weeks to a month. Just to make sure, and to let her recover, get in perfect shape and everything before going back with the boys... who are searching for her.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little bit of a photo shoot, because Sonriente was looking extra happy (he is generally a bit of a mopey pants). :lol:

Used mum's camera (need new batteries for mine), hers doesn't seem to focus very well through water - so photo's aren't great.. but still nice. :)

First a few shots of Banana. :woohoo:

Tried to get a shot of him eating a worm, he is much to fast!

Axolotls007-1.jpg

Oooh... belly looks kinda funky in this pic!

Axolotls005-2.jpg

^and yeah, I put the plant back in AFTER photo was taken. Why do we notice these things afterwards? :rolleyes:

Axolotls003-2.jpg

I love when axolotls stand up on their back legs, begging for foodables!

Axolotls002-1.jpg

Axolotls001.jpg

More to come!

Sonriente again -

Sonriente006.jpg

♥

Sonriente009.jpg

♥

Sonriente021.jpg

♥

Sonriente024.jpg

♥

Sonriente026.jpg

Gorgeous thing was galloping from one end of the tank, to the other.

Banana was sitting on the rock (photos above).. and Tenedor was napping. :P

Thanks Jarrod.

Banana & Sonriente are in the big axie tank, Tenedor is still on her own. Her fungus is all gone, but the very tip of her tail has been eaten away from it, showing bone. Just letting her heal up, get in the best condition possible before putting her back in. Maybe another week or two..

Last pictures!

Sonriente027.jpg

Gah, there was water on the glass, quickly wiped it so I could take this pic, didn't work! Would have been better with water drops.

Still cute though.

Sonriente031.jpg

Banana slowing climbing down the rock - Sonriente was getting all the attention, Banana got jealous! :giggle:

Sonriente030.jpg

Sonriente029.jpg

Sonriente028.jpg

Loving the sand, looks much better. The axies adore galloping across it - they can move much more freely now! :)

Thank you Paul & Jarrod. :)

I'm really loving the sand... and there are always little 'lotl footprints in it - just adorable! :wub:

As for hard work, um.. they aren't hard work at all really - they just need to be fed (which is a joy, I never tire of watching them eat, still giggle everytime haha), and with the big 400L tank, I hardly do any water-changes!

Hardest part is trying to get pictures hehe, they are all like, let's do super-cute poses when she doesn't have the camera; when she gets it, let's walk away! <_<:rant:

BUT... ATTENTION... yeah, they soak it up alright!

Oooh... is this tempting anyone to bring a 'lotl into their lives maybe?