Banana, My Axolotl

Sarah

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I see taking the invading language of the cruel and plundering spanish brought with them along with desies and enslavment over the indigenus langouge for an indigenouse species. Na only joking I like the sound of the names but i thought it was a good ribbing LOL maby LOL come on LOL

Cheers

Les

Thanks, Busman. :)

No luck yet, I've heard Winter is the time. I might take out Tenedor (the female) next Winter, house her somewhere else for a little while... then put her back in. This is supposed to get them started or something, kinda like the 'shiny new toy'... :lol:

Hey Les, yes chillers are a great thing to have... you don't happen to have a spare one laying around, do you?

I've been taking the lids off, frozen water bottles.. that sorta thing. Chiller would make it a LOT easier though.

I would LOVE them to breed. If they do, I'll raise the eggs, but I'm not expecting any anytime soon, what with Summer just around the corner.

Then of coarse, eggs are said to pop up when you least expect them. :)

Hi Sarah

I have seen chillers for sale in the clasifieds over hear but they seem prity pricy some people have them for ther marine tanks I think.would placing them in realy large tubs like the black preformed ponds over winter giv them a chance to breed? any ways and I hope those eggs pop up for you at some stage

Cheers

Les

Yes.

People often use them for marine - my sister's coral all died last Summer because she didn't have a chiller, unfortunately. :(

Not sure about the tubs, they are in a 400L tank, I think it's just a matter of giving them cool, clean water, and waiting.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't update! Well when I went away the other week, my brother took EXCELLENT care of everything - all axies, fish, and dog. Oh, and turning the light on & off on the planted tank - a very important part.

He went to check on how everyone was going every hour - for 1.5wks!

Little 'lotls were 3cms when I left, I returned to find Lindo at 7cms, and Hameriento at 3.5-4cms. :)

When I got home, he told me he didn't know how I looked after everything all the time! Haha, I offered him do to waterchanges that day (didn't get him to do any, only on the blackworms), "NO thanks!"

Oh, and I now have a new addition.

Pics later.

Edited by Sarah

That is so goood of your brother, finding a good fish siter is a rare thing for most of us. Did you injoy your time away/ and is that a good growth rate for Axis?

Cheers

Les

PS My brother wont let me get his children the Axis couse he dosnt like them :(( but I will have to work on him a bit I think

Yes, very good of him. Let's just say... my brother isn't the best with pet care... but he tried very hard for MY pets.

I did enjoy my time away, thanks. Was much too wet for dirt/quad bike riding, or horse riding - but had a good time regardless.

Young axies grow very fast I've read - just didn't know it was THAT fast. I think it's an excellent growth rate. The breeder went away for the same amount of time as I, and came back to a massive growth spurt.

That's a shame - keep working on him! Or maybe a Betta instead?

A Betta would be a great pet, Les! Maybe one day they could work up to the axies. :)

Maybe they could help you raise your spawns as well.

Haha Jarrod... if you insist! It's nearly feed time for the little 'lotls, I'll try and grab a few piccies then.

SFF - you know you want to. I find them easier to keep then Bettas, actually (other than temp and they need a lot more space).

Well, this is the new addition!

He is from Jha, not sure what to name him yet, although I think I'll stick to the Spanish theme I have going. Still looks like a youngster just coming into maturity.

HMpairaxie045.jpg

HMpairaxie042.jpg

HMpairaxie041.jpg

Sarah, I'm surprised that you say they're easier to keep than bettas because they look like they have a higher demand. I've got some questions if you don't mind:

Are they generally active creatures? I've seen them at the LFS but they're almost always sitting still, not moving around very much.

Do you need to maintain a strong water current for these guys? As I understand it, their natural habitat is in moving streams and they also need a constant moving current to help them breathe. Is that right?

Do you need a chiller for summer?

Edited by SiameseFightingFist

SFF, I personally find them to be easier than Bettas - possibly because this year I've lost so many Bettas due to water, disease, etc - but the axies are fine. Not sure... maybe that's it. Bettas are a lot harder than the LFS makes it look!

As for their activeness - youngsters swim around a lot, but as they become adults, they tend to stay at the bottom a bit more. They generally laze around the tank-bottom, but do swim sometimes. I'm leaning towards them being partly nocturnal, as I'm pretty sure they have their swim parties at night time when I'm not looking! As for them looking still at the LFS - yes they generally are still, but the LFS don't really look that happy, as do the bettas in jars. They are often housed on gravel in LFS, and anything smaller than the size of their head is eaten, and gravel can impact them.

Axolotls prefer a gentle current. Strong currents stress them out. I have a canister filter with a spray bar, that seems to be OK.

As for a chiller - very much recommended! I could REALLY use one of them, Summers are a NIGHTMARE! I just can't seem to keep it cool easily at all.

I recommend reading these links, if you haven't seen them already -

http://www.axolotl.org/index.htm

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles_axolotl.shtml

http://all-about-axolotls.blogspot.com/

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)

Hehe, thanks Les. :)

Six axolotls now.

Adults -

Tenedor - leucistic

Sonriente - melanoid

Feliz - copper

Banana - golden albino

Little 'lotls -

Hambriento - wild type

Lindo - copper

I took some photos of the little 'lotls, I'll upload them soon. :)