Banana, My Axolotl

Sarah

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Les... bet your niece will love her axie. Make sure to post photos of him/her once you buy it. :)

Where's Tenedor?

Snakeskin-axies005.jpg

Sonriente particularly likes this little log hide - but Banana had taken over it!

Snakeskin-axies006.jpg

Banana -

Snakeskin-axies041.jpg

Banana & Tenedor are particularly affectionate towards eachother... cutie pic, lighting was terrible so I made it sepia.

Snakeskin-axies046.jpg

Wish I got a better pic of Banana & Tenedor above, but THIS little one was begging for attention, and kept nudging and licking me -

Snakeskin-axies021.jpg

Who can resist that face?

A few decentish photos of the 'elusive' Bastante to come.

Haha, thanks Shadoh. She smiles quite a lot... just not when she is jealous! :D

I'm sure you know how it goes with your furry Betta Harvey (it was Harvey, right?).

Ooh.. forgot to post pics of Bastante. He is in a container (in a bigger tub normally, but moved him so I could get DECENT photos) - so a bit hard to photograph. Better than nothing though.

Snakeskin-axies008.jpg

Snakeskin-axies019.jpg

For size reference -

Snakeskin-axies029.jpg

You can see the chunk out of his tail here -

Snakeskin-axies031.jpg

Just above his gill, there is a tiny white patch. Little suss about it, think it MAY be the beginnings of fungus. At least, if it is.. he is in QT, so it cannot spread to the other 'lotls.

Snakeskin-axies032.jpg

Nicola, they are lovely creatures indeed! Each has a distinct personality, and yes, they always have a smile on their face. :)

*lol* Sure there are lots of attention wars in your house, Jarrod!

My furry axolotl gets VERY jealous. You cannot hug/hold any other pets, babies, or take too long looking at the fish/other axolotls before you hear that little 'woof woof.. I'm here... I need love..". *sigh*

Oh, and not sure how Fur Betta, Maddy likes being called #2!

Hi Sarah

I have a chance to buy some Axoloti like the pic of Bastante and about his size they are ten bucks each is that a good price do you think I want the as a suprise for my nephew and niece when they come to live hear so do you think a very responsible 10 year old could look after one she has a python if that helps

Cheers

Les

Hey Les, sounds awesome!

Axolotls generally range from $20-30 here in Sydney, so a bit cheaper in Perth!

As for responsibility, I had my first Betta, a blue VT named Bubbles when I was 10. I'm sure with the correct guidance (maybe print up a couple care sheets), you will have a really happy nephew & niece - and axie!

Although bare in mind come Summer, it's a NIGHTMARE to keep cool. Lotsa work in that .. with maybe a holiday in the fridge haha (I want a chiller.. gahh..).

Have a look through this links: Axolotl.org, Axolotl Care Sheet, and the Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Sarah

I have bookmarked those sites and they are realy great all the info anyone could want I will let Phoenix join the cordate forum when she arives as I will be minding them both I know she will have a million questions and it will be easyer if she asks them her self

once again thank you

Cheers

Les

Leucistic axolotls often get 'freckling' on their face (and a tiny bit on the body)... and today I just noticed Tenedor is starting to get this 'freckling' - it's just starting to come through!

In other news, axolotls gills are connected to their mouth, so sometimes when you feed them, their food escapes by climbing out through the gills. *shudders*

Just fed my fish a treat of bloodworms, and had some left over - so fed to the axies. As Banana gobbled them down, I noticed bloodworms coming back out THROUGH HIS GILL SLITS!!!!!!!! These are FROZEN bloodworms (thawed), so not even live. Creeeepppyyyy.

Edited by Sarah

This is the first time it's happened, was a bit of a shock. They came out, and were gobbled again. My dad calls this 'recycling'. :rolleyes:

You should try to feed yours earthworms. I dig mine from the garden and rinse them off, soak them for a minute - then the axies LOVE them. They are a much better staple diet then pellets, although I do feed mine pellets whenever I can't find worms/can't be bothered looking. Give it a ago - Captain Slow will thank you for it (would cheer him up, nothing cheers up a sulking axie like a tasty worm). ;)

Edited by Sarah

Hey Les, I would LOVE to have a worm farm - but mum won't let me. Her reason is that they eat kitchen scraps, so that takes away treats from the chickens. Ah well.

Ewww.. not cut up! Earthworms excrete somesort of substance when stressed, which tastes bad for predators. If you soak them for a minute, it seems to wash it away.

Mmm I could. I don't have any trouble with worm supply's though - we have a 1/4 of an acre, so lotsa places for worms. Need lots of worms - I have four hungry little monsters to feed! :lol:

Ooh.. exciting! What colours?

You should try worms though, I couldn't recommend them enough - the axies LOVE them much more than any pellets, plus they are the best staple you can give them.