Banana, My Axolotl

Sarah

Salt baths, once a day (sometimes twice) for 10mins.

Friding often helps, I had Aristotle in for about half a week; mum gracefully let me take half the top shelf (she's great).

Couldn't put them ALL in though, but just keeping the water cool for them. :)

Most fish meds are poisonous to 'lotls, so I don't ever use any, just in case. ;)

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have noooo idea how long it took to load this page - all morning! AusAqua is not working for me today. *sigh* Anyways, she hasn't layed yet.. is starting to swell so will be soon. You CAN keep them in, but for the best chance I'm going to separate the eggs into tubs/tanks with gentle aeration. Shadoh.. they lay a LOT more than Bettas, with the average number of 300. So I think I'll let Matt have 30. *lol* Going to take photos of everything (hence the sperm above.. but that's also for proof if something goes wrong, like egg eating or something.. never know). Hoping to have a log of egg development. Matt, what about Brad & Janet? Didn't you say you were only keeping two adults? Still unsure who the father is. I think it's both, both males all over her.

Is it possible that she gets sperm from both males?

Try and explain that one in a paternity battle... Yes we're twins, born at the same time from the same mother, but we have different fathers!!!! :blink:

Um, not sure really. Both males appear to be .. taking turns, but I think it's a case of who get's their sperm up her vent first. Well as long as I get little lotls, I don't really care (gosh I sound terrible aye :blink:).

She hasn't laid yet. Soon though.

Her gills are bright red while resting (blood flowing), and her cloaca is also starting to swell. Big belly.

Justin said she would probably lay last night, if not today. Looking for her cloaca to 'volcano out', as he said it.. like the second picture on the right, HERE. That means she will lay within a few hours.

Sooo excited!

Thanks Busman Paul & Shadoh.. really looking forward to it!

Oh, sorry... Justin is somebody from the salamander forum, he breeds lotls and other newts/sals. How rude of me not mentioning who he is!

He said axie larvae are a much easier than fish, let alone Bettas... so good to hear. :)

Ah, Justin eats everything! Gee, thanks to him I had a dream the other night on how much meat would be on a lotl! :eek::(

Ed found that very funny. -_-

Just 10?

To make sure you're hopes aren't TOO high, often the first batch don't make it. The larvae hatch, just fail to develop and die. :(

But if you want only 10, that's fine.

Edited by Sarah

Not yet.. soon hopefully. :)

Can be up to three weeks, but generally two days (been more than that).. so anytime. Will keep updated - when there are eggs, you'll most definitely know! *lol*

OK.

UPDATE.

Tenedor the expectant mother has been brought down by a nasty fungus on her lovely long tail. It is being treated, and hoping she will fair well.

Sadly, in this sickness, she has reabsorbed the eggs.

BUT, good news - she is acting well, eating happily, and other than the nasty fungus, seems OK. Also, I have a feeling there may very well be larvae still on the way... Banana and Sonriente are starting to perk up again!

Although, I do not want her spawning in sickness, so I shall be separating her tomorrow when her accommodation will be ready for her stay. She will be allowed to go back in with the boys when she is completely healed, and I'm absolutely satisfied the fungus isn't coming back.. with her in the very best condition of coarse.

Thank you for reading. (I sound so formal on a forum aye.. nice).

Tenedor is separated, I haven't seen a huge improvement... but I think there is a bit of it. :)

I've been informed that she is not indeed albino, but leucistic.

While she has red eyes like an albino, she has the little black rim around the iris indicating her leucism. Leucistic or albino, I love her either way and this will never change.

APPARENTLY, leucistics are somewhat rare in Australia.. so hehehe... I have one! :giggle:

ANYWAYS, today I redecorated the axolotl tank, looking lovely if I may say so myself.

I swapped the river-rocks for sand, even though they were a good size for the 'lotls, they are just SO MESSY.. and the sand looks soooooo pretty, I should have done this long ago.

Also moved the plants around a bit.

Pictures tomorrow when it is all settled down (tease). :)

Edit: Thought I'll mention while I dearly miss Aristotle Axolotl, after Sonriente and Banana have bred with Tenedor; the trio have formed a bond, even Banana & Sonriente appear to be good buddies.

Yet, while Aristotle Axolotl was their close friend and companion, he does not appear to be missed by them.

Little disappointed, I mean really... forget your friend because there is breeding to do? Shameful.

I for one, my axolotls.. miss Aristotle Axolotl and you three are disgraceful. Maybe one day they will come to realize this. Or maybe not.

Edited by Sarah

Well, photos are here earlier than promised. :)

I don't believe I have a before-full-tank-shot, so you'll just have to make-do with the afters. ;)

MumsCraft034-1.jpg

Tank is still a little cloudy, I'll get better photos when it is all cleared up... but I just could not resist posting a few now. :P