Banana, My Axolotl

Sarah

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a little bit of re-arranging. The rocks were going to go in my future cichlid tank (need more).. but until it's set up, thought my marshmellows would enjoy it. Mm... maybe I'll just keep them in there anyway. :P

Bastaneandtank003.jpg

Bastaneandtank005.jpg

Bastaneandtank006.jpg

Banana -

Bastaneandtank010.jpg

So QT time for Bastante is up.. I decided to float him in the tank... then decided to put him back in QT.

Why? No, he isn't sick. BUT, he is acting VERYYYY strange... even looking strange.. for an axolotl, that is.

His eyes are protruding out of his head, not like an axolotls eyes should.. I've been watching since I've had him, they are definitely growing. Not like an axolotl version of pop-eye.. but like a terrestrial salamanders eyes. Not like the typical neotenic axolotl eyes at all.

He keeps trying to get out of the water, so I decided not to put him in the shoulder deep tank. Like climbing out, and always has his nose sticking out of the water. So I wanted to see something.. I don't like to touch my axolotls (damages their slime coating).. but I held Bastante just out of water, with his nose next to the water. One push and he would have gone back in. So, if I did the same to any of my other 'lotls - they would have pushed back into the water in a heartbeat. Bastante, on the other hand, seemed CONTENT out of water. Not a good thing.

Only possible thing I can think of is morphing. Axolotls morphing into terrestrial salamanders is a very rare thing.. but not unheard of.

Although, his gills have GROWN a tinyyyyy bit since I got him.. so it cannot be a morph, or they would shrink.

I don't want it to, as it would greatly shorten his lifespan to a couple years, rather than 15-20. I don't think it is.. but he keeps trying to get out of water.

Anyway, he is back in his QT tub until I figure out what is going on. Going to ask some salamander experts later today (Matt... I mean Justin/Thomas/Ed). Hopefully he is just a weird axie.

Bastaneandtank013.jpg

Bastaneandtank015.jpg

Bastaneandtank018.jpg

Bastaneandtank020.jpg

Bastaneandtank021.jpg

Looks very nice Sarah! Axies look so much nicer without the worms protruding from their gills. I'm afraid it will take me some time to get that image out of my head and get the warm fuzzies for them again...*lol*

Salamander! Salamander! Salamanda! lalalala!

:D

Although his lifespan would be shortened, it would be a fascinating transformation to witness firsthand!

Sorry about that Jarrod.

It would, but unfortunately, I just checked on him... he has passed away. :(

It was definitly a morph.. he was looking a more 'salamander-ish' then last night. Have buried him.

:rip: Bastante.

Bastaneandtank017.jpg

Bastaneandtank018.jpg

Mum's making chilli & garlic prawn linguini for dinner tonight, so I asked if I could have a prawn for the 'lotls.

I've never fed a prawn to my axies before, but I've heard they love them, and are good treats.

So Tenedor was the lucky axie who got it.

For some unknown, strange axie reason - she was eating sand at the start. Then *gulp* gone.

Axolotls have tiny teeth, but they use them for gripping their prey, and swallow their foodables whole.

If we were able to eat on the same scale as them - we could swallow a basketball whole!!! :o

Banana again. :)

mylotls024-1.jpg

Sonriente dancing. :)

mylotls016.jpg

The reason Sonriente doesn't often get the spotlight is he is camera shy. He has a way of coming out and doing cutsie marshmellow things while the camera is nowhere near me. As I go and get it - back of the tank, behind a plant. Typical.

Sonriente came out for a play, while the camera was in reach (about time). :)

mylotls009.jpg

Banana, it's not nice to sit on Sonriente's head. Note Tenedor up the back!

mylotls003.jpg

All three much loved marshmellows together. :)

mylotls002.jpg

Tenedor. You can see her leucistic black patterning starting to come out on her face -

mylotls005-1.jpg

mylotls007.jpg

Hi Sarah Yes I do like the wilds myself but with out the iridophores he looks even better than a wild I also like the look of yellows with black eyes the red eyed ones remind me of a steven king movie LOL

Cheers

Les

• 3 weeks later...

These are some odd photos from the past few weeks:

Axiesandfishies001.jpg

Axiesandfishies002.jpg

So I put this lovely aquarium rock that mum found in the backyard from years ago... unfortunately have had to take it out, as the axies have cut themselves on it. Banana has two broken toes, Sonriente a bit of fungus on his gill, due to banging it on the rock. Seems to be gone now and healing up - but feel pretty bad for putting the rock in in the first place.. they are so fragile.

Axiesandfishies004.jpg

Axiesandfishies003.jpg

.... and, I have very exciting news!

This afternoon, I'm going to pick up two eight week old axolotl juvi's!

Photos of them will be posted as soon as possible!

My gorgeous little 'lotls are in their new home... such curious and active little things.

Love them already! So adorable - and only about 3cm!

Please excuse the floor of the tank, the tank has been stirred up once they went in, and I took the pictures literally straight away haha.

Meet Lindo. His/her name is Spanish for 'cute'. :)

LittleLotls006.jpg

LittleLotls023.jpg

LittleLotls008.jpg

LittleLotls009.jpg

Edited by Sarah

Aaannndddd... meet Hambriento - his/her name is Spanish for 'Hungry' - a very fitting name for an axolotl! :lol:

LittleLotls014.jpg

LittleLotls016.jpg

LittleLotls012.jpg

So now for names, I have -

Tenedor - Spanish for 'Fork'

Sonriente - Spanish for 'Smiley'

Hambriento - Spanish for 'Hungry'

Lindo - Spanish for 'cute'

and Banana. The yellow one. :woohoo: