Heating Fishrooms

luv_my_fish

I'm sure that's what he meant, yeah :)

As for an aircon, I think it would use alot of power, perhaps in part because it would keep the room at a particular temperature rather than just supplying heat when the temp falls.

That it can cool and heat is why I would very seriously consider one in a purpose built fishroom, after losing several tanks of fish over that really hot weekend.

In my small fish room

I use a column oil heater.....insulated walls and ceiling

Entrance door is well sealed...

Less heat required if you don't let it escape easily.... :)

Water has a good thermal mass so it doesn't take a lot of energy to keep it warm if it is in a well insulated space...

I can give you some knowlege on cost difference for heating fishrooms. When I originally built our shed I insulated and lined it with R2.5 batts plus wet area plasterboard. I have a 6mm cable from the metrebox to the shed, underground between the house and shed. Many powerpoints high wall and ceiling positions, a powerboard connected to most of them.

Thought we would be fine electricity account went from $450 quarter to $1200 per quarter initially when we had tank heaters to heat spawning tanks and aquariums filled with jars. We locked up the shed and left the hobby for approx. 3 years.

When we re-entered the hobby we were told of how many tropical fish fishrooms are heated with gas space heaters and then when the February heat waves arrive people are out taking lids off tanks addding spraybars and fans trying to keep the temperature down. We went with a inverter reverse cycle airconditioner, $1500 less a rebate from the manufacturer. Electricity to maintain air temp around 24C-28C, our barracks system has 6mm glass with lids water stays around 25C all year round. Including running the lights T5's above barracks and other aquariums, plus 4x 4ft roof floro's average is $10 per week. for the shed, with tarrif changes since it was started it may be getting close to $11 per week now.

Inside a house where you have heating and cooling for the comfort of people, there are many options and a small room size airconditioner may present as a cost effective way of keeping 50 to 100 jarred fish happy.

We have seen that our situations can be different.Depends on the size of the space,insulation etc etc.

For a smallish set up floating in a heated tank is the best option.

BTW.....condensation and mold can be limited with air-cons.

Evaporative coolers are pretty useless in humid conditions.

There a good idea but I would be worried about how waterproof they are! Im sure that they would have thought about that as some pets arent happy going outside in the cold to pee lol.

Also wattage would something else I would want to know.

Also price wise... whether it would be cheaper to have cord or a pet mat... i.e. which would heat more beanie boxes/tanks.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would bring this thread up again because winter is coming and I have another question...

I have 3 lots of 3 chamber barracks.

The dimentions for each section are

L - 14.5cm

D - 15cm

H - 20cm

My question is, if I put a 25w heater in the middle compartment, would it be enough to heat the other 2 compartments or atleast take the chill out of the water? Of course the middle fish would have it fully heated (lucky bugger), but the others would still be comfortable right?

Do you guys think this would work?

I've been using a large tub, half filled with water, with an underwater heater and pump. I then place my coke bottles with the fry in the heated water. I put the lid on on top to keep the humidity in. It has been working quite well so far and with the lid on, the heater doesnt come on as often but the temp has been pretty constant ;)

I'm trying an oil heater at the moment which is taking the chill off, but not too much more. I'm going to get a small fan heater next week (Aldi has a heater sale, what timing!) to give that a try, but they also have a ceramic tower heater that claims to be energy efficient. I like the sound of efficiency.

How well do these work, does anyone know?

I am currently wrapping my breeding tank and possibly a couple of others for the winter. I am using a product called 'FormShield', which you can get at Clark Rubber but bigger hardwares might have it too.

It's about 12mm thick and grey with foil on one side. It's mostly rigid so you can cut a size to fit a window and just 'jam it in there'. :dance: I'll be cutting panels to size and using tape on the joins, so that my tanks are wrapped completely (except the front).

It's a very effective insulator against heat/cold, but it's a lot more expensive than bubble wrap! But then, maybe you can reduce your power bill this way.... I am sick of throwing a doona over the Oscar tank in winter! I want to see my beautiful baby...