Transport idea.

Fletch

Just a thought, would love some input both good and bad.

Am having a trial shipping run. I am seriously considering using med size orange juice drink bottles. Well washed of course. These could then be slid into and packed tight inside the cylinder.

Would this work?? I really want to use the cylinder pack as cheaper and less chance of damage. Will get the tiny cylinder bags of someone in the future but would the orchy bottles work??

Thoughts??

Edited by fishbites

Hi Busman paul

Are you prepaired to drink that much soda? How is the insulation in the cylinders? I would think container that would help keep a constant temp a better alternative just a thourt

Cheers

les

If I surround the bottles with paper and seal cylinder then it should be somewhat insulated. Overnight ...so hoping they will survive.

Each bottle hold about 500ml so fill it 2/3.

Edited by fishbites

Good point Razzi. Will test that and was also going to tape lid as well. Heat is my biggest concern. In summer I am not worried but winter...........not sure. Have been told others do it so this is a test. I know at the other end the fish will get the immediate attention required so that's a relief.

Wouldn't have thought the sides of the bottles would be too hard. When I have had fish in takeaway containers, you see the water slopping around but this fish doesn't move much.

The bags I have won't fit inside the cylinder. Only if I fill inside cylinder which would make it a tight fit, then worried they will pop if something dropped on it.

Those tubes literally get thrown around and squished into the smallest spaces in the delivery vans. Also, if the cylinder is on its side is the water going to be deep enough as that's more often than not how they are placed on the dlivery racks while waiting for the vans to pick them up. In actual transit they would more than likely be upright.

Just some thoughts :)

bubble wrap is a good insulator.... paper is too and it soaks up leaks..... check out your LFS - I got some small styrofoam boxes about 25 x 25 x 15 that were used to transport frozen foods - my LFS was going to throw them but i took them - they don' t buy from the same supplier now but if you check round they are brilliant for shipping small fish and once the box it taped its pretty strong....

Re fish sloshing round in bottles - you could put a bit of java moss in with them or hornwort to soften the ride......

I just received 4 x wild type Bettas in a small esky inside a satchel from Sydney and had no probs with their survival or health on arrival.....

Edited by fishbites

java moss and longfinned bettas can be a bit troublesome i had one i transported from my house to a meetup and his dorsal got tangled in the moss rather tightly was hard to remove and for awhile remained crumpled but eventually went back to normal.

Transport is an interesting debacle.....

I was throwing around some ideas with Kermadum when he was shipping out his dragon spawn....

I plan on shipping interstate with a most fantastic durable, strong, insulated and FREE resource!

Go to your local GP and ask him to keep all the Vaccination boxes - they are these brilliant 3cm thick wall'd boxes, often about 30cm x 15 x 15cm with a secure lid.

I have one that is so strong that I can stand on it to reach my upper tanks (STRONG!)

They usually get thrown out by the dozen and GP's are generally happy to have them taken away.

They'll cost a little bit more as they're bigger than the cylinders, but there is no chance of the direct casing that the fish are in, breaking or being damaged by rough handling.

I get where you're coming from, but I've dropped a bottle of tonic (1lt) and had it explode form the force of the drop, that plastic isn't great after a certain amount of pressure.

I'd recommend a few trials interstate, full of water and empty of fish!

Keen to hear how you solve this, as I'll be following your lead down the track!

-postmanNess

Going to see someone in the next few days, going to get some proper betta bags. Will ask her advice. She has been very helpful in the past and we have spoken to her about our plans and she was very supportive.

Sorry for the delay Sarah but this all happened pretty quick and don't want to rush it. I want these fish to have the best chance at survival. :-).

@Ness

Im on to that box idea Ness thanks

@ Busman

as long as the box is strong and you put the right stickers on it IE LIve fish, This way up, Fragile after that its up to haveing a good carryer but I do think styren and papper even in summer as you dont want them to get to hot ether

Cheers

Les

@Ness - funny you mention Vax boxes. When I vet nursed we were required to return them. Hrm.

@Busman - I wonder if you could look at wine postage options. possibly not cheap but should be well padded and sturdy and you know you'll get the right volume of liquid in there to keep a fish happy.Not that I'm suggesting you buy one of these for each fish you ship but we even have one of these at work

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/374759717/Bubble_Wine_Bag.html

http://bubble-wrappackaging.com/wp-content/uploads/aes/Bubble-Wrap-Packaging-Shipping-Supplies_132.jpg

Once, I came to a LFS on the day they received new fish.

They had the fish double (or triple) bagged, full of oxygen (or air) inside a styrofoam box, then inside a cardboard box. The problem would be on where to find a suitable sized boxes for the task. If it's too big, it'd cost a lot to send it over. If it's too small it'd be easy to be thrown around..

I just had an esky of fish sentr from Sydney (to Melbourne) which was clearly labelled LIVE FISH but the courier company obviously had difficulties in instruction handling and read it only as FISH and sent the parcel on a refrigeration shipment so that the fish would remain frozen and not thaw and spoil. I have just been at their office banging the esky on their desk and saying words to the person. They are going to replace the cost but what a horrible waste of wonderful creatures.

So be very very careful when shipping fish. There are idiots in the world

That's horrible. Sorry for your loss. Your luck must be bound to change mate, stay positive.

Can imagine the "words" you were saying to them.

No they have obviously had a consultant review their customer complaints area. The person was a youngish lady and had such a look of pity for me on her face and I obviously had to be polite (ie not words screamed at 200 decibels and relating to various body parts and functions)

Gee Bill :( you must have run over a black cat lately with all that's happened :(

Courier's are not all the brightest crayons in the box.... I had a courier lady poke a hole in an esky (which had LIVE FISH) on the outside) - she told me proudly that she had done it as the esky was taped up so securely the fish might not get enough air to breathe..... She only barely understood when I explained she could have punctured the plastic bags that contained water that fish live in!!!

Edited by fishbites

Hi Busman Paul

If you go on to the Aqua Bid forum ther is an artical a guy in America put in about shipping and how he rigs out his containers have a look it might give you some ideas and I will keep looking for other articals OK

Cheers

Les