Banana, My Axolotl

Sarah

Hi Sara

Master I come seeking knoledge my question is

When an Axolotl morphs can they still breed or do they have to breed before they become Salamadas? I am only asking as I would love to get a morphed Axol and build for him a world worthy

Cheers

Water Changer

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dearest Water Changer,

I very much doubt they will breed, once morphed. Tiger Salamanders rarely breed in captivity, and they naturally morph.

I would think morphed axies would be far too weak to breed, as well.

As for getting a morphed axie, it is entirely up to you, but they probably won't live long at all - maybe a year or two if you are lucky. Neotenic axolotls (the un-morphed ones, in the water) are a far better choice in my opinion.

Updated pics.

They are sure taking their time to morph, 2wks max was the expected amount, but it's been much longer than that. Somebody suggested they could be morphing slowly, which COULD mean it gives them a better chance - but these are guesses, not facts.

Sonriente -

morphingaxies001.jpg

morphingaxies002.jpg

morphingaxies003.jpg

morphingaxies004.jpg

*ONLY HOLDING HIM FOR THE PICTURE... I DON'T ACTUALLY HANDLE THEM*

Sonriente seems more morphed in his head, and body - but not his legs (should be thicker). Feliz, on the otherhead appears to have the eyes going on, with the thick legs nearly done - but his body is still in the neotenic form.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yes, interesting news about the morphs.

They have decided to start growing a few gill filaments, where morphs SHOULD be losing them completely, until they disappear altogether. They are also eating - which morphs shouldn't be doing.

BUT I was 100% sure they were morphing, I'm sure they even blinked, which means eyelids...

So, now I'm pretty confused.

Asked Ed, he doesn't know.. said it was strange, but he was certain they were morphing. Same with Alex & Oliva.

I'm keeping them just the same - with water covering them, and they are able to climb out. No idea what's going on then.

Justin says if the gills are growing back, they aren't and weren't morphing.

VERY odd. I was certain, they had all the signs, even eyelids... and once the morphing starts, you CAN'T reverse it..

False alarm?

Confused.

Well I guess that has to be it.

I've seen axies pull their eyes into their head, and I've also seen Bastante blink (the one that WAS morphing and died)... they look very different, once you've seen the two.

Their body shaped changed, and one time Sonriente came out of the water, and waved his tail at me in the defense some salamanders have (although Amystomids aren't known of doing this - it was suggested that they were just getting the hang of morphing, everything is strange, etc).

Can't find it but theres a mavoritum doing it on this page, next to the melanoid one :)

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.caudata.org/cc/images/species/Ambystoma/A_mavortium3REILLEY.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml&usg=__-8FHhGek-wUZH0vuXbrOyRasc6M=&h=204&w=350&sz=24&hl=en&start=2&zoom=1&tbnid=DZSrJSuGvJ8wqM:&tbnh=70&tbnw=120&ei=ojbwTpTSBLHPmAXvka2AAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dopacum%2Bunken%2Breflex%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-US%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

• 4 weeks later...