Banana, My Axolotl

Sarah

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for answering all my questions for me Milk Crate. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm homeschooled. This is our 5th year, I would be in year 9.

I love it, I've learnt so much more than I believe I would have in school, and we are able to focus on my interests. For science I just finished a "swimming creature" coarse, for example.

Haha, Feliz is a definite cutie. :)

Banana doesn't seem to hang around Feliz, though, while the others do. He will then glare at the happy group - can axolotls get jealous?

Banana was sleeping on his side the other night, freaked me out, thought I had lost him... but he is fine. Watching him VERY closely, doesn't seem the "normal" thing. While having my face pressed against the glass scanning him over - Tenedor was trying to eat me through the glass. Made me smile, even after my little freakout.

• 2 weeks later...

The HEAT is already hard to control in the axolotl tank.

My parents said they will buy me a chiller for Christmas - but I can have it now so they don't heat up too much until then!!!!

Well most of the axies have gone off eating for a little while, and are pretty skinny. I decided today to get them something different, something a little fatty than earthworms - pinkies (newborn mice) and beef-heart.

The plan was not to let mum know, but she guessed in the shop when I she wanted to know what I was getting, I said she'd prefer if she didn't know, which she then gave me a horrified look and said, "not those baby mice!?!?!".

Yes, though baby mice.

Tenedor and Sonriente have had one, Banana & Feliz haven't yet - they don't seem too interested.

The pinkies, to be honest, are pretty cute! Can't believe I'm saying it. I was actually holding one, staring at it... then mum came in the room, tried not to scream and I quickly ran off.....

Thawing out beef-heart now, hopefully Feliz & Banana will show some interest.

Banana has been eating a few pellets, but only grudling. A little worried. Feliz snaps, then spits the food back out. Sonriente has gone off food for a week or so, but decided he is hungry again. Tenedor and little 'lotls as normal - HUNGRY.

Hoping it's just the heat and the chiller will put things back into order. They aren't looking as plump/healthy right now as they normally do.

Banana & Feliz have accepted the beefheart!!!!! :cheer:

They only ate a tiny tiny bit, but they ate it. Especially happy about Feliz liking it - he hasn't eaten in a little while, and is very skinny.

Little bit of leftovers, the little 'lotls will happily clear that up.

Glad I fed them in a bucket - it is SO messy, keeps flaking away!

In the meantime, you can fill a couple of empty softdrink bottle with water, freeze them down and float them one at a time in the tank to bring the temp down. If you use 1 at a time, you always have 1 ready to go in the freezer if needed. It's what I did last year to try and bring the temp of my sorority tank down. Got up to 36 deg before I noticed... :blink: Worked a treat. I have a friend who has converted an old bath tub into a goldfish pond. She does this every year to stop her fish boiling in the summer heat...

Hi Sarah

they sell fans that sit on the side of tanks and blow across the surface of the water to help cool tanks so using that principal you could lower the temp slightly by having a fan blow across the surface of the water and with Jarrods sujestion it could help until your chiller comes along. I love the pinky story I was chukling away and my wife asked what was so funny when I told her the look on her face was priceless her words wher "Dont you go getting any ideas" LOL

Cheers

Les

A few quick photos from the other day.

Tenedor -

tankandfish011.jpg

Panda001.jpg

The little 'lotls!

Hambriento has lightened up, he was a dark, almost olive colour. Has two little dark spots near his nose, which I think is pretty cute. He is also catching up to Lindo in size. :)

I put them in a container/bucket if feeding frozen or messy foods. Earthworms are just given in their tubs. This meal was just the leftovers from the adults - beefheart, with a little pinky. I caught Hambriento eating the tail of the pinky, and one of them also ate a leg. Tenedor later decided to eat it - the little 'lotls weren't very interested.

tankandfish002.jpg

tankandfish007.jpg

tankandfish005.jpg

It would more than stress me out!

I have 6: 4 adults, and the two littlies.

Hambriento is the wildtype little 'lotl,

Lindo the copper little 'lotl

Tenedor the adult leucistic

Feliz the copper

Sonriente the melanoid

and Banana - the golden albino.

LOL Dont you dare edit it out if people cant handle it then they dont have to look. That is the sign of a dedicated fish keeper satisfying the needs of her wards. I did laugh prity hard when I first saw it though I dont know why but I did

Keep up the good work sarah

Cheers

Les

I did a fair bit of research on this, it seems the only salalmders we can keep are axoltls and giants salamders, to keep them you need an aquaculture permit I'm pretty sure as you can only use them for reseach and food. They are to big to keep for most people anyway.

I am trying to figure out who I should email regarding salamders though as I hear we do have some stil in Australia before they wer banned from being imported, I've been looking for some newts and can't finf their status in Asutralia.

If you are interested here is the risk assesment for the tiger salamder. http://www.feral.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Ambystoma_mavortium_VPCendorsed_270410.pdf