Banana, My Axolotl

Sarah

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Paul & Jarrod! :D

They are both super cute. Lindo is a little more interactive than Hambriento, Hambriento is the shy one who runs to hide when you come over.

I can never catch Lindo's colour on camera, s/he is a gorgeous lemony/lemon meringue. Lindo is also twice the size as Hambriento.

LittleLotlsStickInsects003.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects007.jpg

Getting a bit of a belly!

LittleLotlsStickInsects008.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects010.jpg

LittleLotlsStickInsects012.jpg

Edited by Sarah

No, but I move around alot and have had to get rid of a few fish over the years :(

I think I will just stick with bettas until I settle down somewhere though. It is too heartbreaking getting rid of all your tanks and fish, but I wouldn't mind if they went to you because then I know they would be looked after :D

SFF, I personally find them to be easier than Bettas - possibly because this year I've lost so many Bettas due to water, disease, etc - but the axies are fine. Not sure... maybe that's it. Bettas are a lot harder than the LFS makes it look!

As for their activeness - youngsters swim around a lot, but as they become adults, they tend to stay at the bottom a bit more. They generally laze around the tank-bottom, but do swim sometimes. I'm leaning towards them being partly nocturnal, as I'm pretty sure they have their swim parties at night time when I'm not looking! As for them looking still at the LFS - yes they generally are still, but the LFS don't really look that happy, as do the bettas in jars. They are often housed on gravel in LFS, and anything smaller than the size of their head is eaten, and gravel can impact them.

Axolotls prefer a gentle current. Strong currents stress them out. I have a canister filter with a spray bar, that seems to be OK.

As for a chiller - very much recommended! I could REALLY use one of them, Summers are a NIGHTMARE! I just can't seem to keep it cool easily at all.

I recommend reading these links, if you haven't seen them already -

http://www.axolotl.org/index.htm

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles_axolotl.shtml

http://all-about-axolotls.blogspot.com/

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)

They are meant to be nocturnal, but Captain Slow spends all day swimming and playing and sleeps at night.

Ooh... busted... haha.

What do you mean the first time you've seen them? I sent you photos the day I got them! Remember? You were away, and asked for tiny pics so you didn't have much to download... you were all like they're so cute...

I have to start calling you Dory, so forgetful. :P

152012b8f7z4ci5w.jpg

I know that, that's why I told you! I'm pretty sure I said something about it on the phone as well, although not positive on that. I definitely did tell you elsewhere.

I was kinda hoping for a duel! That would be fun................. for me. :giggle: