Diy hiding places for fish

thegatti

I have just successfully placed all my female bettas into my 70l tank. They angels seemed to be a bit agressive towards them at first but my girls all hid in whats left of a grassy plant. They all seem to be getting along now, but I would like to know how to make some hiding places for their security.

I only have 2 girls in my community tank and they like to hide out among the plant leaves , I think they think they cant be seen by the other fish , anyway it works....and my boys dont need to hide as they are alone but they do like a terracotta pot for time out.

There is plenty of stuff out there you can use for hiding places for bettas... like the ones I mentioned above! Just need to get creative, you can also use plastic cups weighed down with rocks; containers are just as good such as yoghurt containers. If you’re looking for something that isn’t tacky then you can buy ceramic logs with holes in it, castles, driftwood, fake plants and other decorative items from your LFS

Doesnt that answer your question?

Just a quick tip about hidy holes....make sure any holes or crevices are big enough for the fish to pass through entirely and not get stuck..bettas are very inquisitive (silly) when it comes to sticking their heads in small places and tend to get stuck.

Just a quick tip about hidy holes....make sure any holes or crevices are big enough for the fish to pass through entirely and not get stuck..bettas are very inquisitive (silly) when it comes to sticking their heads in small places and tend to get stuck.

Yep, fancy sea shells are not good homes for bettas, as the 8yo brother-in-law found out...

• 1 month later...

jusdeb, if only i worked that out before i got my 3 spot gourami a wife, she liked my lava rock, too much :rant:. I used lava rock until that day... but now i love coconuts, cut a hole in it, then cut it in half, through the radius of the hole, and vola 2 caves for bettas kulies and guppies! yay!

(bigger fish can lift the coconut (bettas included i think) so no traped fish)

:P Gaza :P

Why to aviod flowerpots with small holes:

RM1.jpg

This fish died 2 days later from injuries. He cut a large portion of flesh around his middle and damaged his gills, I was trying to collect him from his tank when he swam into the hole and wedged himself in there.

Rocks are pretty good, get a nice flat one and lean it against a round one to make a cave. Some silk or real plants in the back and your done.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used bamboo for a hiding place. I've been thinking about it and the idea keeps growing on me. But the key question: Does bamboo sink?

I just thought if you buy say 2 metres of the stuff (<$10) at whatever diameter, then you could cut some different lengths that fish can either swim all the way through, and some that are cut near the thingy, section whatza dodat (1st year botany obviously didn't pay off) to have a closed end, a cave for catfish?

Am I crazy, or would that work?

If you look at the cell walls of a cut piece of bamboo it has a lot of air pockets so I imagine it would be a bugger to get to sink. Then you need to get hold of raw bamboo , untreated.

Then you need to know if any thing funky will leech out over time....unless someone else has tried it successfully Id give it a bit of a miss.

BUT yes it would look good and it would make a cosy little cave.

Bamboo is used for food vessels and utensils so I'd put money on it being safe for fish. But I'm not sure about it sinking though. I put my bamboo spoon in the sink with water and it floats. But if you soaked it long enough if it might sink eventually.

• 1 month later...

I use bamboo in my tanks. I got given some raw bamboo that were in lengths of about 1.5m each. I cut each section so that one end was open and the other was blocked by the inner wall.

I had to soak them for ages though and I have got to say it stunk. they do float but I weighted them down and now they sink on there own like all wood some tannins do leach but that doesn't bother me.

The original soaking helped reduce it.

I use them for hiding places and breeding caves. My gudgeons, gobies, catfish and loaches love them.

It helps that the segments are all different sizes so each critter has their favourite piece.

One thing I have noticed is that the inner wall eventually wears thin and gets holes in it, I'm not sure if that is because my Bristlenose love rasping on them though.

Hope that helped.

• 4 years later...

Does coconut shell or bamboo rot or go bad 'off' over time? How often should it be replaced? Also with the coconut shell do you have to sandpaper all the fibers off the outside?I just have a horrible vision of smelly fungusy organic things rotting or is it like wood?

Archived