Fishroom Makeover

Bettarazzi

It turns out that I've got this whole weekend to myself with no scheduled activities until dinner on Sunday, and no one else at home until Sunday afternoon. So I've resolved to do something about the primeval chaos which is my study/fishroom/storeroom.

You see, I am getting my LFS to design and build me a custom multi-storey tank stand so that I can maximise available space. But this thing will have a footprint of 1000mm x 600mm and I won't be able to get it in the fishroom unless I do a massive clean up.

Now I know what I'm like and I could easily waste away this entire weekend browsing the internet and staring at the fish. The only way this is going to get done is for me to commit myself to it publicly and make myself accountable by giving regular updates. I will post before and after photos but not until I've started to make some progress and maybe not until I'm done.

Goals

To create sufficient space for the new tank stand

To put everything kept in the room in a designated place

To relocate everything that doesn't need to be kept in this room

To throw out everything that doesn't need to be kept at all

To move all tanks which are spread around the room onto the existing shelf

To Do on Friday evening

1. Feed fish and perform water changes

2. Treat baby guppies for whitespot

3. Check on spawning pair

4. Weekly grocery shopping

5. Complete all other household chores

6. Organise meals for entire weekend

7. Take 'before' photos

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But do I really have to post the photos if the before photo is total rubbish dump and the after photo is still recognisable as total rubbish dump? :lol: OMG what have I done?? Maybe I'll delete this thread before anyone else reads it.

Ugghh! I'm not having fun at all. Really not progressing as well as I'd hoped. I was a bit ambitious about what I was going to achieve last night and although I did everything except item 5 on the list, I went to bed exhausted and a bit disappointed. The housekeeping chores are a biggie. I'm on strict instructions not to play in the fishroom all weekend but to complete some housework, specifically, cleaning up the lounge and dining rooms. I had a slow start this morning, had too long a lunch bread and I really only started working on the fishroom a couple of hours ago.

So far today I have:

- gotten some tank cover glass cut at the glaziers

- checked out new office chairs at OfficeWorks

- partially tidied the dining room

- cleared out two shelves in the linen cupboard because so some stuff from fishroom can go there

- found a new spot for the wine rack

- refreshed the CO2 bottles and then discovered that my Aponogeton crispus is flowering which distracted me for about an hour!

OK here's what the room looks like now. Still a lot to do. I've changed my approach. Rather than sort through everything, I'm simply moving stuff off the shelves so that I can move the furniture where I want. I'll sort and trash as I put it back. The filing cabinet on the left edge of the photo needs to swap positions with the reddish brown shelves on the right behind the white shelves. I feel like I'm moving house! Actually it would have been way better to move into an empty house and just start from scratch.

I'm running out of time. Before my partner gets back in about 2 hours I need to finish off the household chores that I hadn't completed on Friday evening, as well clear away all the rubbish room stuff that's spilled over to the other rooms. The plan right now is: short break for lunch, housework, then move everything back in the room. I think I'm going to have to complete this project over thee next week. Well at least the furniture will be where I need it to be.

Oh I meant to say that the reason for the strict instructions about housework this weekend is because we are getting a new housekeeper/cleaner. Now can someone please explain to me why I need to make sure that the house is spotless before the cleaner comes? I thought that's what their job was.

Had to put some reverse psychology into play when my partner arrived home. Here's how it went:

Now honey, I know the place looks like a hurricane just went past, but look at the sparkling stove and kitchen benches. Haven't done anything about the lounge and dining room I know, and there's stuff everywhere, so how about I skip dinner at your friend's house tonight and keep going with this.

No, Michael, you come to dinner, you can keep working on this during the week.

Well apart from it striking me as odd that my partner gets called honey, sweetie, darling but I only ever get called Michael, I think I averted World War III rather well there.

:lol:

Robert is doing a lot of the cleaning but then there is a lot of his stuff in there. We just don't have before pics but might get some of what it is now. On Wednesday week we have a Split System Inverta air con being installed which should make temp more consistant and the whole shed more efficient. Then there is just the Betta Barrack to get done.

Wow... well done... thats looking pretty good... were going to need a photo update soon lol.. and geez your super lucky with your partner... my bum would have been kicked out for the night if i pulled a stunt like that.

Wow... well done... thats looking pretty good... were going to need a photo update soon lol..

Yeah... I'll take another photo soon. There's not been that much of an advance. Now that the weekend is over I only have limited time to spend on it. And there is a lot sorting to do. So it pretty much looks the same at the moment.

Hmm all of a sudden I don't feel so bad about my bedroom!!

j/k can't wait for you to show us the result of the aftermess(is there such a word?)

This reminds me of the last spring cleaning I've done to my bf's room. I normally wait till my partner totally turns his room upside down, then I go in there to do a cleaning. Usually end up being me with a big garbage bag asking 'can i throw away this?' 'this needs to go right?' 'you don't need this anymore!' Not that my bf has much of a choice since either he finds a place to keep his stuff tidy or all needs to go.

Keep us updated with ur new fish room design!

spring cleaning I've done to my bf's room

want to be my gf for a few hours, my room needs a clean lol. only kiddin.

seriously though my room needs a massive clean as well, although there is only one fish in my room at the moment (rest are in living room lol) the rest of the room is a MESS!!! i wear my clothes for the day, i come home take everything off throw it on the floor, there it stay for about 3 weeks when i run out of every single piece of clothing i have lol, there is cans of coke zero everywhere, rubbish bags from things i buy all over the floor along with winfield packets and every other bloody thing in this world.

im thinking about doing the same thing as Michael but im one of those people who watches a bird but ends up chasing an ant. *short attention span*

Archived