Fishroom Makeover

Bettarazzi

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow... i thought slightly asian accent maybe, but boughetto you were smack bang on the money.. well done... Mike you should go back for a few... days... and on the way home you can bring back lots and lots of nice fishys for us all :)

Mike you should go back for a few... days... and on the way home you can bring back lots and lots of nice fishys for us all :lol:

I'd love to do that, believe me. But hang on haven't we already got Jodi-Lea doing that very same thing at Aquarama?

but someone charges... where as because our plan was to steal them from thailand and bring them back in the special plastic made pockets that were going to put in your pants we wouldnt have to pay for them... although we'd have to video tape you going through the x-ray machine, it would be great for you tube.

back to topic - hows this room coming along lol.

Don't worry Ned, I wanted to smuggle in little hermit crabs from Fiji when I was 9... before I knew anything about customs and so forth. They were literally ALL over the beaches

The room is not going all that well. I've really only spent a couple of hours working on it since the weekend. The filing cabinet and wooden shelves have swapped positions. I decided to adjust the placement of the shelves and every one of them had to be unbolted and the whole thing assembled again. Took me 2 hours!! There a helluva lot of stuff out in the hallway. I had to bring some of it back in so we had a tiny amount of room to move in the rest of the house. Bit embarrassed about how long this is taking but here goes :(

I know the pictures are bad. I think I should have just left the camera on auto!

I hate the shelves under the window. I'm hoping I can shove them in the roof space.

Some of the books made it back onto the bookshelf

Can't use the desk anymore

I hate the curtains as well. I think I'm going to get rid of them in favour of blinds. Although I wonder if curtains keep the cold out better than blinds. Those windows aren't exactly weather-tight.

• 2 weeks later...

Very slow progress on this room. Since the last update I've attached lights to the wooden shelves and sorted through a couple of boxes of junk. Still lots more to go. The customised tank stand is a no go. Too expensive. Twice as much as I originally thought and I already thought it was going to be expensive. In a way this is a good thing because it's made me rethink how big a setup I really need. I'm thinking less is more at the moment. I was originally wanting to be able to house 4 simultaneous spawns ie 4 sets of breeding/growout tanks, 4 sets of juveniles barracks, plus room for adult males and females, and the ability to expand into killies and guppies. Now I'm thinking ditch the guppies, don't worry about the killies for a while, and only handle one spawn at a time.

But I still need another set of shelves. Ikea had a fairly robust shelving series called Gorm. The shelves have a load capacity of 50kg. But it's been withheld from sale because of some quality issues. So Ikea are Gorm-less for the moment. (:) there's just no limit to my comic talents). I need to find something that will allow me to expand and contract my setup as required.

those bloody Gorm-ies of today, i tell you what... :) ohh that sucks about the shelves though, geez it sounded like a massive set up... but sometime is better then nothing and im sure youll get there one day!!

Just keep on keeping on and keep us updated on the room. a few more boxes and she'll be apples mate.

I actually had a fairly satisfying evening in the fishroom. I've attached lights to the shelves, attached powerboards, suspended an airpump, got airline going into everything that needs it. I've even got some gentle bubbling in the unfiltered 4 litre tanks which hold my breeder males. I decided the heaters were not very efficient relying only on convection so I've put a little bit of movement in there, just enough to let the heaters know when it's getting cold. I've done water changes. Setup a new spawning tank. It's a bit on the small side but never mind. Moved some of the tanks off the desk and onto the shelving where they're meant to be. This means I've got a little more room on the desk but it's too hot in there to use the computer anyway so I've been using my laptop everywhere but the fishroom. I just need to solve the problem of heating the brineshrimp hatchers and then I can stop heating the entire room.

Feeling quite buoyed at the moment. Now still need to tackle the junk boxes.

Yay! I found some shelves at Bunnings. They are uncannily similar to the Ikea ones. But cheaper. Same 50kg load capacity per shelf. I'll spend the rest of the weekend (and probably part of next week as well) putting a protective coating on it. Wish I didn't have to but you know, water spills etc, probably not a good idea to leave them completely raw.

Pine I think. They've these big bolts that attach the shelves to the posts. And they don't bow if you don't exceed the load. 50 kg is equivalent to two 18" tanks which is what I've been using as breeding tanks. They're very similar to the ones I already have. There's a photo in Post #39. Those ones were treated with Estapol Matt and Scandinavian Teak Oil. I'm going to use some wipe on polyutherane stuff on the new ones. I think they might come out a similar colour because it says on the can the "some ambering will occur with lighter timber". We'll see. This is the most tedious part of getting raw wooden furniture of any kind. It's also going to need about 3 days to dry properly. I definitely don't want them in the fishroom until the chemicals are completely dry. I've got enough problems in there at the moment.

dont you need to clean the mess before you start filling it with new mess lol?
Huh? What do you mean? I don't understand? Is that why my room is always messy? Nah, must be something else....

wow shelves are a good idea, im using an old computer desk atm, how much were they?

They were $53 for the basic starter kit which has 4 shelves. Holds 200kg. That's 8 x 18" tanks! OMG I hope the floor can take that load! I actually got 2 starter kits and added the corner shelves as well. It'll mean I won't have to bolt it to the wall. Wouldn't want 200kg of fish tank toppling on anybody.

Archived