Fishroom Makeover

Bettarazzi

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's Melbourne's Chinatown Aquarium. Don't know if Sydney has one, too.

Hmm. All I know is that Sydney has a Chinatown and it is far away.

Ah well.

I've been eyeing a 250L tank at the LFS, but it's a month's worth of my pay in price :lol:

I raised the rows of beanie boxes up a bit so I can see the back two rows. There's 36 boxes on this side. Haven't done the other side yet. Will eventually have about 70 beanie boxes all attached to a drip system. But it's nice being able to see all the fish at once. I can't stop staring at it. They're usually all carded but they're still pretty active. I took the cards away for the clip.

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

There are heating cords underneath the boxes. The timber for the back two rows has had a couple of grooves made with a power saw. For the front row I didn't want to make grooves directly on the shelf because it would have meant dismantling the entire thing. So I tacked some strips of masonite onto the shelf and the cord sits in a couple of gaps between the strips.

I'm using 50 watt cords and I've put two rows of it under each beanie box. It's on a timer in summer so that it goes off and on during the day. And I also turn them off completely if the weather sits in the high 20s for a couple of days. I wish they could be temperature controlled. Actually I think it is possible but prohibitively expensive. In winter I think the two rows of heating cord will be inadequate if that was the sole heating method. I'm planning on heating the room up to about 19 deg so the heating cord won't have to do all the work. And by then they should all be connected to a heated sump which will help as well.

TOP STUFF i wish my mum would let me turn my bedroom into somthing like that but i would have 100s of angelfish instead (I LOVE ANGELFISH)

its more interesting than tv when the crickets on you should stick a fold out sofa bed in there!

but one question im really wondering, how much did it end up costing???

I got those beanie boxes from Jodi. They're from the US I think.

If I wasn't planning on connecting it to a sump I think they're a bit on the small side. They only hold about 1.5 liters which means more water changes than I'd like. Even on a drip system I think a heavily finned halfmoon will need to be kept in something larger.

your right like usual bettarazzi :P there is something you can buy that makes heating cords temp controlled

heres a link to one if anyones interested

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...A:IT&ih=020

you plug the heating cord to it and plug it into a powerpoint and theres a probe that you put in one of the tanks that reads the temp and it controls the temp to what ever temp you want

Ooh... I haven't seen that particular type before. The one's I was thinking of were a very DIY. You had to connect the whole thing yourself. This one looks better but hmm... the price. It's tempting though. It would have US plug fittings, and might only be suitable for 110v not 240v. Not completely insurmountable. Good find, divy, you're the eBay King!

• 3 months later...

We want updates!!! I too have been drooling over your fishroom...not to mention the inhabitants. I am currently setting up my verandah as a fishroom, my house being too small unless I extend (now there's a thought) and I am not above copying some of your ideas. Great job :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

OMG it's been a whole year!!! My partner goes away for the weekend at this time of year every year and it's that weekend again. Sheesh!! Talk about working slowly. And no... it not entirely finished. Maybe it will never be. The current status is that all the boxes of books and junk that were on the shelves have been moved elsewhere. Some of it has been thrown out but not enough. Still gotta go through heaps of junk. I get sentimental over the most bizarre things. Anyway, the beanie boxes have now been installed in gutters which flow into a sump, filtered and pumped back up again.

This little video shows you what happens.

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

And he's a pic of what they look like.

Oh and if you could take a closer look at that spirit level it would show you that the entire thing is slightly tilted IN THE WRONG BLOODY DIRECTION!!

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaarrrrrgggh! The room is a soggy, mouldy mess! It's been cold down here and condensation forms on the external wall and on the windows and it's gone mouldy and metal fittings are rusting. I only noticed this 2 days ago but I think it's been going on for a while. I'm worried about all the books I've got in the room. So far they look ok but I don't think this is going to be good for them. Problem is I have nowhere else to put them. I had quite a few unlidded beanie boxes and the sump wasn't lidded. I've fixed this now but can't do anything about the open gutters. Brett suggested a dehumidifier but they're around $500 for ones that will do a small room like this one. I guess my other option is to get rid of the gutters have all water moving through enclosed pipes. That's going to be a pain in the proverbial and will also cost a fair bit by the time I buy all the components and bearing in mind that the gutters are wasted. NOT HAPPY!

Archived