Keeping Female Bettas

crdave

Females can be kept in a community tank either on their own or with other tropical fish. They will fight but not like the males and once they have their pecking order sorted out they get on just fine --- the odd tail slap will still go on and is quite OK. For 4 to 5 females then I would say no smaller than a 2ft tank, well planted (mix of live and fake is OK) and perhaps a few other hidey holes like some drift wood, hollow log and/or ceramic pot. As for what live plants then java moss, java fern and wisteria all do well for us but settle on what actually grows for you. Something that floats is always good as they tend to hang around the surface a bit and you will often see them "sunning themselves" by laying on top of leaves. A bristlenose catfish or any of the cories make good companions for female bettas and generally for any tropical tank. Cheers, Pat.

Pat has covered most of it :drool: About all I can add is that when you add a new girl to the mix, rearrange the tank decor a bit. Move a cave or add a cave or generally make the original fish a bit less comfortable. This forces them to all re-establish territories as opposed to the original fish beating the tripe out of the intruder :lol: Oh, and Quarantine! Very important :lol: Give all new arrivals 2 weeks in isolation before adding them to ensure there aren't any diseases. If one is sick, tey all tend to get it, so try to avoid anyone being introduced sick :)

When you say a 2ft tank how many litres would that hold. Also what sort of filter would you recommend and what size heater. Can anyone tell me where to get java moss in Adelaide. Cheers for all the help guys. Much appreciated :lol: Oh yeah, I have been using Betta Plus water conditioner so far. is this a good one?or is there another brand that comes in a bigger bottle that would as good? :)

I use pond water conditioner. Its dose rate is much smaller ie it is much more concentrated, but I do tend to go through buckets and buckets at storage tank top-up time so it's worth it. If you're only treating the odd tank and bowl it would last years.

I have my black plakat spawn ALL living together. But, that is only because they were raised together. The boys don't harm each other than an occasional slight spat. So when you read about spawns being raised and living together and wonder if it is possible...well...it is. But as mentioned by the other's here...no smaller then a 2ft tank with plants. :lol:

I have a full 3 foot undergravel filter that a large air pump operates the two bubble towers successfully, and one small canister style self contained pump and filter unit in behind the log. This has a spongefilter and it circulates a slow current of water along the back of the tank .. water quality is never an issue as it is crystal clear. O yes every fortnight 1/3 water change just to help out. I love plastic plants as you can see.. :)

I use pond water conditioner.  Its dose rate is much smaller ie it is much more concentrated, but I do tend to go through buckets and buckets at storage tank top-up time so it's worth it.  If you're only treating the odd tank and bowl it would last years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use the same. Mainly because it does last so much longer.

When I've set up my tank and the females arrive should I keep them seprate for awhile and release them into the tank one by one or can they all be aclimatised and then released all at the sametime. Also should the tank be allowed to cycle for awhile. I'm thinking of maybe getting catfish or cories. How many in a 2ft tank with 4 or 5 female bettas?

unless all the females are from the same spawn and have been sharing the same water you would be best to QT them for 2-3 weeks first before putting them into a community tank. That would also give you a chance to cycle the tank before putting them in.

may sound silly but could I put them in there own containers standing in the water of the main tank? That way using only one heater? would it work do you reckon. Not real keen on this, I like to give them plenty of room. Also any tips on what to do to tank water when cycling it. Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I get it right.

You could stick them in a cheap plastic 50L+ tub with the heater while the main tank cycles <_< Whack an airstone in there for water movement as your in the hills and its cold here already. I would QT them either seperately or altogether, if you bought them from same tank, can't see why you cant QT them together in a big enough tank as if one has something others are bound too if coming from the same water :lol:

Yep. Extra water movement will help stop aggression as they are busy swimming around. But you have to be careful they don't tire and fall ill from stress. Lots of plants and hidy places, clay pots from bigW etc

• 3 weeks later...

I did mixed 20 females in 3 foot tank. No problem. Most are siblings. They did flare to each and set hierachy within few minutes or so. Fight did occured when i mixed them with some unrelated female in. But that doesn't last for 2-3 minutes then hierachy will be settled. Giant on the other hand is different. I try to put 2 female in 2 foot tank and they didn't stop fighting at all. 4-5 scales coming off. Caudal and dorsal fin chopped off from the two. I separate them after 15 mins and try to put 10 females giant together. Result? 10 giants female flaring and try to snapat each other. Really confusing. Whoever bought female giant from me must aware of this same problem i guess. Any idea how to make them leave peacefully like normal female betta?

The tank they are going in has been cycling for three weeks now with 3 very happy corys in there for two weeks. I put a piece of driftwood with a plant growing on it and it coloured the water slightly.I've been running a 200lh hob filter and flexible airstone along the back wall. I was going put the female Bettas in this weekend as they've qt'd for three weeks now. Should I do a part water change before they go in. Cheers,Dave

The tank they are going in has been cycling for three weeks now with 3 very happy corys in there for two weeks. I put a piece of driftwood with a plant growing on it and it coloured the water slightly.I've been running a 200lh hob filter and flexible airstone along the back wall. I was going put the female Bettas in this weekend as they've qt'd for three weeks now. Should I do a part water change before they go in.

Cheers,Dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would probably do a 25% water change before adding the females and then in a weeks time give it another 25%. Just to be sure the cycling is well and truly under way. The corys would have given it a good kick start already though.

Pat.

Archived