Keeping Female Bettas

crdave

I find that the HM females are the most mean to eachother, all the others i have kept got on relatively fine but my hm ones always seem to attack eachother! Although they were nicer with plants and little territories etc

I put three female CT's in the tank an hour or two ago and so far not one fight. Just check each other out and swim away.Sometimes they don't even swim away ,just hang around. They were in one of those auquaone three barracks tanks while in qt where they could see each other so maybe that has helped.

I jar all the babies the the females go out into a girl tank once the egg spot shows- I have found the worst for being snippy are the PK's out of mine but still it only seems minor (fingers crossed) Cheers Deb

Same as Deb in that we jar all our fish. With the exception of very nice females the rest end up going into one of our community tanks. Some of these such as ones we keep for breeding will go into floating containers. They all end up having a bit of a flare at each other and will fight. Those from the same spawn tend to fight less with each other. Those straight from barracks/jars tend to want to fight the most but they soon get over it especially when the matriach of the tank comes over to sort them out. Lots of plants and hidey spots help as does having other fish varieties in the tank to divert their attention. As for one type being more aggressive than the other I can't say I have seen anything defintive. Some individual females are just downright nasty but I haven't isolated that down to any colour or type just individuals. (Putting on my battle helmet and ducking for cover I'll say "Bit like in real life" :lol: ) From my experience the red's might be a little more aggro than the rest (including CT's) followed by the CG's and Blues but not by much. Our Marble CT's don't seem to have much of a care factor for any sort of fighting. If anything I've noticed the lighter coloured ones such as Cambodians, Platinums and Opaques (the few we have had) are the least aggressive and the ones not picked on by the more aggressive one. Could be a colour thing and a less perceived threat? Cheers, Pat.

Mine are three blue ct's and they are getting along really well.They actually spend a lot of time in one corner of the tank together and swim around together quite often. Heres me worrying about putting them in there thinking they might tear each other apart. It's heaps funny at feed time when they all line up and look up at you. I hadn't named them but now they're the Charlies Angels. :)<_<:lol: :lol:

Nice names <_< pics? Just be very careful when you're thinking of adding more people, you dont want to stir them up now that they have established a life of harmony with eachother... And still keep an eye on them, incase they still decide to become enemies :lol:

Yeah Steffan, I thought that, and I reckon I will just keep these three in the tank. Seems a bit of a waste of space but I don't want to risk breaking the peace and the other female I was going to put in there has a very quiet nature whereas these three are a lot more active. I'll keep a close eye on them but so far they are all being good girls.

Archived