have you broken a tank full of fish?

splendidbetta

hi all. i was wondering about this because, i have already broken 4 of the glass lids of my 80 litre tank, the last time only recently. the first time i sat on both of the lids by accident when i took them of to do water changes and put them on the couch near the tank. only the betta god saved me from getting glass shoved through my behind :( the second time i had leaned the glass lid against the tank light while i was feeding a previouse batch of fry, but the lid slid down and broke. the third time i had put a small tub on top of the tank so i could siphone fresh water into the tank slowly.....but the tank lid cracked. i am yet to break an entire tank, and i dont know how i would save a large batch of small fry should it happen. what are your experiences with breaking tanks/parts of tanks?

My brother dropped the support of an IKEA bookcase through my 14gal... it happened in slow-mo! He removed the shelf, i said "no-grab-it!" and it just toppled over and it went "craaaack-gushhhhh" We both just stood there looking at it. thankfully it was only a cray and some mozzie fish, but yeah, it went everywhere! My cats keep breaking lids... I have a few in plexiglass for that reason.

Patrick once slipped once when he was trying to get an air hose into the pump, he ended up putting his hand through a fish tank. We then had to decide what was more important, finding flipping fish on the kitchen floor or getting to hospital. :P In the end we went straight to hospital, he ended up with 5 stiches. We only ended up losing 2 fish as most had some how made it down to the last inch of water left in the broken tank. :P Najina

Now thats a bad way to break a fish tank :P i think i would prob save the fish first................but how big was the injury? i have been able to endure pain for the sake of my animals...for instance, doing water changes or harvesting bbs with my broken left hand ages ago... was it a fry tank? and did the water get blood in it? breaking tank lids seems pretty common :P but i havent managed to drown a fluro tank light yet...it must be on the 'to do list' :P

Now thats a bad way to break a fish tank :P

i think i would prob save the fish first................but how big was the injury? i have been able to endure pain for the sake of my animals...for instance, doing water changes or harvesting bbs with my broken left hand ages ago...

was it a fry tank? and did the water get blood in it?

breaking tank lids seems pretty common :P  but i havent managed to drown a fluro tank light yet...it must be on the 'to do list' :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was well before Bettas entered our life's. The 30lt tank only had molly's and guppies in it.

At the time I was more concerned with the amount of broken glass everywhere and keeping my 3 kids out of the kitchen.

Poor Patrick was the last on my list of worries.

Najina

Many a glass lid hasn't made it out alive from my fish room. I really don't know how I manage to break them all... I once tripped over and fell against a 2foot tank, which shattered and all the water gushed out onto the carpet. Luckily I only had a couple of female bettas in that tank, and I was able to save them all. Glass + Sue = disaster. Sue

Have l had some fun with breaking tanks let me tell you. ;) My barracks have a false back made of acrylic and no one told me acrylic can expand in water and there are three seperate rows! Well one day whilst taking a shower l hear an almighty CRACK, well the next thing l am running around in the nuddie trying to stop 420litres from ending up on the lounge room floor, catching fish and putting them in containers (40) rolling up rugs,siphoning water into buckets,grabbing towels to sop up water so it won't leak through to the apartment below all whilst still in the nud,managed to get all under control including myself eventually. The second time it happened was in the middle of the night with a similar scenario to the above including the nuddie bit as l don't wear pj's :cheer: The third time it happened l was away and l got a phone call from my fishsitter to say there was 120 litres over the fishroom floor, fortunately it was not part of the main barracks but a seperate tank, there was an inch of water in each compartment so the fish survived, and l returned home that night to clean up, dressed this time which was pretty novel. Finaly after working out what was causing the problem l replaced all the acrylic backs and touch wood the problem is solved. :D

I’ve broken a tank or two over 20+ years of fish keeping. I've also had a friends that was visiting, dog crash into a grow out pool in the back yard and split it. 100’s of fish onto the grass. Luckily I had mowed the lawn the day before. Lots of fish saved but lots of fish died as well.

I also have broken a few tanks in my time but the most recent and the worst happend a few months ago.

I bought a second hand 1400mm x 620mm x 620mm tank and built it into a wall in my rumpus room and had a storage cupboard for all my projectors, movie editing equipment , movies, slides, records and board games underneath.

Posted Image

Looked great till one afternoon found that the silicon the tank had been built with was not good quality and the seam between the base and the back had let go.

530 litres of water all over my storage chipboard cupboard and contents and the carpet in the rumpus.

Only one survivor, a pleco which was kicking around in the wet gravel.

All the other fish were dry when I found them. The worst part was they were for the most part fully grown show quality Malawi cichlids.

Took ages to dry out the carpet.

The cupboard was destroyed.

Saved most of the board games, movies, slides etc.

Unfortunatly lost some of the electrical editing equipment jus too much water.

Wall has since been rebuilt as just a wall.

FOR SALE

1 tank hardly used 1400mm x 620mm x 620mm (10mm sides 12 mm base)

needs repair. will sell for glass only $50 ono. pick up only

Graeme ;)

2ft tank with a chip on the side. hit it and it cracked instantly. Luckily enough it held! i was able to quikly get some towels to soak up some water, and transer 90% of the water and all the fish into a 18" tank. and sine then i've never cleaned a tank at 1am when everyones asleep :)

Archived