Woohoo! I Have Baby Cray!

Callatya

You need to post some pics of mama :)

How gorgeous are they! You need to tell us all about it - a cray spawn log, lol. These things took FOREVER to hatch! I was starting to think mama cray was having a hysterical pregnancy! HOOO to baby crays!!!

I don't have any good ones of the mum, but I did manage one showing her with the eggs.

koonaceggs.jpg

The black balls under her tail are all the little eggs. She sat therefor ages fanning her little swimmerettes and waving the eggs through the water. I noticed the eggs about 3 or 4 weeks ago now, and the quantity she was holding has definitely dropped from that shown in the picture, but still :) there was quite a few.

She appears to have started picking through her tail and cleaning it up (eating the leftovers and old shells).

They are Koonacs (Cherax plebejus/C. preissi) from WA. They only show up in the eastern states on occasion, and retail for about the same as a similar sized blue marron.

I am IN LOVE. I mean, the colour is impressive, but the temperament is just lovely. Having had pair upon pair of C. destructors damage, maim or kill each other, these guys are just adoable. The snuggle under pot plants, groom, touch and forage together. I've never seen anything like it.

I do love my bettas, but I adore my crustaceans. I'm hoping to get a few more interesting species over the next few years and see how I go with breeding and keeping those :)

The babies are all doing well so far. I have them split into as many separate tanks and breeder boxes as I have available to lessen the changes of something wiping them out ;)

the blue marrons are what got me in to aquariams

i got two romeo and juliett when i was ten and they bred worse than rabbits

i ended up with so many i couldnt give them away fast enough

i hope it all goes well for you :) and that you dont have any deverstaing loses

Oh I love marron! Them is tasty eatin! I'd love to get a breeding pair if for no other reason than to have fresh marron when they have babies ;) I know it seems cruel..but I'd only eat them babies..mum and dad would be immune! It's about the only shell fish I cld eat :) recently found out I'm allergic to seafood so freshwater types I'm not and that's all I can have..although funny enough I can eat about 1/2 a kg of prawns before I have an adverse reaction.

• 2 weeks later...

They are going pretty well. I am slowly discovering which tanks are better for raising, so many are being shifted around.

They seem to be up to moult #2 and are eating frozen BBS for now, along with some plant matter. Not expecting good growth til winter as apparently they are winter growers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have lost all but 2 :) That heat wave wiped the majority of them out, and drove the parents' metabolism up so they devoured all of their young remaining in the tank within a day or two :( The two remaining were in a bowl on top of my 4' tank, so possibly a cooler part of the house. They are hanging out in a new bowl now, feeding on rotifers (I need a trp to the LFS for more BBS) and crawling all over the little java fern. I've put in a UGF so that should help with water quality and cooling if we have another blast of hot days.

I'm quite sad about this, but the pair have made it through and they should do well over winter as I believe this species has its growth period through the colder months. Fingers crossed I get more babies next spring :rofl: I'll be much more prepared if I do!

Archived