Aquaone betta barraks

fuzzy_dragonfly

I went to my LFS today and saw a pretty neat barracks for bettas. Holds 8 fish and has pressure control for each drip tube so you can adjust the rate at whcih the water in cycled in the setup. Only challenge I see in it is keeping the glass clean but a very good buy for those that are clueless about building barraks. It will burn a hole in your pocket at $200 a unit!

For those interested Campbelltown Pet centre can order the units in, they offered me one today. Had I not spent $600 on an operaton for one of my cats renectly I might have splurged for a unit so I can get my hands wet in breeding bettas again.

Sorry no pictures :D .

I don't think it's meant for public sale. It's supposed to be a display tank for LFS, healthier fish = increased likelihood of sale. Give me a week or so, when I visit next I'll ask if I can get a pic of the setup, I can only describe it's features as best as possible.

They also have an awesome aviary room setup in their (other pets) section, it's an aquarium that caters for all tastes in fauna, bit like Auburn Pet Centre (for those that have visited). No puppies or kittens for sale though, only rabbits, rodents, birds, fish and ferrets. HUGE store.

Each section of the barracks is about 1L (give or take). 4 sections on each row, yes all the complicated work has been taken out of the task, all fiddly bits attached.

• 2 months later...

hey tig where they for sale or just a display?

i really want one

The place i got that pic from had them for sale for $260 or something rediculous like that. I wouldnt buy any hardware from that place anyway, its always so over priced. i imagin if you asked really nice at your LFS they may be able to get one in for you.

cons

-There is not a great deal of room in the sump for a uv steriliser.

-The high rate of evaporation can cause the pump to run dry and the heater to be exposed.

-There is a outlet hole in the back of each tank and if you push the individual tanks too far back it can cause them to fill to the top. This can also reduce the sump level even more.

-You need to cushion the pump so that the whole tank does not vibrate.

-When putting a light on top the light gets a blue tint from the contact stuck on the glass. (It is removable)

-There are no lids

- cheaply made (The white plastic grates the tanks sit on have many lose shards. You can see that someone has just sawn a plastic grid to fit rather than custom made. It will need a good cleaning)

pros

-great show piece

-can set flow rate

-heated

-filtered

You can also find them for sale at Lams in Parramatta ($260ish) plus light/heater. Many other stores have them but only as display.

Speaking to one of the guys at lams he suggested than aquaone were trialling this crude model to see if there was interest. Hinting that maybe a refined model may come out later.

• 2 months later...

Snapped some detail photos in case they were useful.

barracks01.jpg

The tap system for water return

barracks02.jpg

The sump is really more of a saucer or a very shallow trough, but I suppose it doesn't need to be much. Still, it can't really fit much more than a small pump in there. Maybe you could do some DIY to crowbar in a UV unit.

barracks03.jpg

How is yours doing Deb?

We had the same set up at the LFS I worked at and I found them to be handy coz you can just grab the container out, tip the water and the fish into the bag and off they go. I can see how they'd be a pain for an in home set up though and a couple of times I knocked the containers back a little and the things filled to the top and the poor fish were just floating at the top trying desperately not to flow over the top.

But in saying all that if I had a spare $260 to spend I'd buy one without a doubt

Maybe a stupid questions but don't the male betas get sick from displaying all the time? At my LFS they have cardboard between wach small tank so they guys don't know the other ones are there. I was always told if you have more then one make sure they can't see each other so just wondering about this type of set up.

it's always a controversial topic to card or not to card.

Personally I couldn't be bothered doing it and I've never had a fish get sick from over flaring... at worst I've only had the situation where they get used to each other, so they don't bother flaring at each other anymore... of course this is easilly fixed by moving them around to see a new face.

If they actually get sick then it's probably more a case of them carrying an infection or something and being stressed by unchanged water or something similar, quick temperature changes etc...

IMO flaring is HEALTHY for Bettas, it's what they are famous for... it helps keep all the muscles to hold all that fabulous finnage nice and strong and allows them to display the natural behavious that make them great pets in the 1st place.

but anyway this is duscussing the aqua one betta barracks... which i love the display look but I wouldn't be having one... bettas sharing water is BAD.... personal experience... one gets sick.. they ALL get sick (maybe with the exception of one or 2 if you're lucky) *Glares at her "Death Barracks" which is on it's last warning before being tossed out on it's ass*

This is the one I was talking about a while ago.

My LFS has one and said they can order it for $200. Regardless of it's shortfallings it's the best ready made betta barraks on the market, I think it's much better that they are kept in these as opposed to small coffee jars. If electricity wasn't so expenisve I'd buy one and get straight back into betta breeding now that I have several grow out/ spawning tanks in storage. A few small modifications should improve the design.

My LFS does a good job keeping theirs crystal clear and bettas healthy, they also keep their small animals and birds at a very high standard, ferrets are vaccinated, including 7 day money back if the animal becomes ill or is not what you bargained for! Bought a chick from them today!

As for disease control prevention is better than cure I've always found.

I got 2 of these for my breeders it takes me 1/2 and hour to compleatly strip it down and clean and set up again withc i do every 2nd day much better then the 2hrs it took me to clean individual tanks mine are carded wit plastic folder dividers cut in to 4 i added extra filter media and after 2 months have not had a problem i had 1 fish get a finrot but i got him out straight away and did a full water change no other fish got it for me these are great.

• 4 weeks later...

This unit is great, though I wonder if it could be made to order to give the fish 2 x the space? I am not a retailer and I have a big thing about giving my fish comfortable accomodation. If I could get this unit made so that it's only 3 units across instead of 6, that would be sweet. Who would I ask about getting one made to measure?

Regarding carding - and this is easier for me because I have larger holding tanks - I have been using card to cover 75% of the space, with a 25% gap at the front. That way they can relax out of each others' view much of the time, but when they do see each other they are at the front where I can watch them flare.

Fin :(

Archived