Aquaone betta barraks

fuzzy_dragonfly

I saw one of these units for the first time this week. What a huge improvement on the usual LFS set-ups.

The price seems reasonable cf. the usual ridiculously small/overpriced individual betta jars, tanks and bowls that lfs's sell. They look like they'd be great units for growing on jarred fry, and excellent for temporary housing (as at the lfs), but a bit small for long-term housing for adult bettas, I think. But shared water is always the dilemma with barracks.

Vicki PS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just seen them at the pet shop across from the Vic market.

They are selling for $240

Get ready for this then......

Just came back from my Port maquarie holiday and as luck would have it a shop was selling off their display units and I scored two for $240 and one with a spare heater (not that I needed it I have heaps in storage) .

They sold the units because of rapid algae growth as they had them near a window + they weren't cleaning it often enough. I was able to talk them down from the original price of $150 each because the drip tube valves are rusted (but it shouldn't take much to replace and refurbish them) .

They are a 100% improvement from 1L milk bottles which are a pain in the bum to keep clean.

Was a challenge fitting them into my corolla with goose and ferret cage out back but as many of you know us fish keepers are a resourseful lot when it comes to a bargain.

Now I can go drool over those fish in AB again :)

Tanks included, they're beanie box style. Not a bad little unit all in all.

I've only ever seen them in blue, tends to be the standard plain background colour, but you can peel it off if you don't like it.

Mine are second hand divy, going to take a bit of elbow greese to get it up and running. Not to mention find some space to put them.

It gives me a simple framework anyway, I believe all is in working order otherwise. I'm going to trial a "rescue" pet store betta in there first to see how things work, any improvements, alterations can be made along the way.

• 2 months later...

I just brought one in Port Macquarie yesteday $225 i was happy with the price,the lady gave me twelve plastic taps to change the brass ones as she said she had problems with the brass ones now all i have to do is fill up the holding tanks with fish.

I don't think it would be economical to buy the Aqua One barracks and then modify them so they only hold six fish. You would be better off custom building something from scratch. Then you can have it exactly how you want it. Divy had a thread about his custom built barracks. I think it held 4 fish and with plants in there it looked stunning. If you search Divy's profile you should find it.

You can order these from your nearest AquaOne retailer (or I'm guessing your nearest LFS).

Product code is 53349bk and RRP is quoted by AquaOne as being $470 but they are available for considerably less - around the $250 mark. They come in blue and black but when I bought mine a couple of weeks ago, there was only the black in stock.

This unit holds 12 fish and comes with a filter but no lighting. ATM I'm just using some stick on LED lights until I get something a little more substantial.

Not sure whether I'll be using this as a permanent home for any of mine though, as the cubes are quite small and they're all used to bigger quarters.

Archived