Chladophora aegagropila (Moss Balls)

I saw java balls in my lfs and thought they were cute, then I came across these little things:

Chladophora Aegagropila and I think they're even better~~!

Not sure if they're available in Australia, anyone seen them before?? I did a quick e-bay search and they are selling it too (free shipping!): Chladophora Aegagropila on E-bay

I'd love to get some and watch bettas pushes it around with his snoot a bit!!

What do you think??

T_T aww... the thought of all the $$$$$ with no outcome is a big put off...

Is there someone who can import plants or something like that?? I just really want fuzzy fuffy Green Balls in my tanks >"<

Plants are alot more difficult to import than fish. Fish are easy. Plants have around 3months in quarrantine and the algae balls probably arent even on the allowed list.

Might be better makin a few java moss balls?

I saw something like that in Stafford Aquarama. They had put them on wires so they looked like mini topiary trees. The guy said that they require proper plant lighting though, have high light requirements. I don't know if it's the same species or not, but they were fuzzy round balls of plant. Looked cool, I just don't want a giant blistering hot light just to keep them.

*Beano maintains that she is in no way affiliated with Stafford Aquarama, despite mentioning the shop in her posts often*

Robbies Betta, somehow, I don't think your idea will turn out very well, anyhow, I'll try that anyway in a small bowl of water and see how it'd go.

I think I'm only left with java moss balls as an option... But will go back to Aquarama soon to check it out (it's a long drive from Herston, let alone from Sunnybank!)

Only recently I started taking an interest in plants... didn't think I'd bump into something impossible already *sigh*

you can wrap java moss or (what's that green amano moss stuff that needs tons of light....?) around the plastic wet/dry filter balls, as a compromise. I might even try that one day with that hair algae..

I think Rob was joking about growing fungus in your tank!

Beano, you're funny!

That's exactly what I did!! I went to get one of those filter balls and put some java moss on it, only a bit and secure it with fishing lines. Not sure if it'll grow pretty, I guess I'll just have to stick with that for the meanwhile... still want to have a feel of those moss balls in my hands, just to see what it's really like... cuoristy (sp) can kill I cat they say...

lol, yeah Lilli :D

Celeste, I think I knw which ones ur taling about. I "think" I've seen em on Ebay to. They look wicked and would be good to be able to buy. And agree, I'd luv to knw what they feel like, cause they recommend squeezing them like a sponge to clean :)

It looks like with the Java moss ones you would need to trim them regularly. There one some at one of the aquariums we went to today and they had sorta grown off the ball and were just strands floating in the water attached to the ball. Not very nice. But the ones under bright light and thick were really nice :D

You can wrap the java moss around a bio ball and then tie the netting that garlic comes in (not the thick white mesh) the looser other stuff? The moss will grow around it and form a nice obscure shape :D

• 4 weeks later...

I have seem them before but not in australia.. they were sold in cans and for decoration in jars , and I bought 2 can into australia.. but I throwed them away like a year ago... they can grow to the size of a football or something. but it will take like ages and they grown few cm a year. so what if this site send them in a can? will they still pass through custom?

Archived