3ft Suggestions

Ok, so I've got this 3ft (cheers Jess :lol: ) sitting around after been vacated by my growing boys and I've just bought a canister filter for it that should do the job (remind me 2moz to find out the L/ph thing) and was wondering, if I keep bout 7 ot so fgemale bettas in ther, plus an angel fish, what else could I keep? should I get anohter angel or 2? I really want Khuli's to, as the ones Jess has have made me fall in love with them. I'd also like Congo Tetras, and maybe some smaller tetras (penguin, neon etc) as well as other similiar locality fish. any ideas? cheers

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: still! The cannister is fine whatever it is, you can always add more filteration :( Kulhis & Cories or maybe BN's instead of cories! Angels will be okies, maybe grab 5-6 and then only keep a pair when they form that way you can keep them in there without getting too crowded in the next few years. I have java moss to palm off to you too, remind me. It coming out my ears :D

If you are going for bettas, be careful of the nippier tetras (serpaes, black widows, etc) and if you are going for angels, make sure you get big tetras, as angels LURVE 'tetra snax' :) I'd go with the 8 females, a bunch of black neons and glowlites and a school of cories and kuhlies :)

cool, I had bout 5 Black Widows in my 2ft tank with female bettas and they were ok.

I'm deff gonna have some Khuli's (how many) and a BN to (bit over the cories :( )

The Angel fish is coming from a mate who just wants colourful fish (guppies etc) instead of the ones she has now, so I'm getting one Angel and a Bumblebee loach

Vicki, I think Pristella tetras were on my to get list when I first got this tank

Jess I'd greatly appreciate the Java moss, for some reason I can keep all other types of plants in my tanks, yet when it comes to java moss it just goes a yucky green, then just "slimes" away. the only bit I've got is what you gave me last time, and that's only bout half :lol: I guess Mon would be a good day to be talked into buying countless fish :( but don't worry, I'm not gonna let you and Mouse go empty handed either :)

How about some livebearers? :( Or how about something small and schooling - harlequin rasboras? White clouds? Corydoras and bristlenoses are my favourite bottom feeders. :(( If you want any BNs, I've got plenty here, mate. Not many big enough to go, but still plenty! :(

Cheers for the offer Leema, might take ya up on it :((:( not a big fan of livebearers, I think I might go for some of the bigger tetras tho. I deff want some Congo Tetras (5?) a school of bout 6 penguin tetras, and have a pair of angels, plus bout 8 female bettas and a Bumblebee Catfish and deff khuli's (4?) and a BN off Leema if I can ;) I've decided to go for a dark substrate to with lots of plants, and a few caves and maybe a new castle or ship wreck :(

How many do you want, Robbie? :blush: I have 3 here that are big enough to be moved (big enough to not be eaten :)), and then about 20 that are smaller. But depending when you set up, then there should have grown some. Congo tetras are awesome. Good choice. :betta: Not worried about the girl bettas having a tear at them, though? Bumblebee catfish/loach, the same as bumblebee gobies? I've heard that they're pretty hard to keep out of a brackish environment. And aren't you a bit worried about the angels eating them? Just some considerations. :blush:

so bumblebee catfish prefer brackish :D ? the chic who's got them, her mum has kept them in a tropical frsh water enviro for awhile now might take 2 or so BN off ya hands leema :) would luv to see sum Baby BN :) And Mousie, don't take everything Jess says to heart, she's BOUND to be wrong bout something :):wub: :thumbs:

I thought you meant Bumblebee Gobies!! << who prefer brackish. Doh. catfish.. FW they are <_< BTW that was me who posted as Mouse, sheesh! she kept logging herself into ausaqua in her name :lol:

I had 7 congo tetras in my 3 foot and they look awesome. The males colour up with shimmering blue and green and they constantly show off and chase each other - and take little nips out of each others tails - which grow back all the time. I would have kept them if I hadn't wanted discus instead <_< If you're getting khulis, get three or four or five even, the more of them there are, the less shy they are. Just make sure they are bigger than your filter intake or cover it with a stocking. Otherwise they'll end up in your canister. My canister does 100L/h and it does an awesome job. Where are the photos? :lol:

Watch the bristlenose (especially if male) with female Bettas, they can kill them when they get big and territorial, I have had it happen and have since found out it wasn't unusual behaviour for male B/N's. cheers Deb

cheers for that Deb hopefully because I'll have several other small fish to, the BN will learn the leave them alone, especially since he'll be smaller than EVERYTHING else in the tank ;) forgot to mention, I went out yesterday and bought 20Kg (or so) of 6mm Black Pebbles (was going for black Granite, but they were sold out), after washing the pebbles, I put them in the tank which is now setup on our decking so get's plenty of morning light, and then proceeded to fill the tank with water. As you can prob tell, I ran into a lil trouble, bout 3/4 full I noticed that the tank had started leaking. It has a big crack on the bottom of the tank but it is very well siliconed in, then I saw that the side seal had started to come undone, and that was where the water was leaking out. So I had to quickly start emptying the tank with a bucket (the water had already had conditioners put in :D ) Luckily I had an empty 2ft that needed to be set-up, so I filled that with most of the water, and then distributed the rest throughout the other tanks. Finally got round to cutting off the offending piece of silicone today after work, so now I just gotta let it dry properly (plus I can't find the aqua Silicone ;) ) and by 2moz I should have it re-siliconed. Then on the weekend I can start planting it up :D To get the best results from plants without a CO2 thingy, would U recommend me putting potting mix made for ponds in small clumps where the plants are going to be and then covering with the pebbles? Hey I think this was my longest post ever, tho a lot of it is just pure dribble :lol: :D

I have a 3' tank, it's the tank I keep all my females in. The main attration is a 15cm rainbow shark and two opaline/blue/three spot gouramis. I've got several female bettas a BN, platy's, guppys and a sterabai cory. I had noen tetras and khulis till the disease a while back wiped them out, that's when I switched to livebeares. I only have female guppys now and I'm not really interested in getting any males anymore, they reproduce to quickly but are otherwise still nice fish. With the plants, I don't have a CO2 thingy either. Just add a light and fish and see what survives. You can get plant fertiliser tablets too. I'm not a great gardener although I've had a real struggle with plant overgrowth in the tank lately so I mustn't be all that terrible. Generally I stick to the hardy, common plants. Anyway, hope that gives you an idea.

Bugger!

How big is the crack?

Here is some links for fixing cracks:

http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfish/d...id=3806&search=

Is there foam and a wooden slate to support it evenly on the bottom of it? As if it isn't it will put pressue o nthe areas of support only, instead of evenly distrbuting the weight.

Tanks scare me, thats why I need a new 4ft! It is 10 years old and time for a wider one equivelant to a 6ft but size of a 4ft!

Archived