3ft Suggestions

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:D Not sure if I want to let it go <_< you see tis true that it's *old* and it needs to go before it *cracks* in the house.. more importantly the water will be devasting: A) in his precious lounge room B ) near his beloved TV C) near his PS2 Hence the upgrade -_-, I am sure there is a special spot for it outside (under the carpet near the roller door) which technically is not *Too many tanks* as he is very particular with his words regarding *in the house*.. See :D this is where I will use this against him for my own advantage (and of course for the fishes) :D It is old though, but nothing else would warrant an upgrade :D I am desperate and I am addicted!!

Finally took photos this morn. so far the filtration is set up, substrate is washed and in and it has been filled. Hopefully 2 moz I can go out and buy sum plants and driftwood for it :lol: I set it up on our outside decking, as it gets plenty of morning light (and I had NO room inside, so now the deck has 2 2ft's and now a 3ft on it :drool: )

Posted Image

Posted Image

the caister filter gave me the **** something cronic. It took me and my dad bout half an hour just to try and figuire out how to start the bloody thing. The main prob was that it came with NO instructions as to how to set it up, so most of it was guess work :thumbs: But it's all good now, and can't wait to stock it up :lol:

I wouldn't really have a clue as to how to cycle it with fish. Was thinking of having sum goldies from our pond in there to get it started. But just don't want the risk of disease in the 3ft, So might have to go out and buy sum cycling fish. what kinds of tetra do you recommend? I don't really like danios or barbs, so don't want them (unless they're Mossy Barbs :thumbs: D: )

6 would be plenty! The tanks looks great, they get a view of the pond from that position :( Cannister are easy, prime them with water, open the valves and turn it on! If its not working grab the hose (that's flowing in the tank) and pull it out and lower it to the ground.... all the water will come gushing out. Hook back up and sweeeeeeeet :goodo:

Alright. today I went out and bought sum Large amazon swords and a small purply swordy plant to put in, as well as a nice big ship :)

I also bought 4 Golden Black Widows, and was supposed to get 2 normal ones, but the lady only put 1 in, and I only realised when I got home, tho I only got charged the one, phew :D

well here's sum pics. not that good as it's already starting to get dark, and I just took the pics :D

The first is of the Black widows (not to great, but it shows them)

Posted Image

This one is of the initial setup. I have to get sum more plants. Think some giant Vallis for the back, and then sum more swords or ferns, but deff gonna get an anubi attatched to driftwood :)

Posted Image

How long do I need to cycle the tank with just the 5 black widows in there? Oh, and I found out that this tank holds bout 137L, or 30G :D

cycling normally takes around 3-4 weeks .. give or take. The best way to know when it is cycled is to keep an eye on your tank params. When your ammonia levels are 0, your nitrite levels are 0 and you are reading nitrate levels around the 10ppm your tank will be fully cycled and you can start slowly adding fish :)

How bout sticking a heap of gravel in a mesh/stocking bag and stick in your pond to seed it? That will help. If for some reason you can't get seeded media, I don't let the tank cycle it's normal way with live fish in it. I break it first (don't let the ammonia rise to high like it is supposed too) this drags it out and makes it cycle over a 2-3 month period. This stops the fish suffering from ammonia spikes. Keep the ammonia and nitrites at a safe level always and when you get nitrates rising high, then do your first water change :) Or buy a bottle of Cycle - at the very least it will convert the ammonia into non toxic form. My 2 cents worth :) p.s I pull gravel and filter media and water out of other tanks to start up a new tank, cuts down the time and the spiking...

I normally do fishless cycle for that reason, but if I do have to stick a fish straight in for whatever reason I use the Hagen Cycle too. It can play around a bit with your tank readings, but it does detoxify the ammonia while leaving it in the tank so you can still cycle and save your fish any undue stress at the same time. Its definitely good stuff. The other alternative is to do very small water changes to prevent the huge ammonia spike that you get during a cycle which will drag out the cycle like Jess says, but it will save your fish.

another quick update. Yesterday a mate of mine dropped off her mums two Angels and Bumblebee catfish. Now I was just expecting ur norm silver Angels, these guys are KOI angels WOOP ;) ;) and the Catfish is huge, prob close to 15cm long, but the cutest thing :D

here are sum pics of the angels (Bernard and Fran, if they're a pair :D )

Posted Image

Bernard's the one with more black on him (I think :) )

Posted Image

and my Bumblebee Catfish Manny :D

Posted Image

I also lost the poor runty Black Widow ;) What food would the catfish and angels prefer? I fed the angels Blood Worms today, but they didn't seem to like them, and last night I put 2 slices of cucumber in there for the catfish to eat

Archived