Betta Pellets.

somchai2500

Hi all,

Would like to know what "Brand" of Betta pellets you have found successful and what are not so good.

Some of my Betta will not eat pellets, they just sink and that's that. Even if I starve them, they still will not eat them.

They do the hello human dance, then not this 'stuph' ( nicely put) again.

ta

Roy

Atison's Betta Pro and the normal version go down well - both floating pellets which suit the surface feeding nature of most Bettas..... I've used HBH pellets (larger than Atisons) and also Hikari make good pellets - all floating..... rarely do Betta pellets sink.....

Most of my Bettas - splendens and wild types - will eat anything - just keep feeding them what you want them to eat and they'll get the message - especially if they see other fish eating the same stuff it gives them a big hint that its safe and edible....

i just feed mine the brand they sell at supermarkets... but i also supplement a lot of live and frozen food :P

i also taught my fish to associate a bamboo skewer with food, so they'll nibble at anything on the end of that (the skewer itself included >_>)

Edited by MT Syndrome

Atisons and Spectrum both work for me. If they've been spoilt on live and frozen food however it can be hard to wean them. When I have fish like that I put them next to a fish which does know how to eat pellets and they can learn that way. Also if you make sure that their water conditions are pristine so that the only stress in their lives is hunger and they will hopefully start taking pellets before they starve. Drop the pellets right in front of their faces. They have a natural tendency to investigate anything that falls on the surface.

HIKARI

Nipon Jin know how to make a product and the reserch that has gone in to there products is unbelivable but I only use the fry first bites to shufle the mix for the fry all adults are on live food its cheeper

Cheers

Les

I was recommended by the guy at the LFS (and I did buy on that recommendation) the 'Aquarian Advanced Nutrition' bottom feeder sinking shrimp pellets for the corys which they don't eat except for the betta. It stinks up the tank too.

Also asked what they feed their bristlenose, they said 'Aqua-Pic's Prestige Veggie Bites Spirulina' 2mm sinking pellets, it says it's hormone free premium blend.

Also the TetraMin tropical flakes which the bettas, corys and all the other fish are eating.

No one's mentioned any of these here, are they decent quality foods?

Nicola: I stand corrected :lol:

SFF: Probably they aren't mentioned here because we're talking about the regular pellets.. (which usually is not designed to sink like sinking pellets and not flakes).. But I've used TetraMin on couple of occasions. My Bettas don't really eat them though. They do.. sometimes

The brand name of the products aren't mentioned either though.

My bettas love the TetraMin flakes.

I have seen betta-specific pellet things at the store and even at BigW. Should I get betta-specific food for them? I remember reading somewhere when I started setting up my first tank that pellets weren't always recommended because they expand in the betta's stomachs, or something like that.