And Ending And A Few New Begins (i Hope)

Peta

Well sadly christmas night I went to feed my fishies and found that my little rosie girl who had only been swimming around earlier, was now lying at the bottom of her tank- she'd passed away in the last few hours and I still have no idea why. (no marks/no illnesses - just water change which is possible the cause but frankie was the other side of the tank and is still fine as of this morning)

with this new death in the family I decided 'sod it' and I went to work setting up Eric and Shark-bait to spawn - I had been half heartedly doing this through the week (condinting them) ... while I was doing this I had happened to place Luna close to Kissengers tank... I soon noticed that Kissenger was pretty excited and had already set off making a huge bubbleness ... and Luna was showing signs of interest (although not stripping up) .... So I thought - what the heck I'll have a 'play' and see what happens.....

Yesterday around 10:30 I let both girls out of their funnels and have since been watching them get their tails a bit shreaded and hide for them boys. I checked on them often while my family where all over for our christmas get together, and no real super signs of stress so I left them all to it.

Went to bed hoping that I wouldn't miss anything while I was catching up on some much needed sleep. And I didn't. Came out to check on them all when I woke up and they where all still ignoring each other. that was until I noticed Luna chasing and flaring at Kissenger .... I was watching for a little bit to make sure she wasn't being a cow... and sure enough I saw my very first WRAP!!! - okay so they still haven't got it right yet - the funniest ones is when Kissenger goes to wrap Luna and missies - you see him all bent over and sinking to the bottom with Luna at the top of the bubble nest going "you idoit" ....

For a while I was watching them and nothing was going on in Eric and SB's tank... an hour after sitting on the steps watching and waiting ... I figured I better go do some house work. Came back about 20mins later and was quite pleased to see .... Eric and SB starting to pick up the pace.

As I sit in the laundry typing this. Luna and Kissenger are still trying to get it right, haven't seem them wrap successfully or very often at the moment... But the same can not be said for the late starters - they haven't stopped!! They seem to be doing a great job from where I am siting. It's funny to watch them wrap and sink to the bottom - at first Eric would smack SB as soon as they where apart but it seems he's being a bit nicer (he's a brute) Haven't seen any eggs ... but I'm just willing to wait and see with that side of things.

So very soon I could be over run with fry!!!

I was so sad to lose Rosie as while I didn't really plan to breed with her, she was one of my first girls and I'll miss having her around the fish room.

(if you read through all that - well done :) - sorry I like to talk and the boyfriend didn't take to kindly to me jumping on the bed to tell him that my fishies had wrapped - so I figured I'd come and tell you all instead about the full extent of their adventures)

...ohh Im pretty sure I just saw Shark bait put some eggs in the nest (Eric it seems might only be interested in the wrapping stage haha!!)

CONGRATS PETA!!! it is so exciting isn't it! So funny about how your BF reacted, I'm lucky my ex loves breeding as much as I do so when I have a spawn he's as thrilled as me. Even comes dashing over to watch it happen! I do remember something similar though when we were still together, I was pregnant with our son, and my best friend band's song came on Channel V for the first time! I ran into him and jumped up and down on the bed screaming and dragging him out to come watch! It was 2am and I was about 8 months pregnant lol.. I can imagine it was an interesting sight

well Kissenger and Luna worked it out and there was LOTS of Eggs falling down ...

So I now have two bubble nests with eggs in them, two proud daddies minding their 'brood' and two exhausted little ladies chilling in the corner of their tanks :P

Of course I have photos and video's of the blessed events haha - but my computer is packed away at the moment due to family over for christmas so I will wait until i set that back up to bore you all with my fishy 'love' photos haha.

now the other exciting parts... dealing with raising them!!!

oh no I am really lucky he does get interested and is super supportive of my addiction :P .. he'd just had two very full on early days so was looking forward to sleeping in.. and didn't quite expected to be jumped on so early in the morning - I apparently scared the crap out of him haha

When he finally did wake up he came out to check in on them and see what was going on - he even joined me in yelling at them not to eat the eggs :P

I'm also lucky my mum is super supportive too, she was watching them with me yesterday and when she came over this afternoon I showed her the video's and the photos - she even went to check out the eggs in the bubble nests.

... i guess I just like to talk A LOT haha - be in in person or in text - I'm a chatterbox ;)

^_^ Glad you put in a more detailed post! It sounds like you'll be quite busy from here on in. So nice your family shared it with you, even if the boy was slightly sleepy! Have fun, can't wait to see some macro pics of the tails!

WE HAVE TAILS! In both spawns hehe Eric and Kissinger are very busy returning their falling fry to the nest. so i have been really lucky thus far two spawns at the exact same time - two well behaved daddies & to spawns at tail stage in under 48hrs! was not expecting tails until at least tonight ^_^ *dances*

:giggle: :lol::((:(( :((

Looks like Shark-bait's gotten a case of columnaris

She had a big white cottony patch on her side (I guess grown from a bite she got from eric) .. I did put her after taking after the spawning into a bennie cube and filled it with water conditioner (IAL extract in this ) Salt and a little bit of metafix .... she was fine this morning... but today it was a HOT day, and I think thats what did it.

Got home and found her with the patch on her side - she's been moved to a betta cube with again water conditioner with the IAL extract in it, more salt, and I even threw in a few drops on white spot meds just as a 'hope' measure... one other thing I have done is soak a cotton tip in a water-salt mix and cleaned off the injury. She's not moving or that much and doesn't look all that good...

:(( - hopeing that she pulls through the night, I'm keeping an eye on her as I don't want her to suffer if I see she's going down hill like Guss did, I may help her along as I don't know if I can stand to see her in pain :((

if she does pass away I will be so working my butt off to make sure her's and Eric's spawn make it through (they have quite a lot!)

sorry to hear that Peta.

Try a search of the forum for columnaris treatments if it ever happens again. It is a very aggressive disease and unfortunately IAL and salt and a bit of white spot treatment won't do much to arrest it. You have to hit it fast and hard with the right meds. Not great to know when you have limited meds on hand, I realise!

That's horrible Peta, she was lovely, just like my Sebastion. Just in case you need it (fingers crossed you don't) I dropped into the new aquarium on Ipswich/Brisbane road (think it's Booval but not sure, it's in the back of the block of shops next to Sizzlers) and noticed they have both triple sulfa and tetracycline in stock.

ohh thanks for that Julia - I live literally two blocks away from there - the boys already been given orders (well requested hehe) to go up there this afternoon to see if they have what I need (I just sms'd him what he needs to ask for haha) So good to know they will have it when he gets there :((

did they have Betta's up there?? have to go check them out when I get some free time on a weekend!

Thanks everyone. It's a hard lesson learnt and was very hard to make the choice to either leave her go naturally or just put her out of her pain... it was starting up her other side when I got up this morning and Knew I couldn't leave her like that and go to work ... and was clear that the small things I had done wheren't going to stop it.

Fingers crossed now that Fry take off really well and I get some girls just like their mummy!

Archived