Help...

Siamese Junkies

It's a bit hard to tell either way from the photo. Any chance you could get a clearer one? It's not that uncommon for a female to make a bubblenest, usually the nest and the bubbles are smaller than those made by a male. Does s/he get vertical bars when placed in view of a male?

try using the micro button (the tulip) it focus' on smaller objects at closer range. you can't tell either way from either of those photos guys :) i've seen both males and females who look like that, and as both can blow bubblenests you need to look for verticle bars, the eggs (females look like they've swallowed a marble when full of eggs) and the ovipositor (white dot inbetween and slightly behind the ventral fins). males may have protruding anus' that look like ovipositors, so look for all three things! and if s/he's blowing a bubble nest at least you know they're happy :) good luck! edit: have you tried showing him/her a mirror?? what's the reaction you get to that from him/her??

Length of the ventral fins is a good guide, too. If the ventrals are half the body length or more, it's a boy (well, probably -- I've been known to be VERY wrong)! I always tend to think male if there's a white tip on the ventrals, too -- that's just an observation of mine, though. White-tipped ventrals is typical of the wild b. splendens male colouration, and in my experience it's more likely to be present in a male than a female. Any more experienced members have view on the white-tipped ventrals, or am I just imagining things?

Congratulations! It can be difficult :) We bought a PK 'girl' from a LFS (was in a tank with about 10 females). We kept 'her' in a community tank for 3 months with another female and some other fish. Last week put 'her' by herself and he blew a huge bubblenest and has started flaring :) like crazy. :) Good luck with your breeding

From the first photo, I would have said male as the body looks slim and the fins look longer. The 2nd now looks like a female showing some male traits (longer ventrals, fuller fins) so i'm a bit up in the air. Females can build bubble nests, but if he/she is doing that as well as being sexually ambigious, i'd be very careful and try to breed at a time when you could watch. Does he/she have a beard?

cal, do you mean does she extend her gill when flaring (referring to beard comment)?? because ALL my females do that, even the ones i've spawned :P i've noticed especially when raising juvies, that when looking at them from above the females have a more teardrop shape, where as the males are more streamlined :P edit: just read lilli's link....makes me feel like an idiot for repeating her almost word for word :fish:;;

I always tend to think male if there's a white tip on the ventrals, too -- that's just an observation of mine, though. White-tipped ventrals is typical of the wild b. splendens male colouration, and in my experience it's more likely to be present in a male than a female.

both of my girls (how sad.. I can count them on one hand with fingers to spare) have white tips on the ventrals. They both carry the bf gene though so maybe thats a factor. :dontknow:

Archived