Loud Sounds And Bettas

najrick

Through our website we can at times get a number of people writing to us for Betta related advice. This can be from the simple "what do I feed Sparky" or "what temp should my water be" to the more extreme questions. And I have to say that the one I got yesterday definitely comes under the more unusual questions. So I thought that I would get some second opinions here before I answered the email.

Hello

can you offer any advice re keeping bettas in a night club

we will follow all normal betta care processes but are concerned that the subsonic bass sounds will influence the fish

do you have any information about this.

Well guys what do you think? I'm of the personal opinion that fish can be affected by any continuous loud sounds let alone Subsonic bass, but I guess you have to ask to how much is too much and what could they do to help reduce the risks.

Najina

I've had fish stress from a noisy air pump so I would imagine it could result in some very stressed fish. I definitely wouldn't recommend that they try it with any of the known stress chewers like HM's, maybe the humble bomb-proof vt might be worth a shot if they can find a non-vibrating area, but I'd personally I wouldn't.

I pipe JJJ into the fish room and its goes down well for me and my fish. I,ll be the first to turn it down if if i get a "Course language warning" Don't want to affect the babies impressionable minds do I ? LOL Radio yes. BOOF BOOF- DOOFF DOOFF is way different so NO.

I can't stand music like rapping or that heavy metal stuff. Often it is just plain noise or mumble jumble trying to pass itself off as a song, or a voice trying to be heard over a noise unbearably loud. I've head 'of' Nirvana, but if I have listened to it I wouldn't know. Same with Soundgarden or Alice in Chains discs. I am just not interested in stuff like that. People think I'm weird because I don't listen or pay attention to the music they do :blush:

Oh I'm not dissagreeing, you're right, it is great music by very talented artists, I wouldn't know if I'm listening to Nirvana etc because I usually dont pay attention to song titles :P but most music these days just doesn't appeal to me very much. I just switch the radio back to 105.9 as soon as something I don't like starts playing. And sometimes even some classical music starts playing that I don't like very much (especially Jazz), so I either switch the radio back to normal stations or put a good Mozart CD on :) But I can't go to sleep without classical music. If it is not playing I can't sleep because my mind just mills back and forth over my thoughts and I can sometimes get panicky because it doesnt stop, so by listening to classical music I can release my mind to catch the pure waves of sound eminating from the speakers :):thumbs: But why do some people want to kill themselves if they hear orchestral music ?? :unsure:

• 5 months later...

Well, I live with a guitarist who likes to play pretty loud. :dontknow: Though I've only had bettas for a week now ( :sad: ), I can comment in regard to my other fish... Most new fish will freak out when the music starts up for the first time but, overtime, they desensitise to it. Fish that have been here for a long time, like my harlequin rasboras and black widow tetras, don't even dart when the music gets switched on. However, they get the loud music treatment, at most, twice a week. I wouldn't know how things would be if the music was more constant (freak out without music?). However, I agree with Calla... Even if the music is not an issue, I'd be more concerned about heating, lighting and general maintanence of the fish in that environment... :blush:

Well has it ever ocurred to you all that you have different tastes in music - maybe the same applies to fishPosted Image

The fish at our work seem to like jazz. My fish don't seem to mind the music, - infact when the music gets turned on they go over to the glass inquisitively as if to see where it is coming from - it's a variety of altervative, goth, industrial, techno, chill, dub, and even rap! Altho it is not as loud as what goes on inside a niteclub! The other thing to consider about fish being in niteclubs is the completely at the mercy of a reliable guardian - they would be open to all sorts of possible harmful scenarios. So Fish and niteclubs - I say no!

PS Lilli I'm impressed with your openness to alternative music, you're spot on! And Splendidbetta not all Rap is so bad, listen to Roots Manuva and Public Enermy - there are some lyrics there that are profound enough! And this is coming from a 45yo!! Not preaching just imforming!

i would think that it would depend on where they're situated. a lot of nightclubs i know have seperate cocktail areas/lounges that are seperated from the dance floors with the loud music usually with sound proof glass or something similar, and they're lit really well. so somewhere like that in a nightclub may be an idea, wouldn't suggest the dance areas/bars though, who know what'd happen to fish subjected to drunk adolescents/young adults and strobe lights >.<

• 5 weeks later...

iam very new to this game and even i would have to say this- are you crazy? people would tap them, throw their drink in there1 Ive worked out side of thoes place and what people dpo when they are drunk to gardens are unbelieveable-let alone a fish the air would be stale! here a solution mayby- build a glass area where the tank can be seen but in other room mayby- look if it was me no way i like the fish to have what they wnat and even i dont want to sit in loud music some times- this is the thing - you can not ask them so dont do some thing they may or may not kill them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived