Shadoh's Tank Upgrade

shadoh

Thanks all :D

I found a recipe for a sand based CO2 generating substrate on another forum. It is nice and cheap and seems to be returning good results. Don't think I am supposed to post links to other forums on here, so if you want more info, send me a PM and I'll send you the link.

Matt, I have an electronic copy of that book, so won't need to borrow it. Thanks for offering :D As for the whip tails, I am still a couple of weeks away from stocking, but wanted corys. I'll check out someone's video, it might change my mind.

As for plants, I already have a heap of Java fern I will be incorporating into the scape. As for anything else, I am clueless (first planted tank), so any advice is welcome. I know I want corkscrew val, a red tiger lotus for sure. Looking for a easy foreground plant or 2 as well. Don't want too many species, as I don't want it to look too busy, if you know what I mean...

Yan should have some good planting idea's her planted Angel tank looks AWESOME :)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to look those plants up later Matt, but love the idea of moss rocks... Already have some nice shaped rocks in the tank begging to be covered :)

*lol* I liked the substrate due to it's lack of mud... I can build sandcastles for my bettas to live in :)

I think there've been links to AQL here before, I didnt realize there was a rule against it?

Regardless, I'm a huge fan of that substrate mix. All my current tanks use it with slight variations. Can't say for sure it generates c02 but the plants do seem to like it.

For foreground plants you could try Tenellus (Mini Chain Sword). Or something I'm thoroughly in love with lately - Pogo Helferi!

I love pogo as well but I find it really hard to grow, grows really well for a few eeks then melts. When I get CO2 and EI dosing I will try it again.

I've posted links from AL as well. I had better read the rules again...

This is what the rules say:

Posting links on AAQ to other forums is permitted, however, we ask that you please conduct discussions here, rather than linking to another forum where discussion is being conducted, where possible.

I don't think this breaches that rule, its just so people know the method right? If it does though I'm sorry :/

DIY Substrate

Some cool suggestions guys. I'll be checking them all out later. All good concerning link. I belong to so many forums, it is hard to keep a track of which rules apply where. *lol*

Got all ingredients for substrate, but will probably have to go back and get more. As I was walking in, some guy was walking out with 6 x 20 lt bags of coarse sand. I discovered once in there, he had taken the lot. I ended up getting 7 x 5 lt bags of propagating sand. Had no probs finding the marble chips (and, yes, I gave them the vinegar test when I got home) found a small bag of blood and bone as well. All up, it cost just over $45. Not bad...

Was just thinking... Could I adapt this recipe to pot up water lilies for a pond?

It would probably work a treat for any kind of aquatic plant potting. Just exchange the sand cap for a heavier gravel to save on mess when moving pots around etc.

If you havent bought your sand yet, take a look at some local landscaping/builders yards. Big 80 litre bin full cost me less than five dollars, and is much prettier than the Bunnings selection.

Wow... Good price. Unfortunately, I have already bought the sand from bunnings. I'll remember for next time though:)

Got an order of waterlily seeds coming, so this will be a perfect mix for them. I even have plenty of pebbles here to use!

Could someone please tell me if once this tank is up and running...do you add ANY co2 or fertilizers?

...what about filtration, canister filter ok?

...wouldn't nutrients in B&B run out?

I am a bit simple about these things. :-)

No, it generates its own carbon in, I assume, the form of carbonate. The optional layer of peat would decompose to provide CO2 and some from the BB as well I think. No addtional fertilisers would be needed with moderate lighting.

Canister would be fine and food from feeding will build up to replace nutriens lost from the substrate. As far as I can tell it is a lessy messy vesrion of a walstad tank.

The sand should be deep enough to prevent that, if you are worried you could put some flyscreen between the BB and sand :)

I'm thinking of doing it when I get my aggies so they can did, the sand can't be do deep with soil. Are you getting Caucatoides?

My expeiriance has been no, they do seem to like to sift through the substrate but they don't dig big craters or anything like most other cichlids.

PS Jarrod, the smaller bags are better than the big ones, so much finer. The big bad is full of big gravel and is a pain in the butt to plant in.

I step out for a day and Busman takes over :P If you could do the same with my other threads mate, I could almost have an AAQ holiday *lol*

All valid questions that I would have ended up asking at one point or another, so not really hijacking.

You need a list to break everything down, Jarrod! I apparently had started reading this thread at some point so started about half way through and was completely lost by the end of it.. LOL Oops. :blush:

Plants you want/will aim for?

What about the fish?

Do you have a biotope or 'theme' you will be sticking to?

I like to draw out the floor plan of my tank on a sketch pad, draw in my hard scape then I'll go through my list of plants I want and see what will work where from there on.. Of course with my own tank I've ended up adding about a billion more plants than what was initially on my list. :blink: Also some of the plants I wanted and bought just aren't working out for reasons unknown.

OK... Kinda spaced out, found it all too hard and went on a random plant buying spree. I'm sure I can find a way to make it look good once here....

The lineup is...

Eleocharis Belem

Hemianthus micranthemoides

Ludwigia Glandulosa

Rotala wallichii

Crypt wendtii "Tall"

Nymphaea lotus "Red Tiger Lotus"

Vallisneria sp.

Hygrophila angustifolia

Aponogeton ulvaceus

Bacopa caroliniana

Have plenty of Java fern from current "scape"

I just need to get some mosses for the driftwood :D

You must have got a lot if the belem for this scape! I love it but can't afford it :( love that apon as well, my fave is Madagascar lace plant :drool:

I'll let you know what I have when I get home, mostly peacock and subwassertang. Have some pelia as well.