Shadoh's Tank Upgrade

shadoh

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished the first weeks worth of maintenance - scraping algae off tank glass, trimming off dead/dying leaves/stems. Thought you might like some up close and personal shots of what's been going on...

The Red Tiger Lotus pretty much melted after I planted except for 1 stem. In the last couple of days, it has been throwing out 1 new leaf a day, so VERY happy with that...

15b3321e.jpg

The Aponogeton Ulvaceus is another one that melted over the week since planting. The bright side is that for every leaf it has lost, it has thrown out a new one. Every leaf you see here is new and has grown in the space of a week.

c21f4383.jpg

It has even thrown out a flower spike (actually, it had 2 - I accidently cut it off while cutting off dead growth) It is out of the tank and has grown this much in 3 days...

434758cd.jpg

The HM is very happy and will get a trim once it has rooted down...

88207def.jpg

Only noticed today - the red tips of the Rotala Wallichii close up at night and re-open in the morning - regardless of whether the lights are still on at night or not...

4984dc5c.jpg

The Eleocharis Belem is starting to throw out some runners! I can't wait until I have a lush carpet :)

f4958193.jpg

My Black Dragon HMPK girls have taken up strategic positions around the new scape... This one has claimed a hollow part of the driftwood...

eecbe714.jpg

Whereas this one is playing Tiger in the grass...

9e67441b.jpg

Once I photograph the orange marble girls tomorrow, they too will be moved into this tank...

Hey I just got a three x two floro light from the salvage yard for twenty five dollers so went to the FS and got two tubes and bingo, they said some comany went out of buisnes. my brothers just putting a plug on it for me as the dog chewd it of, Little staffy

Cheers

les

PS Like the new pics the Black dragon girl is great

My gosh I absolutly love that apon (it's one of my favourites) I almost got one for $20 a few months ago, absolutly kicking myself! If you ever propagate yours I would love to buy one.

Your tank is going great, plants are healthy and looks really good.

I was looking at Liverpol creek, they have it for $150, thanks for that! I'm very excited now :D

That means you have anaerobic bacteria, I use deep rooted plants to combat this, they help a lot. I poke the substrate with a skewer during set up so the hydrogen sulphide bublles out then do a waterchange as it is extremly toxic. I've only had it one though when I didn't use enough swords.

How long did it take your wallichi to go green Jarrod? Mine has been in the tank a few days and is still red while the rotundiflora is going green, I'm hoping mine will stay red. Also, I've noticed with mine the tips close and open depending on my lights, not the sun, same with all my rotalas, interesting yours is different.

Thanks again for the heads up on the ulvauceus, I'm getting one off Dave now :D

Since it seems severe you should try peroxide, let the plants get a hold before it begins to grow again. http://www.aquariumslife.com/featured/algae-control-with-peroxide/ I've used 0.5 ml per gallon of 6% to kill string algae with no problems.

@ busman weekend tomorrow so try and clear it up then. 1 other employee part time. She lives in the Redlands. Boss is a doctor, so practice staff there too Worth trip down the coast. Fancy restaurant and Xmas bonus. Mind u gold coast bus drivers have a deathwish

@ Matt. Thanks I'll try it as a last resort. I take it fish will need to be removed...

Worse than city ones?? I have caught a bus into town with my wife and kids before, got on a friends bus and hung on for dear life. Christ he scared me *%#less. Nicest guy in the depot, laid back and relaxed but behind the wheel he was nuts.

Maybe you are just more aware now, with your driving test and recent knowledge of dos and donts. :-)

Mate, I've got cramps in my thighs from digging my feet into the floor to stop flying out of my seat like a number of the other passengers did. I think he took great delight in trying to make the schoolies standing in the aisles fly as far towards the front as possible.

Just spent removing hair algae off every plant, driftwood, exposed sand. I am so annoyed with the tank right now...

I've just tested the water parameters. Nitrate & Nitrite still 0. PH has risen to 8. Should I be worried?

Would the marble chips in the substrate be the culprit here?

I would assume the rise in PH is due to the marble in the substrate.

What Diana suguests in her book is the addition of fast growing plants during the start up phase, perhaps the addition of some water sprite would be helpful while the tank stabilises?