Shadoh's Tank Upgrade

shadoh

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shadoh's Tiki Oasis - The perfect tropical chill out zone. Sit back, relax and watch the plants gently pearl away while listening to the sounds of the islands and drinking a soothing rum based drink... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPHp8lyoyAI

Just got a couple of Opaque ladeez to add (fishing them out of outdoor pond tomorrow :)

Here's another video... I'm so proud of my efforts I can't stop showing it off. Also can't believe I resisted substrate and REAL plants for so long *lol*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E93BTPDpWPo

'scuse my finger covering the lens for the 1st half *lol*

I'll make the base layer of sand thicker to elabate my substrate, I'll also mix in some chelated micro nutrients with some coconut fibre to ensure I don't run out of that. I will also probably add some work castings or mineralized top soil for bonding sites for nutrients to prevent excess nutrients leaching out.

Oh and I will also add KSO4 to ensure I don't run out of K, that's a problem even in tanks with soil, it isn't present in large amounts in fish food and is a macro nutrient so it gets rapidly depleted from the substrate.

Edited by Matt_95

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Jarrod,

Any updates? I ended up using aquasoil rather than this mix. Any algae? What are you dosing and how much? Any signs of defiancy?

PS I went and looked up what blood and bone has, it has 14% N and 10% P but virtually no K so I was wrong.

Hey Matt,

Growth rates are great. Everything is pearling away. I have recently had another big outbreak of hairgrass, so have been manually removing it and spot dosing with 6% H2O2. Not dosing the tank, as the whole idea of this substrate was that it didn't need ferts. No signs of defiancy. Using 2 bottles of DIY CO2...

You mean hair algae? That indicates something is still out of wack, your tank should have settled by now although I am not familiar with how long this substrate takes to settle down. I'm tired and can't remember what causes Hair algae, do you recharge your CO2 at the same time or evenly spaced to keep it as even as possible? Have you tried halving the amount of light? I did that and mine stopped growing and is now dying off. I am now using 2 tubes 6700k and two actinic blue bulbs and noticed no change in plant growth but a halt in algae growth.

LOL... Yeah, I meant algae... If only the hair grass would take off. Getting lots of new shoots, but needs to get thicker to be a proper carpet.

I started both bottles of CO2 at the same time. Learnt my lesson and now alternate the changes to one per week. I am thinking the amount of light may be my problem. I think I will put the 2 Actinic blue tubes back in and stagger the lighting with timers. It is the only thing I can think of.

It takes a while to get established doesn't it?

What I do is use a four hour siesta to allow the CO2 levels to recover and stops the ph getting to high. You turn the lights on for four hours in the morning then 4 hours off (Diana says in tropical environments this could stimulate rains that happen nearly everyday in some areas) then 4 hours on again. Plants can't use much if any of the light from actinic blue bulbs, it's for the benefit of our eyes only, the nm range of actinic blues is not used by plants. I believe they emit light at around 460nm from memory.

• 1 year later...

So - Everything in this tank is now dead. After so much hard work and effort, it became neglected over the past few months due to more pressing demands on my time. It is beyond repair, so in the coming weeks, I will be stripping everything out and starting from scratch again.

Watch this space...

J

PS: By everything being dead, I am referring to plants. Fish are still going strong and have been moved into other tanks :D