Shadoh's Tank Upgrade

shadoh

My tax cheque is due very soon and I have finally decided to stop talking about upgrading my 4 ft tank and actually do it!

First up, I need some help with stocking suggestions. Primarily, it will be a betta sorority, but I would like a few other types of fish. I was thinking between 5-7 corys, a school of glass catfish and a school of rasboras (or something else) Any other suggestions/advise? The numbers of female bettas will fluctuate as I sell/breed, but I will be keeping an eye on numbers and will keep any extras in another tank.

As for the tank, I am moving from bare bottomed to substrate and getting rid of my castles and going for a nice piece of driftwood and planting it up and perhaps stack a few terracotta pots up as caves for fish to hide in. I have been thinking about going along the lines of a natural planted tank (low maintenance is ideal for what I want), but once again, not 100% sure as I find it a little limited in the types of plants. Plant-wise, I know it will all depend on my lighting. I am planning on updating my old T8's to T5's. I was thinking about buying this one: http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/florescent-light-fittings-and-accessories/t5-florescent-light-fittings-supreme-aqua/4ft-double-t5-54w-high-output-aquarium-light/prod_14.html What should I be able to grow with that. I love the broad leaf and corkscrew vals, so they are a must. I'd love a colourful looking feature plant as well. I've got plenty of java fern, so will be using that too. If I don't go the natural planted route, I want to do something low maintenance. Happy to go as far as DIY CO2 and minimal dosing.

Filtration will be my Fluval 204 external canister filter. Thinking about a DIY spraybar that will go the length of the tank. If I go NPT, it will be used on the lowest setting for water movement and I'll have a sponge over the intake for extra biological filtration.

Anything I've forgotten? Thoughts? Worries?

Edited by shadoh

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't find having a natural planted tank limiting at all, I've been able to grow almost every plant I have tried, the only ones that haven't worked are UG, HC, Limnophila sp. Vietnam and mermaid weed. I can grow glosso, Japanese hair grass, blyxa pretty much anything ;)

I would go for the 6 tube one but that’s just me, I have the 8 tube. Keep in mind with a NPT you can have DIY CO2 if you want.

What about bundles of bamboo instead of terracotta? Looks more natural IMO.

Broad leaf chainsword are dead easy plants to grow, I almost had the chainsword take over lol so I gave heaps away.

In a NPT you want the plants to filter more than bacteria, sponges on the intakes are usually to prevent fry or shrimp being sucked up.

I love rummynose tetras, they look great in a planted tank schooling around. A pair of dwarf cichlids would also be nice, they got along well with my bettas

I don't find having a natural planted tank limiting at all, I've been able to grow almost every plant I have tried, the only ones that haven't worked are UG, HC, Limnophila sp. Vietnam and mermaid weed. I can grow glosso, Japanese hair grass, blyxa pretty much anything ;)

I would go for the 6 tube one but that’s just me, I have the 8 tube. Keep in mind with a NPT you can have DIY CO2 if you want.

What about bundles of bamboo instead of terracotta? Looks more natural IMO.

Broad leaf chainsword are dead easy plants to grow, I almost had the chainsword take over lol so I gave heaps away.

In a NPT you want the plants to filter more than bacteria, sponges on the intakes are usually to prevent fry or shrimp being sucked up.

I love rummynose tetras, they look great in a planted tank schooling around. A pair of dwarf cichlids would also be nice, they got along well with my bettas

Lol. Can't add much as you know all about my tank and the errors I made. Jelous of the T5s. You will have a better choice than me.

Don't forget about that option to share freight costs. I need time to choose as well. :-)

Mate, I haven't forgotten and will definitely be doing it. I'll let you know once the $$$ is burning a hole in my pocket and we'll put our order in :)

Aquascape people, if I decided not to go with a natural planted tank, what sort of substrate should I be looking at?

Maybe I need another trip to Fishchicks to pick Wolfgang's brain.... ( *lol* yeah, I know... Any excuse for a visit to someone's shop *lol* )

Okies, I grabbed the 3 foot one actually, lights up the last 15cm's very well :) I think thats why I went the 8, and it was on special.

You could go for aquasoil, although it is much more expensive and does decompose afetr a while, a soil capped substrate will work what ever you do. Eco complete (you will need to does with this), wom castings under sand. There are many.

Wolfgang is a great guy, he has the most beatiful scapes I have ever seen :drool:

That's cool Matt. I'll keep an eye out for specials. I forgot to trawl through ebay as well. Who knows what I'll find...

Trying to decide whether to paint the back of the tank (black or blue) or to get a plain coloured background. My previous background was forever falling off (even tried the oil trick) Maybe I should just leave it clear.

Decisions, decisions...

I've heard aquasoil is good and I'd be willing to pay the extra if I didn't have to fork out every few years to replace it...

Perhaps soil substrate capped with gravel is the way to go... What soil do you use Matt?

Was leaning towards black for the depth it would create...

I use soil from my garden now, but my garden is organic and has no chemicals or pesticides used in it. I've previosly used a 50/50 mix of naked farmers soil activator and sifted cheap soil from bunnings. Any brand is fine as long as it doesn't have manure, wetting agents or chemical fertilisers.

OK - decided on the light. I have chosen this one...

Now to head to aquagreen and research some plants :D

So excited!

Anyone know where I can get some replacement glass for one of the lid pieces of my tank?

Edited by shadoh

Cool :) I've been missing the piece since I bought the tank. My flatmates at the time, thought they'd surprise me and bring the tank home while I was at work instead of it being delivered on my day off. One of the lid pieces broke while they were transporting it.

I am toying around with the idea of ditching my hood and hanging the light.

Picked up a beautiful piece if driftwood from someone today. I'm going to try to turn it into a tree using mosses and ferns. I'm getting my ingredients for the DIY substrate tomorrow and ordering/picking up all the plants next week. This finally seems "real" after 12 months of talk and no action :)

IMG_3716.jpg

I think all this prep deserves at least a 6ft tank Jarrod :P

That driftwood is brilliant and I can imagine the mosses and ferns all over it - see if you can track down some bolbitis heudelotii as well - really great looking aquatic fern.... much much nicer than the java ferns (in my opinion at least).

Thanks all :D

I found a recipe for a sand based CO2 generating substrate on another forum. It is nice and cheap and seems to be returning good results. Don't think I am supposed to post links to other forums on here, so if you want more info, send me a PM and I'll send you the link.

Matt, I have an electronic copy of that book, so won't need to borrow it. Thanks for offering :D As for the whip tails, I am still a couple of weeks away from stocking, but wanted corys. I'll check out someone's video, it might change my mind.

As for plants, I already have a heap of Java fern I will be incorporating into the scape. As for anything else, I am clueless (first planted tank), so any advice is welcome. I know I want corkscrew val, a red tiger lotus for sure. Looking for a easy foreground plant or 2 as well. Don't want too many species, as I don't want it to look too busy, if you know what I mean...