Shadoh's Tank Upgrade

shadoh

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PH back to 7.4. Hair algae growing as fast as I can rip it out. Going to try the H2O2 - I'm ready to try anything... I'm spending more time playing with the tank than I did when it was bare bottomed. Just got to focus on the end result when everything stabilizes and it virtually looks after itself :)

Hey Jarrod I have been looking over this thread and on a second glance at the substrate you said you got a bag of Bloob and Bone, Now this is only for a horticultural point of view , Was it Blood and Bone or was it Blood and Bone Pluse If it was pluse then that is where you could be finding the problem as it hase the addition of Phosphate wich will give you the algle blooms. This is only IMO from what I have read so far. The bigest problem is there realy isnt any difference in the look of the bags and it is quite easy to get mixed up to the point that recently at Bunnings they did have them mixed up on the shelf becouse the young guy that had put them away didnt recognise the differance. Just thought it might be an explanation as to why this is happening

Cheers

Les

Les, you are right - I've got the plus. I was told it would work fine with the substrate and that the extras would be benificial, but now you mention it, it would be the Phosphate causing the problems. Grrrr!!!! Now what can I do???? I've set up another tank the same way and Paul has done the same on 2 tanks using plus as well :(

Hey jarrod

Tthe only thing I can think of is Flushing as that is what I would do if it where with terestrial plants phosphates are water soluble so if you pass enough water through the tank it will reduce it but not knowing QTY I dont know how much is nesersary. the remainder of fert from B&B should be allright though so the tank will still work after.

I am sorry I havent chimmed in earlyer but I have beem mulling it over for the last two days, what with B Mans probs but when Matt said he nadnt had any probs that was the only conclusion I could make so abstract analisis came up with that.

Cheers

Les

Hey Jarrod

up it to 50% after the removel of Alge and when your not removing alge stop the water change, sorry thats all I can com up with as it dosnt take much for it to start the blooms. I hope this helps as I do want to try this myself and so I am hoping after this it all works out.

Cheers

Les

Phosphates don't cause algae... Lack of CO2 does, your right though, you do want to keep it down in a non CO2 injected tank. The higher levels of P cause the plants to demand more CO2 which of cause is limited in your tank. When you drop the phosphates the demand for CO2 also drops which will make the problem go away. This leads some people to make the incorrect assumption that P causes algae, this was what PMDD was based on, that limmiting P will keep algae away, it's now an outdated method which has been replaced by EI, non limmiting nutrients so there are never any shortages. Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to say that... In your case though you do want to limit P.

Since it's a new tank you should be doing frequent water changes. It takes a while for the substrate to stop releasing nutrients abd an equalibrium to take place with in the tank. Sorry, I assumed you were doing water changes, Diana suggests that in the last chapter of her book. Once again sorry, I thought you were doing water changes right now....

Another thing I do is soak the soil prior to use so that I've leached out as much stuff as possible.

Hey Jarrod

Thids isnt a thread hijack I promis and I am not trying to contradict Matt but we have special low Phos Ferts that are used in and around the Peel and Harvey inlets also The Swan River Trust encorages the use of non Phos Fert aound the catchment as this reducess algle bloms So I would sugest it depends on which scientis you are talking to a bit like Globel Warming.

Cheers

Les

Lol, look up Tom Barr, he explains it like a million times better than me, explaining is not my strong point.

I would assume the natural water bodies are CO2 limitedas well. Low CO2 is the root of most algae issues. I'll try find a link that explains it better than me (I failed)

This looks good: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/3347-Does-too-much-phosphate-cause-algae was hoping for anarticle but I am tired. Didn't read it so I hope it's a good one.

Another thing to keep in mind are that planted aquariums are vastly different to natural bodies of water.

Detergent was also a massive cause for algae, it used to be full of phosphates.

Oh and perhaps this would be best as a seperate topic? This is a very interesting subject (to me at least) and would like to discuss it but don't want to hijack Jarrods thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Algae problems finally under control. Melting Val fixed itself. Crypts starting to take off. All in all, I am VERY happy with this tank :)

I spent the day trimming back the wild forest and cleaning down the few algae spots and marks on the glass. Vacuumed up the dead plant matter from the floor of the tank (sorry Matt, I know I am supposed to let it and the mulm decompose to feed the plants, but I don't think it will make a lot of difference if I do it once a month.) Added some fresh water and it is now looking the way I wanted it to for the photo comp, but couldn't find the time.

7886dda2.jpg

The flower on my Aponogeton ulvaceus finally opened just in time for christmas. Nobody found it as exciting as me. Oh well...

b494a90b.jpg

The flower stalk before I cut it off. It was well over a metre long!

3b119762.jpg

Some random tank shots...

95850c98.jpg

4604efc0.jpg

Plenty more if anyone is interested...

Thanks Les. For the headaches early on, the pay-off is worth it :)

The only things I would change are - NOT using blood and bone plus and using the "original". Not making the substrate as thick (took my measurements late at night - in the morning it was obvious it was 2cm thicker than it should have been.) Adding more floating plants from the start until plants establish themselves and probably add DIY CO2 from the start. It isn't enough to sustain a tank this size, but it helped to combat the algae problem and a nice added boost to the plants...

Looks great Jarrod, vacuuming even once a month could lead to problems further down teh track, it is the only soorce of some nutrients down the track when they are no longer available in the substrate, From memory blood and bone is comprised mainly of Ca and P, clay will have mainly iron bonded to it, it forms a bond stronger than the other micronutrients so they would proabably be in very short supply. It will be interesting to see how it goes anyway :)If you run into problems I'm sure it could be remidied with additions of chelated micronutrients.

Only advice from me would be to trim the HM and Ludwigia (glandulosa?)down very low to promote branching and bushier growth.

How come you didn't try to propagate the apon?

Thanks Matt, I know you'll always come in with some great advise :D

I will give the ludwigia a chop as it is the only plant without sideshoots. I actually trimmed the HM back by a third *lol* I'll hang off from trimming that for now, as I want to use some trimmings for the wild tank next week when it is re-siliconed and ready to rescape.

As for the apon, how do I propagate it? Please don't tell me by seed....

If you google "dutch aquascape" you will see that they have very dense bunches of plants, they do this with rigerous trimming to promote side shoots.

You dust a water colour brush over the flower to fertilise it and the seeds form with a soft spongey coat, they float off and germinate then sink to the bottom and begin growth.

Make sure you get all of the pieces of HM out, it will regrow its self from tiny leaf fragments, I find it a weed now, that and the fact it has decided to try to become a carpeting plant and is begining to take over my foreground with runners.

Matt I was just reading that my Apon (white flowered) needs to cross pollenate with another plant and that only the violet flowered ones self pollenate.... It should throw out another flower stalk in a few weeks time , so I'll try and see if it will self pollenate anyway. Worth an experiment, don't you think so?

I've read conflicting information on pollinating this one, from what I have read though if the flower is self fertile it needs some help from us to be pollinated. Mine is throwing a stalk now but its leaves are deformed, in terrestrial plants I would assume something has damaged the growing tip, hopefully it will correct itself.