Marine Betta

fishbites

Called into my LFS today and the owner showed me his new display tank - 5' x 18" x 30" (150cm x 45cm x 75cm)

Had 3 great stacks of live rock and a few corals - still in the process of setting up the corals and getting in the fish he wants to display but he pointed out one fish already in there (hiding in a cave)....

A Marine Betta!!!!! I'd never heard of it but ... get a look at this picture.....

and here is a screed on the fish and its habits.... not a bubble nester but a cave spawner and has some interesting hunting habits too.....

Just thought I'd post incase anyone has a marine tank itch and wants to keep something like a Betta in it!!!!

Wow, thanks for that Wayne, I've never heard of it! :blink:

Thought you were going to say the LFS kept a Betta in the marine tank. :devil: This is me, happy to be wrong. :D

They look stunning, but I don't particularly see the resemblance, maybe a little bit though.

Well their body shape is similar (imagination called for) and they have nice long ventral fins.... bit of a spade tail ..... solid dorsal and anal fins.... and apparently they can beat each other up a bit when spawning.... the LFS person said they're best to be kept one to a tank .... so similar but certainly not even close to the fresh water fish we know....

So how about it Sarah... marine tank with a marine Betta in it? :)

LOL @ Jarrod.... time to change your logo and add a marine Bettas on one side!!!

Edited by fishbites

The most obvious resemblance is the mouth... don't you worry Jarrod. :)

Yeah, now I look again, I can see it (I do have imagination - yay)!

So how about it Sarah... marine tank with a marine Betta in it?

What is it? First you want me to go all wild Bettas... then cichlids, now marine? *lol*

I can't have everything Wayne! :(

Not big enough and not compatible with what I intend to own. :)

You guys feel free to start a 'Yan's Marine Betta Fund' though.. I'll take a 4 x 2 x 2, nice big sump.. don't skimp on the live rock.. C'mon guys. I'll let you come over and feed it every once in a while.

Hey this may seem a little odd, but this pic has been hanging up on the wall at one of the many places I work for many years. Had caught my eye previously, but I had never paid that much attention to it....Until today!!!! It seems that someone imagined up the marine betta way before Wayne discovered it!!!

IMG_1404.jpg

I haven't gone back to look at the actual picture - coz that might just spoil my little twighlight zone type fantasy about extra-ordinary co-inkidinks! LOL

... oh and @ Yan... according to my unique powers of foresight and (imaginary) link to the twighlight zone.... I can see that someone will give you something some time soon.... hopefully that amazing marine set-up you're talking about (might be a cold or the runs)... but definitely you'll be the recipient of something! ;)