Silly drip system questions

Fletch

Ok, this may be silly but would prefer to ask silly question than make silly mistake.

First spawn in jars and very labour intensive doing water changes. My thought is to use a styrofoam box with two ltr coke bottles in it. With this a third full of water (heater in box) and a pump to circulate the water back into jars. The jars would have a hole in back so overflow runs back into box.

Question, is it ok for the water to drip into top of jars? Will this circulate water in bottom of jar?

Will this mean less water changes as no filtration will be done?

And lastly, not much light will be on the fish. Is this ok.

Thanks guys and gals.

Busman.... light is mainly for the enjoyment of us humans (ie being able to see the colours of our fish better!) so don't worry too much about it....

I use a similar system to what you're proposing except I use some of those plastic under bed storage boxes (with wheels removed).... am thinking of plumbing them so they all run from a sump and thus increasing the total volume of water available to each fish (and diluting the build up of any wastes)....

You will still need to siphon out solid wastes from the bottom of each tank unless the water flow is strong enough to stir it up so it floats out of the overflow holes.... (need to watch its not too strong for the fish though)...... a lot depends on the power of your pump and how much water it sends out through each outlet - use a 4mm line into each tank with a tap so you can control the flow easily....

If you're trying to achieve fewer water changes then it would be better if you could include some filter media in there. Bacteria will stick to the surfaces of the box and jars and you will still get a little bit of filtration happening even without filter media but this might be minimal. However it's a darn sight better than changing water in individual jars.

That's what I was wondering about. Will go see if I can find a cheap pump with a simple sponge filter. Going to Bunnings.

Just a quick thought, if I packed around each jar with filter wool and used this to stop them seeing each other, would this then be a simple filter. Would this work?

that would work but it's messy using filter wool.... see if you can find a place that sells sheets of sponge like that used in sponge filters - Clarke Rubber or similar might have it ... then it's easier to put sheets of sponge between tanks and easier to squeeze out the sponge and put it back... that would work quite well I think....

Nothing stopping you using sheets of sponge... for Bettas it would be firm enough that they couldn't push it out of the way so ...

a sheet of 25 mm coarse sponge should do it.... some places I've seen it sold it is actually 38cm square - just perfect for a 15" x 15" tank.... might need to put a rock each side of each divider for support if the sponge doesn't wedge neatly and firmly into the tank... then set up a small pump to pump water to the opposite end of the tank to give a small current....

Great idea Paul!!

Rather than wedging the foam between rocks, I was thinking about clipping it into those folder spine thingys - others ave used to hold dividers in. Secure it to the tank front and back with the same and you've got removable partitions that are also filters. The question is how thin you can get the foam and whether it'll look any good.

25mm is the thinnest I've seen but I'm sure there's thinner stuff which could be braced in some way - the binder spines would work or even those suction cup brackets I've got could work

If you wanted to go fancy you could attach java moss to the sponge and have a moss wall / filter :)

Great ideas. I set it up today with a little internal filter that I am using as a pump for drip system. Didn't think it would be big enough. It works a treat.

From memory you can by sheets if the scourer that Lilli suggested and cut to size. Love the idea and will think more about it.

My guys are loving there new home. :-)

Looks very serviceable - notice the java moss in the bottom of the bottles too - they should be quite happy in there and nice and insulated if you put the lid on (might have to use a bit of dowel and push it into the ends of the box so you can get the lid on and then you can build up humidity and insulate as well saving on heating during winter - cut a hole in the lid for light and put a piece of glass over it.... hmmm.... must try that myself for next winter and hopefully will save on heating costs....

It is inside and I do live in Brisbane so wasn't going to worry about a lid. Should I ???????? Is humidity that important if not breeding???? What about winter when no humidity????? So many more things to worry about!!!!!!!!

Would have though it would be too dark with a lid unless you had a BIG hole in it, then why bother with the lid.

My next step was another box joined with a hose and larger pump so can heat only one tank with one filter drip feeding both boxes.

Edited by Busman

Humidity is particularly important at about 1-2 months of age when the fry are developing their labyrinth organ. Apparently it is important to keep the temp above the water and in the water the same and the humidiy plays a role in this development too. A lid is not absolutely necessary now, but it does help to keep the warmth in, also helps to prevent too much evaporation, which I've noticed drops the water level in smaller jars considerably, thereby concentrating any waste material further... therefore can mean more frequent water changes. Might not be a huge issue with the drip system, but you can still expect drops in water level if you dont have a lid.

Not too worried about adding water. Not a hassle now I just add to tub. Guess I will be ok with humidity now in summer but in winter that would be an issue. Will figure something out by then. Do have the lid to box so I could cut out two holes and cover with glass. Just worried about light. Don't want to put a light over them, running out of power points.

Also being in styrofoam box should help with heat retention but I guess no lid will greatly reduce that benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Check styrofoam box for leaks. Have noticed this morning that floor was wet. Not complaining considering the weather up north.

After further investigation, there seems to be the slowest leak possible in one corner. Carpet drenched.

Am now using same setup in a tank I had spare. Very lucky that it all fit in tank with no adjustments.

• 1 month later...

You can also use green scourers (eg No Frills ones) - obviously use the ones that are not impregnated with soap, and give them a good soak and rise first just in case they picked up soap dust etc in the factory.

That is very clever.

I just made a Betta Barracks inside a Mac G5 case.Had to made a sump for it.

The sponge (Suitable for immersion) from Clark Rubber is 100mm x 100mm x 25mm and about $7.

http://gallery.me.com/roy.jarvie#100054

Edited by somchai2500