The Betta Australis Fish Grooming Competition

shadoh

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ someone - I do remember the original Aus Betta Forums grooming comp, and the yellow CTs that *ahem* exploded.

I'm so glad you guys are doing this! We have always enjoyed the ones in Sydney, it's a great way to learn and share. And fortunately, none of our fish exploded (at least as far as I am aware, lol).

ah yes, poor ole Mira - I was so upset : (

• 3 weeks later...

Hey 2littlerevheads, I have a spare 50 watt heater if you want to borrow it. I'm heading in to Fishchicks now and will be there until 5pm'ish, or I can bring it to the next meeting.

Peter

Edited by briztoon

Rev head - if you're jarring and want to heat - try the bae-maree style heating - you get a long low container (like an under the bed storage system from K mart) and put 800ml tupperware (or bigger) containers in the storage unit - fill the water up around the jars, and then fill the jars up a little taller than the storage unit.

Oh, and you put one heater in the storage unit. heats everyone!

Works a treat, except you need to WC every 2-3 days.

x

The bae-maree style heating is one of my projects. I watched a couple of videos of the Thai betta farms and thought why can't I do it on a smaller scale. Use a tub, preferably one with a spigot or tap on one end (easy to diy), and jar the bettas in containers that have holes in them at the high water line of the tub.

You can see how the Thai's do water changes at 1:50 in to this video.

Instead of using a hose, my idea is to use a garden watering can, and make one of those hose head attachments the Thai's use and attach it the watering can. When it comes time for water changes, drain the tub by turning the tap on. When the tub is empty, fill the water can with some water from my water barrel that has been pre-heated and water change the jarred bettas the Thai way, 4, 6 or 8 jars at a time.

Then I had a discussion with my dad about this. He's a retired plumber and is a diy home handy man (I'm not). Dad had a better idea. Use the tub with the spigot or tap on. Use a sheet of Perforated Polypropylene Plastic Sheet (<- Link) and place it in the tub as the bottom. It's holes are small enough that the bettas can't fit through, but any waste or uneaten food will eventually fall through the holes. Now the sheet can sit 1cm off the bottom of the tub, or it can sit a couple of cm's off the bottom. It depends on where you want the heater to sit, at one end or under the perforated plastic "bottom".

You can use the same type of perforated plastic to build little cubes or bays that sit on top of the bottom sheet. So in effect you have the tub divided up in to bays. My idea is to put two sponge filters (the type as seen in one of my grow out tanks in the photo below) at on end, that will create a small current through the tub. I'll lay the spunges down so they sit under the bottom sheet of perforated plastic and have the heater under there as well. when it comes to water changes, I just carry the tub out to my front lawn, turn the tap at one end of the tub on, and drain the tub, leaving about 1cm of water in the betta bays. Turn the tap off, carry the tub inside, and refill with water from my water barrel.

Well I hope this all makes sense. If/when I have my first successful spawn, dad and I will make a couple of these tubs. So I'll photograph the making of them.

003-1.jpg

Edited by briztoon

• 1 month later...

Don't forget guys, next week will be the judging of the grooming comp. Bring some or all of your grooming comp fish along.

Here's one of the worst of my batch... No Ventrals :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U40nFoFy4_g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks to all who participated :D

Results were:

Best Male - someone Lea Matheson

Best Female - someone Lea Matheson

Most Developed - someone Lea Matheson

Most Unusual - Paul Duffey

1st Place - someone Lea Matheson

2nd Place - someone Lea Matheson

3rd Place - someone Lea Matheson

Fish were Judged by "Peoples Choice"

1, 2 and 3rd place were the fish that had the most votes in the other categories.

Considering the fish were all the same size at the time of handout, it was surprising to see the difference in size and development at the final judging tonight. someone's fish were massive when compared to all the others. Just shows what a never-ending buffet of live blackworms will do. That's it... It's blackworms for all my future spawns from now on once they are big enough :)

I tried to take photos, but all but one were ruined by reflections...

7d7c80de.jpg