Gold Plakat Male ???? *5 pics*

Phil

Ok, heres the thing.

As some of you may of seen in the other post, i was planning to spawn my grizzle male from vicki, and this gold 'female' from mick.

I decided to let the gold out thismorning and they started fighting, not like male female but like male male fighting. Not really any damage, but definite male flaring.

I took a few pics while they were together since they werent doing any damage (seperated right after)

What do you think?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Phil, at this stage I have to say she is a female. with some bettas, they do not have a definite flaring technique, rather they make one up. For instance, do you remember that steel blue female 4-ray fry with the deformed head that i posted a photo of? well, when she was younger, she was quite aggressive with the males, and flarred exactly like the males did with the males, so I jarred her with her brothers thinking she was a he. about a week later, I noticed that she was FULL of eggs. so maybe you just have a very aggressive female, who isnt ready to spawn yet (i dont see eggs/ovaries) put her in a cylinder in the spawn tank with the male and see if she makes a bubblenest in answer to the other males challenges. ' or, give 'him/her' its own female and see if he wants her and makes a nest :dance: hth

While at first inspection it looks female I just went and had a look at my ladies to compare and in my three paler coloured females there was a definate darker patch behind the pectoral fins, which your goldie doesn't have one visable. I know I'm not the brains in betta breeding but, to me, it looks like a rather fat male with an over prominant egg spot (sure most people have males with them) Then again, I could be wrong

The main things that make me say male is, the more developed gills, the aggressiveness and the fact i cannot see the ovaries through the body. The ventrals are rather long, there is an eggspot, but that is very common with young males. You both have good points :dance:

Phil, look at her gill membrane when she isnt flaring. is it dark colored? (that dont mean nothing, just easier to see) if you can see the gill membrane, and a male-sized portion of it moves downwards/outwards beneath her gills at her throat as she breaths,like a male's does, she may well be male. good luck :dance:

The main things that make me say male is, the more developed gills, the aggressiveness and the fact i cannot see the ovaries through the body. The ventrals are rather long, there is an eggspot, but that is very common with young males. You both have good points :dance:

Have you asked Mick if he got any Plakats in the spawn? With such clear pictures you would think we could be more help, but I have to say I really have no idea :dance: . If I went with my gut feeling I would say a girl. But the lack of a visible egg sack on such a light coloured fish does ring some alarm bells. Sorry not much help am I. Najina

I have to say I really have no idea :dance: . If I went with my gut feeling I would say a girl. But the lack of a visible egg sack on such a light coloured fish does ring some alarm bells.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly what I was thinking.

goes and sits on the fence with Najina

:goodo:

Phil I tried my gold from mick with my yellow BF boy and had the same response. Shes a huge fish and she could flare with the best of them. Her gills were flared out completely and she gave the boy a run for his money. It really did look like 2 boys also. Eventually she calmed down and started playing coy (though the boy is my big gay fish, so it was all fruitless) *runs to get a piccie of girl for show and tell*

Sorry that line doesnt have plakat in it at all and i havent got any out of 4 rather large spawns from the parents .All the females seem to be fairly aggressive in that line but i'm darn near positive she is a she just put her in her jar and feed her up a bit more .I'm sure she will do the job .But I Have Been Wrong BEFORE

Gee Phil, if you can find a boy who's enough of a man for her, she should be a beaut! Really testing out the male's worth is a great advantage in evolutionary terms. 'Survival of the fittest' refers to reproductive fitness and preservation of the best genes, after all. Maybe my boy just needs some lessons in machismo :goodo:

Archived