Nitrates

Bender

My tap water nitrate level is usually around 5ppm, but due to the water smelling more than usual I tested today to find it was up to 10ppm. The only way I can think of to lower it is to use massive tubs with plants in them to age my water. Is there a better/easier way?

10ppm is nothing high. A bit surprising for fresh tap water though.

some filters remove it, but they are expensive, plants sound like a good idea.

bamboo is supposed to do a good job, have the plant emmersed and the roots under water in your aging tub.

Alternatively throw in a couple of fast growing stem plants. You could fill up a take away dish with gravel and just plant them in that in your aging tub.

hth

Thank you all for advice and re-assurance. It just seams so counter intuitive to do water changes when your water already has the chemicals your trying to remove!

I've been very careful of my nitrate levels since I had curled rays in some of my crowntail spawn, thus the interest in keeping them low to nil. The seachem product sounds good, I think I'll invest in it when I do another crowntail spawn. (May be sooner than I planned if my Plakats don't get it on soon!)

On youtube they had a filter system that included a pot of lucky bamboo, which was supposed to remove nitrates. I think the real stuff would look beautiful in a big pot outside. Which other stem plants would you recommend Peter?

Fighterboy, those are great plants for nitrate removal, they keep my outdoor goldfish nice and happy, but I can't be stealing all his water, he won't like it! Actually, best not to admit to the elodea these days, it's banned in NSW, and I think Vic may have banned it too.

Speaking of weeds, there is a massive crop of water hyacinth in the local park, I wonder if it's ok to put it to good use if compost it faithfully when it's done it's job? Will have to check it out, it's probably illegal to even have it.

On youtube they had a filter system that included a pot of lucky bamboo, which was supposed to remove nitrates. I think the real stuff would look beautiful in a big pot outside. Which other stem plants would you recommend Peter?

Just what everyone has suggested.

hygrophila, elodea bacopa. stuff like that.

where do you keep your aging tub ?

I don't have one as yet, I age my water in 12 litre water bottles at the moment because I can stack them out of the way easily and they're not to heavy to carry.

I'm thinking of using a couple of 120 litre storage tubs, (well at least until I get a nice big planted tank to use instead!) They'll have to go outside though, so maybe not ideal?

I was trying to figure out how to cover it an still have emergent growth, but it would probably be easier just to collect the water through a fine strainer.

I think I'll put a hose/pipe with a tap on it in the box so I don't have to scoop the water out, or start a siphon every time I need water. Then it shouldn't be too hard to sit a sieve over the bucket.

Come to think of it, I should probably put the tubs up on bricks or something so it's easy to siphon, would help keep the cane toads out too.

Do I need to put a pump of some sort in for water movement?

• 2 weeks later...

A piece of tulle and some tablecloth weights :(

Ohhh, this is bringing back memories of that outdoor breeding setup and the pot plant filters. But for the ice cold Sydney winters, that might have been a very interesting system indeed. Anyway, quite off-topic!

What about using marginal/bog plants? I'm just thinking that stem plants will be a hassle for pumps and might not cope so well with being put outside in winter (should be fine if they transition through autumn or were outdoors to start with), and the quantity of lucky bamboo you'd need to equal the nitrate-sucking capabilities of standard potplant could get rather exxy. Not sure on the plant type, I'd guess maybe some sort of lily might work, but it could be worth considering. :(

• 5 months later...