Bewdiful

lpiasente

The first girl you can't really see her colour properly. I am a terrible photographer. She is metalic and so bright she looks like she is wearing sequins. I have never seen a girl this colorful before. I need peta or sarah here to take the pic.

the 1st one looks like a metallic blue with masking.

while it's not the clearest pic, I think the second one is a male. Looks like a black lace PK. See how long the ventrals are?

They'd probably make a nice pair (assuming you didn't score 2 males... the first one has a slightly masculine look too, for a reason I can't quite put my finger on! It could be the face ... it also looks like it might sprout, if you jar it.)

I dunno. Most of the HM females I see are very colourful and have longer finnage and PK males including relatively long ventrals. From those pics I couldn't say that they are definitely male or female. I think you'd have a better chance of taking a good close up photo if they were in smaller tank. With compact cameras you want to use your macro setting without zoom which means getting nice and close. And lots of light helps as well. Even in a small tank it can be quite difficult to get a good shot because bettas are so active. So just decide where the 'photo spot' is going to be, set your camera to focus in that area and snap when the fish swims into that area.

Thanks Mike. I will put them in a smaller tank later on in the week and take a photo how you said. I chase them around the tank with the camera and swear my head off at them as they swim away. I really would love to show off their colours especially the girl in the first photo she is magic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry it is definatly later in the week. I shut down my community tank around 3 weeks ago and this was where these 2 lived with a giant female. After adding them to my 450 ltre tank that isn't heavily planted like my community tank was I have been watching them and yep the dark one is definatly a male and I am pretty sure that the metalic is a male as well. Funny thing is they have been living together for about 6 or more months now and get along quite well even with the female. She very much keeps to herself and the boys live up different ends of the tank and have their own little holes in the rock wall. I guess as they were raised together so far so good. There is a bit of chasing and the occasinal fin nipping but nothing compared to what my girls have done in the past. I will keep an eye out for any aggression changes but I guess as the tank is so big they may be able to live together.

Archived