Rainwater Tank!

Chuckie

Hi guys! I have decided I am getting a rainwater tank. I am going to use it for the garden and fishroom only. We'll be running a pipe up the side of the house to the fishroom so I can just turn it on and have rainwater for my waterchanges literally 'on tap", right outside the window!

I'm hoping this sees an end to finrot-on-tap that has plagued my betta keeping for years. Maybe I have a name for my house now: Finrot Flats. LOL!

Any hints/tips from anyone who's used rainwater before? what's a good tank size? I was planning on about 5,000L. probably too much, but it's not like it will go to waste. Imagine being able to water the garden!!! I might actually get on top of the dustbowl my dogs make it!!

I'll probably still use tap water for the brackish and African tanks. Soft water can be scary.

I've had trouble with soot from a wood heater getting into the runoff in the past, but i gather from your location that won't be a problem.

The only thing I'd really recommend is keeping the leaves etc out of the gutters - mega ammonia problems if you don't!

I'd probably go for a plastic one, they won't rust. The water can even be really acidic or alkaline as well.

You gotta way up toxins on the roof from smog going into the tank as well which can cause grief. I remember when I was keeping marine they say not to use rainwater because of all the toxins from the roof and mineral build up. I would worm the fish regularly too as with bird poop on the roof it is bound to get into the tank with rain.

Have you thought about a RO system, 50% RO and 50% tap water, it would halve the amount of impurities from the tap water at the same time.

There would be debates on RW vs RO and the like. Maybe you could search up some for Australia.

No, I'm not interested in RO, too mush waste. :lol:

There are no trees around the roof as it's so high, so leaves won't be much of a problem. I worm the fish anyway, so not too concerned about bird poo. Plus it's a HUGE roof and it will be a huge tank, so a bit of bird poo won't make too much impact. There is a sediment chamber at the bottom so I can't imagine too many worms will free-range in the water column :giggle:.

The tanks I am looking at are big plastic or fibreglass ones.

I won't be plumbing it into the house at all, as that will require a licensed plumber. Just want an alternative to finrot-on-tap, and something to water the "garden" (it is allegedly a garden) with.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had a rainwater tank to do water changes for 5 years(and live in Geelong a relatively industrial town).I have had several occasion when fry would die off (?some toxin) and 1 occasion when something died in a gutter and the water was putrid and killied quite alot of fish.If I had the equipment I would go R/O every time I just dont trust what ends up in the rainwater.I tend now to fill the watertanks from mains ,declorinate it then use it.I think using carbon would be a good idea to remove impuroyies but that would take alot of effort and I have alot of tanks to fill

my tapwater periodically kills fish, so I'm keen to give rainwater a try. My gutters are always going to be pretty clear of leaves (hopefully nothing will die in there!!!!!) and there is a sump before the water is pumped into the tank which should help stop stuff getting in there that I don't want and then dissolving.

Ironic, isn't it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only method I have available is rainwater, I dont have access to tap water at all, as we live on a property.

Do i need to age the rainwater more? I am new to betta's so running it through a carbon filter? do you buy the filter just from a lfs?

kylie

If all you have is rainwater and you aren't on town water at all, then chances are you are already set up with some level of filtration. Lilli's one is not plumbed into the house and is not designed for drinking water (well, the tank might be but the setup isn't) so it currently has no filtration between the tank itself and the fish room outlet. The main thing that you have to look out for is that rainwater tends to be quite soft and that can cause issues with pH, so it might be worthwhile testing what it is out of the tap and, if you can, see if you can get a GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness) readings also.

If the pH is not what you expected, or if you can get the hardness readings, it should be a reasonably simple fix to make your water stable. Steer clear of short term solutions like pH up and down, or bicarb. They have their uses, but are often far more trouble than they are worth.

I always 'pre-filter' the rainwater tank water in my planted tank. I draw water from there for water changes on my other tanks.

I am going to run a canister filter on the planted tank which contains carbon, zeolite and some shell grit.

I understand that you can buy actual rainwater tank filters that filter it between the tank and your tap, as Dallas was telling me at the killie gathering that he has them on his rainwater tanks.

Archived