Betta refuses to eat pellets....

chromis

I fed live blackworms to my new Betta for almost a week, and when they ran out, decided to try feeding him some HBH Betta Bites. At first he completely ignored them, and then gobbled down a few, only to spit them out in litte pieces again :P

Then I got him some freeze dried brine shrip, and tried feeding those both whole and crumbled up..... same results!

After three days, he still doesn't seem to want the pellets >.< I even called up the pet store where I got him, and they said they fed pellets to all the Bettas.

I also tried giving him a peeled fresh pea, but he just watched it sink to the bottom, then came back to look at it a few times, and now forgot about it.

I have frozen bloodworms in the freezer, but I was going to feed them to him a bit later, when he got used to the pellet foods. I might try it tomorrow anyway *sigh* Am I supposed to defrost them first?

Also, the Betta is completely healthy, behaving as always, shows no signs of illness, and is efficiently rebuilding his bubblenest. I just wish he'd eat :P

maybe the pellets are too big in which case you could crush them up.....dont panic too much he will eat before starving , its all about survival.

I know its too late now but in future start them on the pellets from day one and use worms etc as a treat.

Agree with Juseb and Rod on that one :lol:

Maybe you could try a different kind of pellet, there are several types around. Maybe the pellet is too big, try crushing it into smaller pieces.

And I agree don't feed him for a few days, by then he'll be hungry enough and should eat whatever you offer if you keep offering it.

Also when offering make sure to remove the uneaten food so it doesn't rot if he doesn't eat it within a few minutes.

i find that if i crush or split the pellets my bettas will eat them. If i dont split them then they'll just spit it back out. I think mine are just lazy to chew too much lol.

give splitting it in two with your finger nail. other than that starving them will also give good results even if it is a bit cruel.

Now he eats, the pellets, but slowly. Most sources say to remove everything he doesn't eat in three minutes, but he takes longer than that to eat about 4 small pellets!

These are not the big pellets I think.... Well, not as big as a lot of the others for sale in the pet shop. I'll buy some Hikari as well, so see if he likes them better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived