A friend for the Betta?

chromis

This is something I am considering for when I get a bigger tank (15L or so probably). Are there any reasonably easy to maintain fish that would get along with the Betta? Both pet shops I asked about this said that the Betta will brutally murder any other fish, and one of the sales people even told me that the Bettas like to live in a tiny little fish bowl all alone because that's similar to their native environment.

Of course, I read otherwise on the itnernet, but it's still hard to discern fact from fiction. I would rather not take risks, but a fellow fish would probably add more interest to a Betta's life, especially if there is room for it.

I have also heard that the Betta will kill snails, or bit off their antennae. Does anyone know if that's true?

im not sure about the snail thing but as for the fish thing, i have heard of oscars becoming friends with feeders ect so it depends totaly depends on the fishes personality, and if they like the other fish, just like marraige lol oh well :rant:

try doing what you would do if breeding bettas, slowly introdusing the fish in a container with holes so he can smell and see the fish, try going for somthing like a corrie or something like, that, tetras could be risky and danios are to speedy, stressing the betta.

hope i helped

:P Gaza :P

Yeah I noticed mine liked to hang around the snail - and deliberately sit in it's path while it moved.... then occasionally they would take a nip, but I think they realise they more they nip, the more it becomes a stationary object... The girls also enjoyed hiding behind the snail in the spawn tank...

Well, so far I have a snail but no Betta yet. Maybe if he sees that the snail was originally part of the tank, he will be less likely to kill it. I might try to get a catfish as well, they are really awesome. I just hope it manages to survive.

I've had bettas that kill snails. But I've only had ramshorn and small pond snails rather than apple snails. I think they did it to spite me after I made a post that said I've never had a betta that ate snails.

There are quite a few fish that will get along with a betta eg. harlequin rasboras, kuhli loaches, flying foxes, corys. 15 ltrs is not that big though so you won't be able to fit too many in there.

I tried a mystery snail with one of my boys.....It was great entertainment for my fighter coz he thought the snail was a soccer ball and would roll him ....but then I felt sorry for the snail and put him in my community tank.

Did also try whitclouds with my boys but they turned out to be just nasty little nippers.

I've never had a problem with my boys and snails of any size... if they've never had them with them before they might take a nip at them for the 1st few days but they lose interest very quickly when they realise they're not food!

Bristlenose are also not a problem, I've had boys and girls follow them around a bit but never attacking... I think just as long as the tankmate isn't colourful or have elaborate finnage then most bettas will leave them alone. Just make sure your tankmate is a peaceful one ^_^

What filter are you running? A BN cat should be fine with the betta, but geez they produce a lot of waste. Apple snails aren't all that tidy either Just watch that your filter is doing an adequate job with solids. It is - wastewise, not sizewise yet - too big for the size tank that you have it in, so be careful.

When people say that small tanks are tricky to maintain, they aren't kidding. There is very little margin for error and with that stocking level you aren't going to be able to let the tank do it's own thing. IF the extra inhabitants cause a problem with your biofilter and water quality (and sometimes it can potter along without a hitch, so don't panic :) ) then it'll be a fairly big problem and it'll get serious quickly. Make sure you have a nice big bucket and some non-iodized salt handy, and if you don't have them already, I'd get ammonia and nitrite test kits :D It IS doable, it just has the potential to go south and I don't want you to get caught (especially with the BN, cause they are exxy!)

• 2 weeks later...

My bristlenose turned out to be a Cory, because of the pet shop people's mistake. But I don't mind, they seem quite happy together.

My filter is doing well, the water is pretty clear so far, without too much waste gathering anywhere. Well, some bits in the gravel, but I take it that's normal.

Archived