cleaning jars

thegatti

No, no, no... I don't use airline in jars. If I'm doing 100% waterchange I just tip everything out into a bucket, wash the jar with one of those dishwashing mop thingys and refill with clean water, and grab the fish from out of the bucket. If I'm only doing a partial water change, I tip the dirty water 25-50% into a bucket, leave the fish in the jar, use a turkey baster to siphon out poo, then refill with clean water.

it stands to reason that changing the water will improve growth rates, as you remove, at best nitrate and at worst, ammonia and/or nitrite, all of which will inhibit the fishes' growth, especially if you feed heavily for rapid growth (not something I endorse). I rarely actually clean the jars though, just change the water. I figure that if there's nitrifying bacteria on the surface in there, all the better.

it stands to reason that changing the water will improve growth rates, as you remove, at best nitrate and at worst, ammonia and/or nitrite, all of which will inhibit the fishes' growth, especially if you feed heavily for rapid growth (not something I endorse). I rarely actually clean the jars though, just change the water. I figure that if there's nitrifying bacteria on the surface in there, all the better.

What is nitrifying bacteria?? Sorry but I am a newbie. :)

for now i just use hot water and a bottle brush to clean the jars. They get slimy on the inside (gross).

How many times a week do you change the water? I try to clean them every 3 days if possible.

fish produce ammonia as a waste product... this is POISON to fish.

By allowing GOOD bacteria (nitrifying) to build up in the tanks (on gravel and plants etc) you will find it easier and need less water changes.

fish = ammonia

ammonia = poison

good bacteria + ammonia = NITRITE

NITRITE = poison

Nitrite + another good bacteria = NITRATE

NITRATE = NOT poison

so once both good bacteria have established in your tank the tank is said to be "Cycled" meaning you should only need to water change once every now and then as the good bacterias will take care of the ammonia and nitrites making it safe for your fishies! This is what we mean by a biological filter - these bacteria :)

hope that helps you!

Thanks for the chemistry lesson. :) That helped heaps. This site should really be called "Bettas for Dummies" but i suppose you wouldn't get many people in here with that name would you? lol.

Most of my jars hold 1L of water and some hold a bit less - 500ml min

It's sooo hard to find decent sized jars especially when I was naughty and waited till after the fry hatched and were free swimming to find every container I could lay my hands on. Well at least I don't keep them in cups that would stunt their growth.

:)

Archived