Betta Food

brettc777

The only reasoned i asked is i bought some

I was browsing through Big W and found myself in the fish section (how bizzare lol) and i seen it there and thought what it would it be like, I did a shake test to see if it was little balls or flake. I was tempted to open it up but im not like that so i bought it. Was only $2.89 for 57gms anyway. I opened it as soon as i got out of the shop... it was very fine bits wouldnt even call them balls... they do have some roundness lol. The little "balls" are about the size of a betta egg.

Thought to myself "is this to fine?" ill see how it goes. I think it might be a good transitional food for fry that move from small live food to dry food.

oh oh and it had a metallic gold lid.... mmmm gold lol ....SOLD! kidding im not that easily won over by metallics things ... on second thought, i take that back as metallic bettas are my favourite! lol

I haven't bought it myself. I have Wardley Betta food. My bettas love it! I dunno about my fry though. It's soo hard to try and get them to eat dry food.

Getting back to your bargain at Big W. I got mine from a LPS for $15, then I happened to find that one in Big W, which is the same size and nearly screamed :lol:

My advice is to try the cheap ones first and if mr betta spits that out then go get something else.

Have you tried Frozen Brine shrimp? $8 later and I find out my boys don't like it one bit.

Oh well. THEY ARE JUST SOOO PICKY! :lol:

Hi Betta Girl well the thing is i dont have any fish yet LOL. I have my tanks and food etc but no fish :) Im going to get some this weekend though. Ill let you know how i go with the new fish food. I use to feed my bettas white ants (ground dwelling termmites) my dad feeds them to his birds. My Fish loved it back then, they would jump out of the water trying to get them if i had them close. After feeding them this food they went really dark in there colours, made them look so much nicer.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know whats in them theres no ingredient list on the pack but the pellets are small which my fish seem to prefer.and they float for heaps. Ive got the bigger sea chem betta banquet but they spit them out maybe there to hard..

Can you give us more details on the termites? Do you culture them yourself? Do you have to keep them secure so they don't escape and eat your house from under you?

Sorry Mike didn’t see that you’re posted!

Well you can get these termites from areas that have soft dirt. Usually dry wood forests. The nests look like round beach balls only made out of dirt. They can range in size from a basketball size to well...huge!! lol most common size is between a bit smaller then a beach ball. Half of the nest is in the ground and the other half is out of the ground. So to answer your question Mike I don’t culture them. I don’t get them anymore either.

Please note that if you don’t know someone who owns a property with these on them then you should be aware of laws in your State to whether it’s legal to collect them.

I’m pretty sure they eat decaying cellulose matter only (which includes wood) so I would advise keeping them in a large container so they don’t get out.

These guys a full of protein and make your fish colour up really well!

To be honest its a lot of effort to get these if you’re not close to a property that has them on them. Have to use shovels to get them out of the ground and at times large (2-3cm) black ants have taken over the nest and if these little guys bite you ... well it won’t be pleasant.

I wouldn't recommend a product without any analysis or ingredients. I mean, they're probably for herbivores rather than for carnivores. I'll look for high protein and low in fat for my betta.

I also hated seachem, they're just ridiculously huge, it barely fit into my betta's mouth. I had to break it into pieces before feeding it to my fish.

My 2 personal favorites are HBH Betta bites and Hikari Bio-Gold. (HBH are much cheaper and widely available, though it is high in fat).

I never knew termite can be a source of food.... Great idea!!!

Well you have to be careful what you feed. Cant just go out and feed them normal ants becuase they are very acidic! Termites dont contain acid like normal ants do. Just dont feed them soilder termites.. if you seen one you will know why i said that... they have huge nippers!!

You can find white eggs from normal ants ....they should be fine as they havent developed the acidic gland inside of them.

Brett, what does the food taste like? Compare it to a known good quality brand.

would advise against cheap food. you don't have to go 5 star all the way - but let's be realistic.....you spend a large sum of cash on an imported prima dona - and then offer it flavoured cardboard - false economy.

cheers, J

Thanks someone for the heads up.

But i mainly feed 95% freeze dried food as i dont really like give them the vitapet stuff. The Vitapet food smells like your normal flake food.... they all smell the same to me :lol:

Sorry dont worry im not giving my fish crap food! i dont wont to give some live food like blood worms because of containments/parasites in the live food (mostly water borne food).

I can assure you that my guys are looking great! well one not so great after he jumped into the next compartment to start a fight but he's doing great! my fish have really coloured up and have really deep colours now! :D

Love the passion someone!!!! even if im getting in trouble hehe but your advice is good! :D

Since, this is pretty much related..

Does anyone here feed their betta with Hikari Bloodworm?

The Guarantee analysis says min crude protein 6.0% does that mean the whole cube, or just one bloodworm on average?

Lastly, how many am I suppose to feed these bloodworm to my betta (i usually feed bloodworm around once or twice a week)?

thx

erwin

I used to feed it, but sadly am now very allergic.

The analysis would be on the entire mix, so the whole cube. Per worm would probably be higher for protein because it wouldn't be including the water surrounding them to freeze them into cubes, minimal though that is.

I put my frozen food cubes into a disposable plastic cup with some water and use an eye dropper (try the baby medicine ones from the chemist) to feed it out. If you have less fish/tanks, cut the cube up before you defrost in the cup.

How does this one stand up..its pro choice floating pellets.crude protien 37% crude fibre 3% moisture 10% fat 5% crude ash 12% he is keen on it..I bought the sea chem pellets which he kept spitting out and the Vita pet which he eats but am dubious to feed as theres no ingredient list. Ive also got frozen bloodworm which he loooves but dont know how often to feed this to him.Is this enough or should I be feeding something else as well?Flake food just ends up on the bottom of the tank. THanks

• 2 weeks later...

all my adults are quite happy with three pellets a day. :) Forget flake food! I tried and tried and tried again (didn't have anything else at this stage) and all it did was pollute the tank and my bettas would rather starve to death than eat that "rubbish" lol. Check their reaction next time you try feeding them flakes. :)

Umm another related question.

How much pellets do you guys feed ur betta fish a day?? my betta living in 2.5 gallon tank is fed with 4 pellets in the morning and 2-3 at night.

How much Frozen bloodworm do you feed ur betta in a day?? i fed mine around 10 frozen bloodworm, and fast for the next day.

umm sorry for side-tracking the thread once again, but I dont think starting a new thread for this question is a good idea :)

thanks.

Erwin

10 worms sounds like too much in 1 sitting. A betta's stomach is the size of its eye - so there's a good guide as to how little they really need to eat in a feeding.

I feed once a day, every 2nd day, unless I am growing up juvies or conditioning, then it's twice a day, every day.

you didn't really side track at all, thanks for keeping the thread going Erwin! Much appreciated :) :)

Archived